Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2018 9:30:58 AM EDT
My wife is co-trustee on my trust and still legally had her maiden name when we created it.

I was about to fill out 2-3 more form 1's since the updated system and realized I would probably need to amend my trust to reflect her taking my last name?

Is that accurate or can I still have her get fingerprints/photos and just put her full name/maiden name on the responsible persons form?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wonder if you could leave it as is and just include a copy of your marriage license when you send in the trust?
View Quote
Not sure, hoping someone will step in who's been there done that lol.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems to me the easiest thing to do is add a simple amendment to the trust to the effect of:

"Due to the party's legal name change due to marriage, all preceding references to "Jane Abc" shall henceforth apply to "Jane Xyz".

IANAL, but something like that is what I would do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My wife is co-trustee on my trust and still legally had her maiden name when we created it.

I was about to fill out 2-3 more form 1's since the updated system and realized I would probably need to amend my trust to reflect her taking my last name?

Is that accurate or can I still have her get fingerprints/photos and just put her full name/maiden name on the responsible persons form?
View Quote
That is accurate, an amendment will be needed.  My wife and I are in the same situation and just filed our first post-41F forms.  We were not told this by the ATF, but by Silencer Shop, and then again by our attorney when we followed up with him.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That is accurate, an amendment will be needed.  My wife and I are in the same situation and just filed our first post-41F forms.  We were not told this by the ATF, but by Silencer Shop, and then again by our attorney when we followed up with him.
View Quote
A friend of mine seems to think that you can simply edit your trust information without putting in an amendment.

Is that true?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A friend of mine seems to think that you can simply edit your trust information without putting in an amendment.

Is that true?
View Quote
That may be true.  I'm not a lawyer.  We chose to take the guaranteed safe route in the interest of not having a form kicked back or having future trustees run into legal troubles.
If you go that route, keep us all posted on the results.  It might be interesting .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top