Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2022 7:46:52 AM EDT
What is the general consensus on these?

Link Posted: 12/18/2022 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a beautiful rifle and I'd love to have one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going with the first post.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a beautiful rifle and I'd love to have one.
View Quote

Agreed but  how well are these buit by Uberti?
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one in 45colt. Taylor and Co 1873 short rifle. Built like a tank. My only complaint is uberti uses soft screws. I have replaced the screws on the side plate.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Above is correct. Great Rifles but soft screws.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
These rifles are beautifully made, probably better than the originals.  That said, I would not expect one to withstand the pounding of several hundred .357 Mag rounds.  The action design does not encourage it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd get one with a tuned action from:

https://www.longhunt.com/web/index.php?page=cowboy-action-shooting

Down the line, add a bullet alignment kit to it.

https://onlineoutpost.net/collections/all-gun-parts/products/1873-1866-bullet-alignment-kit-w-spring-and-follower-2

"All 1873 reproduction rifles are fitted with a 45- colt magazine tube from the factory regardless of caliber. When loading rounds into the 357 caliber rifles the bullets cannot align properly in the magazine tube due to the over -sized diameter of the factory tube. This staggered bullet effect will cause a slight hanging feel in your rifle making it OAL sensitive. This Alignment Kit will eliminate this issue."
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
These rifles are beautifully made, probably better than the originals.  That said, I would not expect one to withstand the pounding of several hundred .357 Mag rounds.  The action design does not encourage it.
View Quote

Would you say they are not as durable as Henry offerings?
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Where did you get that info from?

This is from the manual:
Use ONLY COMMERCIALLY loaded cartridges that have been loaded in accor-
dance with SAAMI-C.I.P. standards.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not knowledgeable about Henrys.  The toggle link action of the 66,73 and 76 rifles is simply not strong enough for cartridges like .357 Mag.  In a similar vein; there is not a lot you could do to a Carcano action to make it handle .300 WSM.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not knowledgeable about Henrys.  The toggle link action of the 66,73 and 76 rifles is simply not strong enough for cartridges like .357 Mag.  In a similar vein; there is not a lot you could do to a Carcano action to make it handle .300 WSM.
View Quote

Beg to differ with you @Mindless.

I used a 2000 vintage Uberti in 44-40 with full house black powder loads for Cowboy Action Shooting for several years. I was shooting 205 grain cast bullets over 38 grains of black powder. Those loads chronographed an average of 1175 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. Pretty stout and not far off a 158 grain 357 at around 1000-1100 fps. Original factory back in the day was a 200 gr bullet at 1250 fps. And that out of guns with 100 plus year old metallurgy. My modern rifle was made of sterner stuff.

I personally shot a few thousand of my loads out of my rifle over 5 seasons of CASS shooting with zero mechanical issues whatsoever.

And I can say with complete confidence that Uberti would not have made and sold the 1873 design chambered in 357 without them being completely confident in the action's ability to handle the cartridge's energy. Not in today's litigious society.

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
People will argue about the magnum issues until they are blue in the face.  Some peeps say the actual receiver may stretch.  Others mention the toggle link design.

How many full-house-wrecking .357Mags does a buyer actually put through one of them?  Probably not enough to actually have an issue.

I bought mine for .38spl.  It is a beautiful rifle and works smooth as glass.  I like it a lot and have had zero alignment or feed issues.  The Winchester/Miroku version is also very nice.

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is from the manual:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is from the manual:

It's because of the mechanism with the toggle link.  It's probably fine but there is a reason Browning invented the 1892.

The Uberti's are nicely made, I have one in .44-40.  The only negatives are that excess reddish stain on the wood rubbed off all over my hands the first time I shot it, and one of the screws on the receiver was so tight it broke the screw driver I was using and I had to drill it out and replace it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#14]
The majority of buyers for this rifle will be shooting 10's of thousands of powder puff 38 special out them for cowboy action.
That being said, I highly doubt anyone here is going to wear one these out with 357 magnum ammo.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's because of the mechanism with the toggle link.  It's probably fine but there is a reason Browning invented the 1892.

