Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2018 11:44:45 AM EDT
I've recently run into a problem with S&B small primers. They say for use in both pistol and rifle loads. I'm pretty sure these were the ones Cabela's had on sale a while back.

The problem is light hits and it seems to be only Glock pistols. I've been using these same primers with both .223 and 300 BO cast loads without a single issue. (AR-15s)  And in some other pistols without issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks

Motor
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I had two Glock 21s that would not reliably ignite Winchester large primers.  They worked fine with Remington primers.  One I had looked at by a Glock armorer and he installed a heavy striker spring.  I still had the same issue.  I sold both of them.  Other .45 platforms fired the Winchester primers just fine.   My newest 21 fires them just fine and is in my truck for the range today. 

That isn't much help with your particular issue, but at least you can know that similar issues are out there. 
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like they are using a harder primer to try to split the difference between wall thicknesses and failed.

I generally use SRP in my handgun loads, which works great! Except for Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up several k of those in small pistol.   No issues for me in a CZ.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used about 15K of these now. I did have some random light strikes in glocks and S&W autos. Cause? My wife and me not paying attention when she helped me reload by priming cases... yep, she didn't fully seat some of the primers

Once that little fiasco was resolved, I've not had a single problem with S&B primers since.

I'd buy another 20K today if I could find them for $19.99 per K again....
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Motor,

My guess is you're reading the top of the box which says for pistols, revolvers and rifles which would seem to mean any of the 3 but the front of the box and the sleeves within designate the actual type they are. Rifle primers AFAIK are harder and many pistols won't ignite them properly.

I think they just wanted to save on packaging so use the same box for all primers which is a bit misleading. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I get the occasional light strike in my 9mm Sub2000. Not enough to stop me from buying them if they're on sale.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
As noted above,,, box is marked to indicate contents of box..
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies. The brick ends are as generic as the rest of the box. But there is a alphabetical code above the bar code. Maybe one of you guys can match it to one of your packages that have a label on the end flap.

I can guess what it means but I'm looking for confirmation. Here it is:

SBPR-SR

Motor
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. The brick ends are as generic as the rest of the box. But there is a alphabetical code above the bar code. Maybe one of you guys can match it to one of your packages that have a label on the end flap.

I can guess what it means but I'm looking for confirmation. Here it is:

SBPR-SR

Motor
View Quote
SR should be Small Rifle.  That is probably the issue.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Picture of box ??
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 1:09:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Motor,

My Small Rifle S&B box of 1k has SBPR-SR above the barcode.  Hope this helps.

I get light strikes with their SPP in my M&P40 FWIW. Even changed the recoil and striker spring to a new Wolff (gun was LE trade in) and it still happens occasionally.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 2:22:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Had problems with light strikes in Glock 21 with S&B SPP.

Turned out my Hornady LnL AP had worn a small depression

under the primer seating stem.

Taped a dime over depression, loaded a hundred rounds,

and all went bang.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was having issues with my M&Ps I did the old pencil test (pencil placed in the barrel/chamber empty/muzzle and squeeze the trigger).

Neither the Glock nor M&P pistols would launch the pencil out of the barrel.  The XDMs would clear the muzzle and I could catch it with my other hand before it fell back to my lap/table top.

My M&Ps had the stronger Glock striker spring installed in them (didn't help the light strike issues though).

Some guns just don't hit the primer very hard.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Had problems with light strikes in Glock 21 with S&B SPP.

Turned out my Hornady LnL AP had worn a small depression

under the primer seating stem.

Taped a dime over depression, loaded a hundred rounds,

and all went bang.
View Quote
That's exactly the workaround that I use for my LNLAP!

IME, striker fired pistols don't hit primers as hard, unless you've really jacked up the spring system and then you can have a hard trigger pull and other problems.

But the variables associated with primer depth can be significant. Other weapon systems, like DA/SA and SA mil pattern handguns, usually have a hard enough strike to overcome these and other issues like using hard primered 9mm SMG ammo in a handgun.

I routinely shot 9mm military SMG ammo in Smith 5906s, with really hard primers without issue. With the same ammo, I would reset the striker in my Glock three to four times before it popped the primer, if it ever did.

Small rifle primers (CCI/Winc/Tula/Wolf) are what I have used in 9mm/40/38 because of their interchange with small pistol primers (except for Glocks) It doesn't work like that with Large Rifle because of the differences in primer height.

HTH
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#16]
S&B primers are hard. I've used Win and CCI SR primers in small pistol cases for years. I had one Glock that would have issues with them, so I had to be sure to use SP primers for that gun.

Fast forward to now. The S&B primers seem to be harder than either Win or CCI. I had loaded up a bunch of 9mm with their SR primers, primarily for SMG use. I find they all go bang just fine in my full-auto Uzi (full mass of the bolt hitting the primer). But I get lots of failures when I shoot them in the semi-auto Uzi. Even though that one has around double the spring tension, it's only hitting the primer with the mass of the striker assembly, and not the full mass of the bolt.

It would be nice to simplify, but it appears I need to go back to stocking both SR and SP primers again.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I just checked a box that says SMALL PISTOL on the side flap. The barcode model is SBPR-SP

These were purchased from Cabela's with the generic rifle, pistol, and revolver markings on the front of the box
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#19]
You guys are awesome as usual. I have been using some Remington 6 1/2 in pistol as well but I don't think they were ever used in the pistol I'm having issues with.

These S&B are definitely small rifle though and that's very likely the problem. Thanks

Motor
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Open bolt and close bolt system are two different worlds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Open bolt and close bolt system are two different worlds.
Yep, point being an open bolt gun will set off pretty much any functional primer, where the more commonly encountered systems may not.

Quoted:So on that note, mic your semi auto chamber depth, and bank that you will find the problem there with the chamber depth too long isntead.
If that was the issue, I would be getting light primer strikes with all primers. I get a very healthy primer indent from this gun with any round that fires. It only struggles with overly hard primers, for the reason I noted.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a higher percentage of light strokes with them in my Shadow race gun than any other type. I attributed this to lighter springs.

Zero issues in my TSO or PCC’s.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top