Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2017 2:45:05 PM EDT
Years ago, I had this notion that dropping a standard M1A into an MCS would magically turn it into a neato 7.62 DMR. I mean, it adjusted the stock to be inline with recoil, allowed for an AR grip, and better optic mounting flexibility. Surely the chassis would shink groups right down!

Yeah, that's not how it went. Minute of paper plate at 100 yards with 168s, heavy, and finicky. Now I can't even begin to figure out what the damn things are worth used, because I can't even find a recent EE sale to compare. It seems like the Sage chassis won out for the DMR/M39 clone type guys and everyone else sticks with USGI or traditional type stocks.

Oh, and I had issues with screws backing out, and I'm pretty sure I boogered up all the hardware. Does Troy offer sets of replacement screws? Even after loctiting everything down it made no difference to groups, made sure the scope rings were properly seated, etc. I was able to at least get 1" groups with an AR, but the same techniques just weren't even getting what I'd call "groups".

At this point, I'd like to divest from it but I honestly don't feel like anyone wants them anymore. I'd hate to dump a ~$600 investment off for beans but at this point, I've moved on from the M1A. I put mine back in a USGI stock and gave it to my old man who used them in the Corps. But even he admits the advantages of the AR in comparison nowadays.

What should I even do with this thing? It has been sitting in a duffel bag for almost 6 years.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You might be better off selling it on a dedicated M14 forum.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might be better off selling it on a dedicated M14 forum.
View Quote
Even searching around I'm not seeing threads referencing them at all in recent years. Something tells me I'm going to take a major loss on it, but at least it'd be cash I can use towards a rifle I actually want to shoot.

I'll just have to clean it up and list it. Might call Troy about replacement hardware as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Even searching around I'm not seeing threads referencing them at all in recent years. Something tells me I'm going to take a major loss on it, but at least it'd be cash I can use towards a rifle I actually want to shoot.

I'll just have to clean it up and list it. Might call Troy about replacement hardware as well.
View Quote
Send me pictures I might be interested thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll PM you, need to clean it up and find the hardware. It's been battered around in a duffel so the anodizing has scuffs and scratches.

Did anyone else have the same issues though, I'm curious. I followed the directions exactingly and it just wouldn't group.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'll PM you, need to clean it up and find the hardware. It's been battered around in a duffel so the anodizing has scuffs and scratches.

Did anyone else have the same issues though, I'm curious. I followed the directions exactingly and it just wouldn't group.
View Quote
First how did it group before changing stocks?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
M14forum.com is a pretty active M14/M1A site. Seems the troy MCS asking price around $450 but sells between $350 to $400. Not sure but you may have to become member to see the links.

http://m14forum.com/spf/291690-troy-mcs-chassis-black.html

http://m14forum.com/px/347970-troy-mcs-chassis.html

http://m14forum.com/px/258962-troy-mcs-chassis-fde-lmt-sopmod-stock-bipod.html
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't even remember, I think it pretty well went from factory stock to Troy before I really got it out to the range. This was well before I really had the right mindset of shoot, record, compare, etc. Since then it went into a wood stock, and I don't recall it being that bad last time we took it out to 250, 500, and 750 with ball ammo. I don't mind going back and seeing what it'll do but I've essentially divested myself from the M1A platform. I looked at how much cost was involved with getting an M1a up to "match" standards, the unitized gas blocks, stock bedding, trigger work, etc. and decided that was not a direction I really wanted to go anymore.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
M14forum.com is a pretty active M14/M1A site. Seems the troy MCS asking price around $450 but sells between $350 to $400. Not sure but you may have to become member to see the links.

http://m14forum.com/spf/291690-troy-mcs-chassis-black.html

http://m14forum.com/px/347970-troy-mcs-chassis.html

http://m14forum.com/px/258962-troy-mcs-chassis-fde-lmt-sopmod-stock-bipod.html
View Quote
I appreciate it, that's about what I was expecting. With the scuffs on the finish it sadly seems like the lower end is what I'd expect. I'm trying to turn this into a Premier Gen II converted Leupold 3.5-10 for a different project.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a loaded in a second hand synthetic spray liner bedded stock I bought from someone on here.  With the crappy springy Gen III mount and it shoots really good.  I can get sub MOA with the right ammo.  It will do MOA easily with good ammo and it shoots consistently 1.5 MOA with the portugese surplus a while back.  Admittedly I don't have tons of rounds through it and maybe it will open up after a while.   But the advantage of an M1A isn't how they compete with an AR.  They just are way fun to shoot and CAN be really good shooters.  