The Uberti's are nicely made, I have one in .44-40.  The only negatives are that excess reddish stain on the wood rubbed off all over my hands the first time I shot it, and one of the screws on the receiver was so tight it broke the screw driver I was using and I had to drill it out and replace it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is from the manual:

It's fine...the action of the 1873 is considerably stronger than most people realize
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's fine...the action of the 1873 is considerably stronger than most people realize
View Quote

Especially when you consider that the follow on rifle, the 1876 was the same design made with a longer frame, and chambered in even more powerful cartridges. Sure, the parts were likely beefier and stronger, but it was the SAME design. And again, it was with 19th century metallurgy.

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Nobody likes to admit that their rifle might be weak or inferior, we all get it. The 73 is a great gun for cowboy action shooting.

If your buying the 73 to shoot .357 magnum loads the actions going to wear out A LOT FASTER then say a 92, that's a no brainer. That doesn't mean it won't last your life time, but I want my guns to last my life time, my sons and grandsons life time's.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Beg to differ with you @Mindless.

I used a 2000 vintage Uberti in 44-40 with full house black powder loads for Cowboy Action Shooting for several years. I was shooting 205 grain cast bullets over 38 grains of black powder. Those loads chronographed an average of 1175 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. Pretty stout and not far off a 158 grain 357 at around 1000-1100 fps. Original factory back in the day was a 200 gr bullet at 1250 fps. And that out of guns with 100 plus year old metallurgy. My modern rifle was made of sterner stuff.
View Quote

Full house 357 Magnum loads are waaaay more potent that .44-40 BP loads.   I've never seen anyone refer to the black powder .44-40 load as stout before.
Max pressure for .44-40 is 13,000 cup or 11,000 psi, while Max SAAMI pressure for the .357 is 45,000 cup or 35,000 psi.  Big, big difference.

158gr @ 1000-1100 f/s is in the ballpark of what you should expect from a .38 Special +P out of a rifle length barrel (or a .357 Mag out of a 3" revolver).  A full power 158 gr .357 Magnum should reach 1700+ f/s out of a rifle length barrel.

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 12:56:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Full house 357 Magnum loads are waaaay more potent that .44-40 BP loads.   I've never seen anyone refer to the black powder .44-40 load as stout before.
Max pressure for .44-40 is 13,000 cup or 11,000 psi, while Max SAAMI pressure for the .357 is 45,000 cup or 35,000 psi.  Big, big difference.

158gr @ 1000-1100 f/s is in the ballpark of what you should expect from a .38 Special +P out of a rifle length barrel (or a .357 Mag out of a 3" revolver).  A full power 158 gr .357 Magnum should reach 1700+ f/s out of a rifle length barrel.

View Quote

I agree with you Karl_Withakay. In my mind I was referencing generic pistol loads primarily. Never spent a lot of time with a 357 rifle other than a Marlin about 25 years ago that I never could get to shoot worth a damn. Point being that the 1873 action is a lot stronger than most people will accept and believe in. Any given bullet weight at a given velocity will generate a given amount of energy regardless of bore size. Can't escape that reality.

And as I said in a later post, no way Uberti would have chambered and sold that design in 357 mag unless they had faith that it would hold up to the ammo likely to be used in it.

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a Miroku/Winchester '73 in .357 Mag. If the rifle wasn't built to handle a diet of nothing but .357 Mag, they wouldn't have proofed it and instead released in in .38 Special only. Mine will see nothing but Mag loads. Guess it's my funeral...
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I FOed

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd like to find a .357 like that.  There's a 44-40 and a 44 mag locally, not really setup to reload right now, even though I have a Dillon in the barn.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd like to find a .357 like that.  There's a 44-40 and a 44 mag locally, not really setup to reload right now, even though I have a Dillon in the barn.
View Quote

It was...expensive.
The reduced throw action is as slick as snail snot.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It was...expensive.
The reduced throw action is as slick as snail snot.
View Quote

