Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/21/2018 2:56:58 PM EDT
It seems to be rarely found lately.  I remember the day when you could walk out of a fun show with bandoleers for less than ten bucks.  I am not even sure what a bandoleer goes for now.  I have seen prices range from $35 to $70 per 70 round bandoleer on gunbroker.  Any ideas?

My apologies in advance, if this is not the appropriate forum or bad question format.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw a bandolier of it at a local funshow last weekend for $44.  I don't imagine it sold but I didn't go Sunday.

I've got a bunch that I don't need anymore but have no idea what to ask for it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup the same boat.  Pricing seems to be all over the place.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
If that is the circa 1930s to 1940s stuff I'm thinking about, it was everywhere back in 2005 for $5-10 a bando...  and I still avoided it then because it gave me so many hang fires.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The late 30s stuff was questionable.  The 40's through the early 50s were actually reliable.  I used to shoot that stuff and never had hang fires.  The only thing to remember is never to use that stuff in semi auto actions.  Straight old bolt actions only were/are good to go.  Most mauser actions had heavy springs in them anyways preventing hang fires.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I still have the better part of a case that came from Century.  If I recall correctly, 1937 was the worst year.  That's true for what I ended up with.  I took several rounds apart from several years and weighed the charges.  All years except 1937 were pretty consistent.  1937 was all over the place.  The powder smelled new in all the years, and looked identical under 10X magnification.

All the years kick like a mule. I tried pulling the bullets, downloading by 10% and reassembling.  Accuracy was about the same at about 50 yards, and it was a little less punishing.  They came in wooden cases that had soldered sheet steel liners.  J&G sold the empty cases for 50 cents to a dollar.  I bought a bunch and made cat beds and cat towers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup pretty good summary, but what is/should it be selling for now?
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It generates .300 WinMag velocity, so it should sell for the same price as .300 Win Mag.  Duh.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
All the stuff I had cracked on firing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All the stuff I had cracked on firing.
View Quote
I think about 10% of mine cracked on firing, at the case mouths.  I didn't keep track of the years that did it.  It might have been the 1937s.  I seem to recall that they also had bad bullet retention, to the point where I could pull the bullets out with my fingers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Still sitting on a small pile of the stuff.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#12]
IIRC, 1947 was the bad year for cracked necks.  I haven't had any of those issues with the 1945 and 1950 ammo I have, just the '47.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#13]
The factory did an investigation into what was causing the crack necks.  The conclusion was that they couldn't fire themselves.

'47 is the worst year, but they all seem to crack or have loose bullets if you cycle them through the action enough.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple of bandoleers of that Turkish stuff I bought along with my Yugo M-48 back in 2000.  I shot a bit of the stuff and it all went bang.  The M-48 went away in 2008 and the remaining ammo is laying in the bottom of a MK-19 ammo can.  I've held on to it all these years because I thought I'd shoot it through another Mauser I would buy, but I'm not sure I could do that to a Mauser.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Still have a 50 cal can full of that stuff.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#17]
That stuff was a pain to shoot in any volume.  I preferred the Romanian.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The factory did an investigation into what was causing the crack necks.  The conclusion was that they couldn't fire themselves.

'47 is the worst year, but they all seem to crack or have loose bullets if you cycle them through the action enough.
View Quote
The late 30s and 1947 were the bad years.  Otherwise it was and still is good to go.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The late 30s and 1947 were the bad years.  Otherwise it was and still is good to go.
View Quote
I sorted through my '47 and set aside the loose ones.  I actually really like this ammo.  No issues besides the weak necks and extremely powerful.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a few hundred rounds.  Nickle plated projectile?  Hang fire, or shoulder bruiser.  I cant remember what the year is.  I have been getting the ppu for new production.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I see people trying to sell it for $35, that is .50 a round.

Why pay that when I can walk into Cabelas and get new steel case for around $14.

SG has the steel case for .51 when you buy a case.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why pay that when I can walk into Cabelas and get new steel case for around $14.

View Quote
Yea, but it is dumbed down to the limp wristed SAMMIE specs so stupid people don't load it into their 1888 commission rifles.  The SAMMIE specs are closer to 3030 than 3006.  I mean designed at 2700 fps vs 2300 fps.  The original 8mm round was the equivalent to 3006.  Any domestic 8mm loads are weak as water at 2300 fps.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Semi 1919s love the stuff
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd like to find a case of this stuff to plink with, I've got a bunch of the ppu and it shoots nice but for sure isn't as hot. It's all but dried up around here, my lgs has federal 170 gr soft point but it's $35 a box lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#27]
My local pawn shop just ended up with a bandoleer of the stuff, They wanted $45 but are willing to deal
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yea, but it is dumbed down to the limp wristed SAMMIE specs so stupid people don't load it into their 1888 commission rifles.  The SAMMIE specs are closer to 3030 than 3006.  I mean designed at 2700 fps vs 2300 fps.  The original 8mm round was the equivalent to 3006.  Any domestic 8mm loads are weak as water at 2300 fps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure what you are using FMJ for other than target shooting.  Hunting should be Soft points.  Get the brass and reload to full power if you want.  I know the Turk is berdan primed so it is not easy to reload anyway.