I'm not sure what to tell you about the Troy stock.  I'd be pissed if I was you too.  But sometimes, some guns, take some tweaking.  And sometimes they just never do well.  Would be interesting to see what the deal is with the stock.  But you might consider trying a different stock with a good mount on yours.  In my experience, .30 cal sometimes feel a little easier to group well over AR's.  Maybe just a bit.  My theory is velocity.  But I can't really prove or quantify that.  

If I knew for sure my shots would all be over 400 yards, like sitting on top of a mountain in Afghanistan, if I could, I'd choose a .30 cal gun over an AR any day.  But I've never been in combat to know if that would be a wise decision.  LOL.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a loaded in a second hand synthetic spray liner bedded stock I bought from someone on here.  With the crappy springy Gen III mount and it shoots really good.  I can get sub MOA with the right ammo.  It will do MOA easily with good ammo and it shoots consistently 1.5 MOA with the portugese surplus a while back.  Admittedly I don't have tons of rounds through it and maybe it will open up after a while.   But the advantage of an M1A isn't how they compete with an AR.  They just are way fun to shoot and CAN be really good shooters.  

I'm not sure what to tell you about the Troy stock.  I'd be pissed if I was you too.  But sometimes, some guns, take some tweaking.  And sometimes they just never do well.  Would be interesting to see what the deal is with the stock.  But you might consider trying a different stock with a good mount on yours.  In my experience, .30 cal sometimes feel a little easier to group well over AR's.  Maybe just a bit.  My theory is velocity.  But I can't really prove or quantify that.  

If I knew for sure my shots would all be over 400 yards, like sitting on top of a mountain in Afghanistan, if I could, I'd choose a .30 cal gun over an AR any day.  But I've never been in combat to know if that would be a wise decision.  LOL.  

https://i.imgur.com/wyUK1Kq.jpg
View Quote
I got into the M1A because my old man always talked it up versus the old M16s they had. Once I experienced things for myself and headed down the SPR/Mk12 route, I realized why the M14s went away for a second time. I've seen about a 1/5 ratio of lovers vs haters when it comes to guys I've met between the Marines and Army that carried M14 DMRs, M21s, EBRs, and M39s overseas. I just don't have the real desire right now to head back down that path, and my dad still prefers irons as really it's his rifle for now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear ya.   At least your Dad has a nice rifle to shoot that he likes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've seen about a 1/5 ratio of lovers vs haters when it comes to guys I've met between the Marines and Army that carried M14 DMRs, M21s, EBRs, and M39s overseas.
View Quote
The weight vs limited gains in accuracy with M14 just doesn't lend itself to being a "tactical" rifle. I just stick to focusing on the nostalgia factor since the AR is way more accurate for me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I have two of the stocks.

One on a polytech one on a Stainless Loaded.

Both function well and give good groups.

Try will likely send you a few screw kit. I lost one of the screws to mine while assembling it and never found it. I called them and they sent an ENTIRE screw set for it for free.

Sorry it didn't work out for you OP, mine worked great.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The weight vs limited gains in accuracy with M14 just doesn't lend itself to being a "tactical" rifle. I just stick to focusing on the nostalgia factor since the AR is way more accurate for me.
https://i.imgur.com/tNKXH9u.jpg
View Quote
It's just one of those things you love it or hate it. But when compared to most 308 AR platforms the 100 yard groups are averaging the same as my M1A Scout ? at the same price range for comparison. I love my M1A and have my AR fetish in the appropriate 556 platform
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have two of the stocks.

One on a polytech one on a Stainless Loaded.

Both function well and give good groups.

Try will likely send you a few screw kit. I lost one of the screws to mine while assembling it and never found it. I called them and they sent an ENTIRE screw set for it for free.

Sorry it didn't work out for you OP, mine worked great.
View Quote
They sent me a replacement screw set @Getnlwr but I think it's still missing some stuff. I need to get on the web and find the directions, I think I'm short a few like the handguard cap thing that goes behind the gas block. I have a pile of junk in the garage I have to dig through to hopefully find a baggie or something that I hope I put them all in.

As soon as I have it together it's getting fire sale'd. The new run of KAC MRE rails is dropping and frankly that's something I'd much rather have. I enjoy the M1a as a proper wooden stocked battle rifle, as does my dad. And that's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I found their instructions LACKING at best. I sorta made it up as I went along and it works great. Mine is NOT built per their shit instructions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:54:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I found their instructions LACKING at best. I sorta made it up as I went along and it works great. Mine is NOT built per their shit instructions.
View Quote
I think in retrospect, it didn't help that I didn't use thread locker. But even after I came back and did that, I still had issues with it. And yeah, turns out I don't have the barrel band guide screws. I'll email them back and see if I can find them locally, or maybe try to dig back in my bins of junk in the garage. I have everything else now at least.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top