Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2018 11:30:44 PM EDT
Forged this guy from a spring, 5160 I think.  Walnut and mosaic pins.

Made this one from a dog chew and some D2 and copper for my friend.

Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice  work
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like the walnut grip.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks y’all. I tru oiled the handle today after sanding some more and putting a lanyard tube in.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I love that Persian styled blade.  Great steel blades and you did a great job.  For sale by chance?
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love that Persian styled blade.  Great steel blades and you did a great job.  For sale by chance?
View Quote
Thank you for your compliment.  It is the first forged blade I have made ( I usually do stock removal only) and have decided to keep it
to pass down to my kid.  The blade is a little soft, probably around 57 or 58 RC but holds the edge well and sharpens well as I was careful to remove enough metal behind the edge to make it a good slicer and easily sharpened.

I have another one I'm doing nearly identical in shape, just about a 1/4" longer in handle length.  I'm scaling it with presentation ironwood, should be a looker.  It has a harder edge, around 60 RC with a softer spine and handle as I differentially hardened it.  I am also going to make a batch of these in W2 steel I got from NJ Steel Baron and work on hamons and diff hardening. I already have an order for one from a friend. I really like working with D2 but the knives I've made from W2 Nicholson files are sweet blades.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Fine work op.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep posting pics of your work.  I really like the design of this blade.  If you were to ever sell one like it, I would be interested for sure to use as a hunting knife for deer.  This is almost an exact replica of a knife my late father had given to him by Abercrombie & Fitch way back in the 40's.  He used if for deer hunting.  But the knife is with another family member and I'll never see it again. I wish I would have taken a picture of it, at least.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#8]

This one was going to have presentation ironwood handles, but it wasn't right. My knives always seem to make themselves, I'm just along for the ride.

I used two carbon fiber pins, one brass pin, and one brass tube.  Yellow liners with G-10 micarta (nasty stuff to work with, but tough as heck).

This is definitely a man's knife.  Has quite a bit more heft to it than the walnut one, I probably should have removed a little more stock from the handle or beat it down thinner before grinding.  I'm a fairly new blacksmith so I haven't learned yet how to judge when to stop pounding and when to hit the belt sander.  They always look danger thin until I hit the grinder. I'm a big dude, so a lot of the knives I build I have to be careful to make them slightly small for my hand and light or they wind up looking like a mini-sword when I'm done.

I really, really like this knife, it's definitely one to take on the battlefield.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Good looking work you have done.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Forged from W2.  Tried a hamon but it didn't show.  It's differentially treated.  Ironwood handle with white liner.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#11]
African Blackwood nickle silver W2 w/hamon.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top