I want to try one with the short throw. I like the Marlin guns for the most part but even the normal Uberti guns are really smooth in comparison from what I've felt.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine is in .45 Colt, 20 inch octagonal barrel.  Like the photo's, gun is really gorgeous.   That said, paid premium for "competition tuned" from factory so disappointing that the POA, POI was so far off.   Using 200gr/6.2gr Trailboss at 25 yards printed 4 inches off to the right.   And amen, the screws are soft!  My Uberti 66 is super accurate and slick, so I am still a Uberti fan, but this is not my favorite gun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

This thread put me over the edge, only in .44 mag.  US Marshal Indian Territory.
If you think a '73 action can't handle .357, let's see what this thing does.
Now I need a revolver and some dies. Bullets.

I like the blue a little more than cch.

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

People will argue about the magnum issues until they are blue in the face.  Some peeps say the actual receiver may stretch.  Others mention the toggle link design.  

How many full-house-wrecking .357Mags does a buyer actually put through one of them?  Probably not enough to actually have an issue.

I bought mine for .38spl.  It is a beautiful rifle and works smooth as glass.  I like it a lot and have had zero alignment or feed issues.  The Winchester/Miroku version is also very nice.

https://i.imgur.com/E3NsQWn.jpg
View Quote

Not only that but if you have a Lyman 50th edition reloading manual handy, it includes a lengthy article on loading super hot .45LC loads for the 1873 rifle, up to and past .44 magnum ballistics. They do make it clear that this should only be done using modern rifles and not antiques due to the difference in steel quality.  In fact, they recommend the Uberti and Taylor's for this.

Modern steel in an 1873 is plenty strong to shoot full house loads all day long, year after year. Do you really think they would market a caliber and action combination that isn't safe to use with full strength factory loads?  LOL!!!

People keep repeating this nonsense. I have no idea why.

I own an Uberti Sporting Special in .45LC. It's an exquisite rifle, and no, I've never bothered to load super hot rounds for it as it's just a target and plinking gun for me.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

300 WSM very probably is too much but I recall reading the testing of the 7.35 Carcano guns.  Like the Arisakas they may be clunky but they weren’t weak actions.

I see talk of a guy stopping at 90,000 (cup i think) pressure testing carcano.  None blew up and the headspace was still good.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

and you have so much more knowledge than the engineers at Winchester and Uberti ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes! and if you like dressing up and have fun - join SASS!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have a Miroku/Winchester '73 in .357 Mag. If the rifle wasn't built to handle a diet of nothing but .357 Mag, they wouldn't have proofed it and instead released in in .38 Special only. Mine will see nothing but Mag loads. Guess it's my funeral...
View Quote

I guess we can have dual funerals. I also have a Miroku/Winchester '73 in .357 Mag. I am waiting on it to blow up any time now. NOT! I agree that the model 92 is a stronger action. Do you really believe the new model 1873 will fail, with all of the lawyers salivating to go after a firearms manufacturer?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I guess we can have dual funerals. I also have a Miroku/Winchester '73 in .357 Mag. I am waiting on it to blow up any time now. NOT! I agree that the model 92 is a stronger action. Do you really believe the new model 1873 will fail, with all of the lawyers salivating to go after a firearms manufacturer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. We should have a competition to see which one of us gets blown up first.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a 24in Special Sporting Rifle in .45 Colt from 2011-2021,. unfortunately I sold it to fund an IWI ACE Carbine

This past February I picked up another one in the same configuration as I'd had before.... this one is even better. Lighter trigger, lighter lever safety spring, sights are right on.

I finally got around to shooting it this past Tuesday and was stupid impressed with it

Attachment Attached File

A Model 1873 is an absolute must have, while they're not the strongest rifle out there, there is something just right about them
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
full house black powder loads
View Quote

the pressure curve on Black Powder is different than with smokeless
that's why there are N-SSA competitors using original Civil War era muskets in competition today.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#36]
How To Blow Up An Old Winchester
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top