BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
(Part 2)
Once, I started needing to access the unit more frequently again the battery replacing was becoming a real nuisance. So, I called AMSEC tech support again. I was told my unit was out of warranty and there wasn’t anything they could do. They gave me a local locksmiths contact info that sells AMSEC safes. Needless to say, I wasn’t very happy with that answer and asked that they look at the fact that this issue started immediately after buying the safe. Again, I was still told there was nothing they could do. I was also lucky enough to get a long lecture from the technician about how I should stay more on top of things since it had been a while since I first reported the issue. I needed my safe working correctly, I did not need a lecture.

I went on dealing with the battery issue after that call until finally the keypad just stopped working. I reached out to AMSEC tech support again and was lucky enough to get a very helpful tech that immediately sent out a new keypad. He was actually the first tech that acknowledged that there was a known issue. (And, per TSG, AMSEC may have just found out themselves.) The tech stated that I may need a completely new unit and that would require a locksmith to come out and change out the internal locking system. But, unfortunately that would be on my dime. I asked “why” if this was a known issue now and that my initial call on the problem was while the unit was still under warranty. The tech said I could most certainly try and take it up the food chain and see if anything might be done, but lets see if the a new keypad my fix things first.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#2]
(Part 3)
I received the new keypad and replaced the old unit and luckily the new keypad gave me access to the safe again. However; the batteries continued needing to be replaced every month to two months. I decided to just deal with the battery issue rather than have to fight AMSEC for a complete new lock mechanism and the expense of hiring a locksmith to replace the unit. Well that was a bad decision, my keypad just acted up again and only the “C” button beeps and none of the other buttons function. Once again, I cannot access my safe. I am hoping the internal locking mechanism hasn’t finally completely failed now.

I have tried to contact AMSEC, but it seems they are completely shut down at this time. Understandable, due to the COVID 19 shut downs. But, I do wish they at least they had some sort of email or chat type support at this time. So, I have no way of trying any troubleshooting techniques to get the ESL5 working enough to at least get the safe open so the proper fix can be done. I am guessing I have had a bad internal locking mechanism since day one. I just wish AMSEC tech support would have sent me out a complete replacement a long time ago or at least once they new they had an issue. And, after doing some research it isn’t that hard to do a complete replacement of the lock mechanism.

Hopefully, TSG is still around on this site and can provide some direction. My other AMSEC safe with the mechanical lock has never given me problems and has always been a wonderful safe.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Goodluck Boomstick.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks recondodan. Still not into the safe and hoping I can get in touch with someone from AMSEC.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry you had problems with your safe. I see that the issue was resolved in another thread. I hope to your satisfaction. Sorry I missed this thread, I would have stepped in to assist had I been keeping up with my ARFCOM lurking, but this pandemic has everyone in a weakened state and we have been staffing a small skeleton crew servicing only the organizations we were allowed to assist, namely food services and super market chains.

If there is anything I can do, please send me a PM.

TSG
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Much appreciated SFG.

AMSEC did take care of everything and I applaud them/you for standing by their/your products. I will certainly pass on that fact to others that ask me safe advice in the future.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I am also now a member here due to AMSEC ESL5 issues. My safe is 2 years old and the battery for the keypad is lasting about a week or 5 opening cycles. The problem developed suddenly about 2 months ago. I called AMSEC and was told I am out of warranty and to contact a local dealer to purchase a new keypad. I asked about upgrading to a different style and was told they could not make a recommendation.

I have emailed TSG directly for suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
 I have emailed TSG directly for suggestions.  
View Quote

No offense against Tony, but it's not as if he's going to hop on an airplane to fly out to take care of your issues.  When you guys have a problem with your cars do you contact the executives at the manufacturer or talk to your dealer?

If you have a problem with your safe you should reach out to your dealer.  They will be the ones best able to take care of it for you.

And to quickly answer your question, yes, the lock on your safe can be swapped to something more reliable.

Link Posted: 10/26/2021 1:15:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I am also having the same exact issue as mentioned in previous posts.  The ESL5 lock no longer accepts my code.  I purchase the Safe back in 2012 and it has work fine up until this past week.  Though i did notice i need to change batteries much more frequently the past couple years.  I have emailed AMSEC and they sent a PDF copy of the operating instructions as well as asked for my Serial Number.  I sent the requested information and have not had a reply yet...
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#10]
^^^^  Electronic locks fail.  Being almost 10 years old I'm not shocked, but you're well outside of the warranty period.  Around here the average cost to drill open, repair, and install a replacement lock would run in the $600 range.  The ESL-10 is a much better lock than the ESL-5.

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Just discovered this site and instantly joined. Great group on here.

Count me in as another lucky 2012 winner with a bad ESL-5. I had problems from first purchase but never accessed the gun safe enough to think it was anything other than too much time between attempts (about once a year access for the first few years). It is only now in the last year that I've had a reason to get in there more frequently and hence, discovered the problem well out of warranty.

Question, is replacing the ESL-5 with the ESL-10 something an individual with moderate electronic skills can perform or is a locksmith necessary? I guessing the latter is the correct answer but I thought I'd ask.

I'll of course contact amsec but judging by the typical answers I've seen on here they'll just tell me I'm out of warranty and good luck. I recognize it's my fault for not approaching them sooner but I agree that since it's a known issue, it would be appreciated if they offered up at least a partial resolution to us guys who keep a personal safe for our self-defense guns another for our gun collection that is seldom accessed.

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#12]
NB: If you do anything on your safe, check the full closing and opening sequence on an open door at least three times before you close it.

Hi, you won't need any electronics skills, just screwdriver skills. Remove the back panel of the door, unplug connector, remove relocker plate, remove lock, remove keypad and then everything reverse. Other than the connector everything is a screwdriver job. I suggest to have look behind the panel before ordering a new lock look to check if this a location where you want to use and if the ESL5 can be replaced with a ESL10. I don't know a case where this replacement would not be straight forward, but I don't know all your bolt works.

If you want to do this yourself be especially careful with the relocker. You do not want to have a screw come loose and have the relocker produce a lockout.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]
OKay my safe just the same thing with the ESL5 keypad and lock. Just Email TheLockGuy here because I have not gotten a response out of Amsec. Hope I can get in without drilling but not looking likely.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you mean TheSafeGuy? If so, he isn't at Amsec anymore.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MartinHewitt:
Do you mean TheSafeGuy? If so, he isn't at Amsec anymore.
View Quote

Yes, TheSAFEGuy. He Emailed me and confirmed that he no longer works for Amsec. Guess I'm screwed.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Yea, sorry guys. I wish I could help. Life goes on. I'm still enjoying ARFCOM and lurking.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#17]
My ELS5 c button only works. I'm locked out. Please help
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grevil:
My ELS5 c button only works. I'm locked out. Please help
View Quote

The only marginally successful technique was to power down for a couple of days (remove batteries, mash a few keys, wait), then install batteries, key in your code and hope it opens on the first try. This worked on some (few) lockouts. The CPU failure was related to an internal capacitor that got charged up and caused the Keypad Input to stop responding. A quick power-up after a long drainage period sometimes allowed the input to work before the charge built up enough to lock the input circuit down again. This is a long shot, frankly. It only worked some of the time.

Good luck... even though I have been out for almost 3 years, I still feel invested... sad
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top