Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2020 9:55:35 PM EDT
I have a possible line on some AP rounds which at least from my searching seem pretty rare.  I've got lots of ball, tracer, and API but am considering adding these.  There is also a load of ball with it and some old blue tip.  If you could get it all at $2.50 a round, Fo or no Fo??
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get it
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#3]
$2.50 is a good price at the moment. I was buying it at that back in May, though, and expect it to get back there sooner or later.

ETA - AP doesn't seem to be in high demand. People want some to have but very few places allow 50BMG and those that do won't allow AP or API. Fun to have but likely something you won't get much mileage out of.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I would be inclined to take that deal.  Looks like some factory M33 and tracer.  Can't tell if the black tips are factory loads but they appear to be from what I can tell.  Check the dates on the black tip as it could be corrosive if it's old enough.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#6]
The seller has stated they are all factory rounds and not remanufactured so I too assume the older rounds are corrosive.  I didn't catch the red/black not being US issued.  I assumed they were AP-T.  No pull marks on any pictures I saw. Its from a pretty old stash so I doubt its reloaded.  I can view the ammo in person before finalizing the deal. I bought 445 rounds for $1150.....Its only money..Right??
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#7]
black tip is best tip
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't tell much from the photo angle.  The tracers without ID cannelures look like the older color code shade, 1950's vintage, but this statement doesn't mean they are factory or not.  Again the angle of the photos limits conclusions.  Black/Red tip colors look like the Russian 12.7 shades, API, but there's still a possibility of it being AP(HC)T from Canada, C44.  There was a considerable amount of Russian 12.7 projectiles for sale on the internet in the last year.  All those bullets went somewhere.  Russian 12.7 API and C44 AP(HC)T have the same color code, but the shades of red and black the two calibers used was noticeably different.  Photos of the side of the cartridge and photos of the headstamps would tell more, but considering the amount of ammo at hand, it's understandable that pix become a difficult task.

For factory ammo, assuming all actually is factory, $2.50 round is a little better than the best price currently available.  Black box American Eagle has been available as cheap as $19.95/box of 10, but none are for sale at this price currently that I know of.  Recoil Gun Works had 4:1 LC M33 Ball/M17 Tracer at the best price I know of at present, $2.65/round.  You may encounter some individual seller who may have $2.50 or $2/round.  But this all assumes Factory and a lot of ammo is for sale on the internet as "factory," only because of the headstamp, but that doesn't mean anything.  Fired cases reloaded still have the same headstamp as when they were brand new.  So I always take a claim of "factory" with a grain of salt till I see the rounds or supporting pix.  (To me, "factory" means the round was loaded by the company whose name or code is on the headstamp.)  "Reloaded," "Manufactured," "Remanufactured," etc. should price significantly less than "Factory."  No more than $2/round.  Projectile will determine just where that price lands.

Hope this helps some.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#10]
$2 per round and I might get excited
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't tell much from the photo angle.  The tracers without ID cannelures look like the older color code shade, 1950's vintage, but this statement doesn't mean they are factory or not.  Again the angle of the photos limits conclusions.  Black/Red tip colors look like the Russian 12.7 shades, API, but there's still a possibility of it being AP(HC)T from Canada, C44.  There was a considerable amount of Russian 12.7 projectiles for sale on the internet in the last year.  All those bullets went somewhere.  Russian 12.7 API and C44 AP(HC)T have the same color code, but the shades of red and black the two calibers used was noticeably different.  Photos of the side of the cartridge and photos of the headstamps would tell more, but considering the amount of ammo at hand, it's understandable that pix become a difficult task.

For factory ammo, assuming all actually is factory, $2.50 round is a little better than the best price currently available.  Black box American Eagle has been available as cheap as $19.95/box of 10, but none are for sale at this price currently that I know of.  Recoil Gun Works had 4:1 LC M33 Ball/M17 Tracer at the best price I know of at present, $2.65/round.  You may encounter some individual seller who may have $2.50 or $2/round.  But this all assumes Factory and a lot of ammo is for sale on the internet as "factory," only because of the headstamp, but that doesn't mean anything.  Fired cases reloaded still have the same headstamp as when they were brand new.  So I always take a claim of "factory" with a grain of salt till I see the rounds or supporting pix.  (To me, "factory" means the round was loaded by the company whose name or code is on the headstamp.)  "Reloaded," "Manufactured," "Remanufactured," etc. should price significantly less than "Factory."  No more than $2/round.  Projectile will determine just where that price lands.

Hope this helps some.

Thank you!! Helps a bunch.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#12]
What are the headstamps on the blacktip?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#13]
As far as effectiveness and terminal performance, are the black tips any more effective that the API or APIT??  Will API kill a bigger truck or tyranosaur???

Just curious.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As far as effectiveness and terminal performance, are the black tips any more effective that the API or APIT??  Will API kill a bigger truck or tyranosaur???

Just curious.

Doc
View Quote

There are better people to answer but the story I recall is the AP was discontinued and replaced with API. The mil thought if its worth AP, a little I will help.

From a shooting perspective, a decade ago, AP bullets were about the same price as other surplus bullets, more consistent/accurate, and don't pose the fire risk. Alot of the ball bullets were fairly inconsistent shooters. The new production ball bullets may be more similar to what we'd expect from a factory bullet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What are the headstamps on the blacktip?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I think that's twin cities WWII vintage ammo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top