I guess do what you want.  I just don't see the value in paying 50 cents a round for surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#29]
The idea is for those who have it in bulk to sell it for profit.  At at 50 cents a round, it is still a bargain compared to prvi partisan at 75 cents a round up to a dollar a round.  If you don't believe me, check SGA ammo or midway usa for that dumbed down shiny new stuff at 2100 fps for those with limp wrists and weak constitutions.

As for sore shoulders, buck up buttercups.  Why shoot 3030 and you can shoot 3006?
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Saw a bandoleer of 1947 at the gun show yesterday.  Guy wanted a mere $50 for it.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 4:49:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I've seen it sell at gun shows for between $35 and $50 a bandoleer.  Under $30 they sell quickly, usually to other dealers.  I think it's high priced, but there are not many other choices in the 8mm market now or in the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#32]
https://www.forgottenweapons.com/why-we-dont-use-turkish-8mm-surplus/
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol....never trust anyone who says "they believe" when trying to prove why something happens...it means they are guessing...
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I have cases of 39' Turk. I hate shooting it it recoils so hard. It kicks harder than my 338 win mag.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have cases of 39' Turk. I hate shooting it it recoils so hard. It kicks harder than my 338 win mag.
View Quote

its a 150grn bullet at ~3000 fps....

I shot several hundred rounds of turk in less than an hour one day..it was definitely not in 338 winmag territory
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
lol....never trust anyone who says "they believe" when trying to prove why something happens...it means they are guessing...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, he does make a valid point. Many caution against using Turk 8mm in auto loaders, due to some of it's variances. It has reportedly been responsible for ruining some vintage semi-autos. I'm not going to risk using the stuff in my Hakim.

I'd not hesitate to shoot it in a Mauser, but I'd be careful about hang fires, although I don't recall ever having any, even with the "loose" 1947 stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I shot several hundred rounds of turk in less than an hour one day..it was definitely not in 338 winmag territory
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IF it's still shooting at ~3000 FPS.

I shot a match with a Yugo M48A and 1947 Turk surplus. I've never had any firearm beat me up as bad as that Mauser did that day. Now we're talking a surplus arm, with a metal butt plate, but I CAN tell you that a M44 shooting heavy ball was a pussycat, compared to that stuff. Most other surplus arms I've encountered were, compared to that particular batch of Turk. It was a lot better, with a slip-on recoil pad.

I've since shot different Turk, in a Turk Mauser and it was night and day different. Some of the stuff out there is pretty stinking hot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#38]
The main issue with Turk is the brass is brittle.  It is no longer elastic and that's why it rips case heads off in semiautos.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm sitting on at least 1k of the stuff and never had any issues with it in my bolt guns or semi's. I also have ton of the Romanian 8mm , and Yugo from the 50's and 70's. The 50's stuff will give me some bad primers now and then.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The main issue with Turk is the brass is brittle.  It is no longer elastic and that's why it rips case heads off in semiautos.
View Quote
It also has the wrong pressure curve for semis.  It can blow them up.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What makes you think that??
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Different burn rate of the powder, think it uses a flake, and not a extruded powder like most 8mm.  Pressure peaks at different times, plus its loaded hot.  Go ahead and run it in a FN49, or Hakim, and see what happens, you probably won't like it

A bolt gun doesn't have a gas system to fuck up, and its much more stronger than a gas or piston operated gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What makes you think that??
Different burn rate of the powder, think it uses a flake, and not a extruded powder like most 8mm.  Pressure peaks at different times, plus its loaded hot.  Go ahead and run it in a FN49, or Hakim, and see what happens, you probably won't like it

A bolt gun doesn't have a gas system to fuck up, and its much more stronger than a gas or piston operated gun.
How do you know the powder has a different burn rate?

What makes you think it's "hot"?
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I have no scientific data but I know Turkish ammo always "feels" like it has more felt recoil.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have no scientific data but I know Turkish ammo always "feels" like it has more felt recoil.
View Quote
"feels" about the same as the heavier and slower WW2 8mm loads..  It's just a lighter bullet going faster... it's not "hot"..
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
"feels" about the same as the heavier and slower WW2 8mm loads..  It's just a lighter bullet going faster... it's not "hot"..
View Quote
It costs about $60 per shot in a Hakim.

That's the replacement cost for the extractor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats because the brass is brittle...not because it's hot...

put the powder and projectile in new brass and you don't get those issues...
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I totally believe you, I've got a variety of 8mm loads from different countries/times. Plan on doing some accuracy testing at distance when it warms up a little!
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I totally believe you, I've got a variety of 8mm loads from different countries/times. Plan on doing some accuracy testing at distance when it warms up a little!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good on you!  Research the WW1 spec "s" bullet...then keep that data in mind when shooting turk ...as the turk ammo is a copy of that loading..
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Good on you!  Research the WW1 spec "s" bullet...then keep that data in mind when shooting turk ...as the turk ammo is a copy of that loading..
View Quote
Sweet thanks for the info, I'll be using a 1917 Erfurt Kar 98 and a 24/47 yugo, they both shoot nice but the erfurt shoots better. IMO, I have Yugo, Turk, WW2 German, and PPU to try.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top