Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2023 9:24:30 PM EDT
Just got my YHM R9 and just got the tri lug adaptor. allegedly heavy duty version, It goes on easy but its not super tight. A little play. Is this normal on tri lugs?

First time with one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds normal to me. Won't be super rock solid. As long as the barrel is aligned correctly, it should be fine. I attach the suppressor and look down the chamber end of the barrel to check.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just got my YHM R9 and just got the tri lug adaptor. allegedly heavy duty version, It goes on easy but its not super tight. A little play. Is this normal on tri lugs?

First time with one.
View Quote

Like the first poster said it's normal to have a little Play.

Can you do us all a favor and post some pics of this new heavy duty 3lug adapter? Just curious what is different about it over the original one from YHM
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can you do us all a favor and post some pics of this new heavy duty 3lug adapter? Just curious what is different about it over the original one from YHM
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First time with one.

They look identical externally from the pics on YHM's website. They do mention use of 17-4 SS on the heavy duty one and that it is rated for "some rifle calibers". It sounds like they may just be using 17-4 for the steel parts on the HD instead of a lower strength/less heat resistant alloy on the original model? It would be nice if they gave an explanation of what exactly the difference is as they still sell the original as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
What kind of play?  Wobble (you can move it side to side in any direction), or just a slight rotation possible when it’s locked on.?  The latter isn’t a problem, but the former could be if it’s too much.  Wobble is a result of excessive clearance between the area of the barrel in front of the lug and the cylindrical sleeve inside of the adapter.  Those areas should be a relatively close fit.  If your 3 lug is threaded and has a thread protector over the threads forward of the lugs, you should leave the thread protector on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They look identical externally from the pics on YHM's website. They do mention use of 17-4 SS on the heavy duty one and that it is rated for "some rifle calibers". It sounds like they may just be using 17-4 for the steel parts on the HD instead of a lower strength/less heat resistant alloy on the original model? It would be nice if they gave an explanation of what exactly the difference is as they still sell the original as well.
View Quote

Gotcha
Yeah that would be nice is they said what exactly they did or improved on that now made it more heavy duty as they put it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the thread protector is off. Will check later. It does have slight wobble side to side. I am going to put a dowel down it and the barrel and see how much movement there really is.

Thanks for the info.

ETA and yes about HD version. It looks identical to me but the innards are supposed to be more stout.

I put it on 2 different AP5s and an SP5 (buddies) Same on all so I sm guessing its not the actual gun.  I am just paranoid about the movement.

FWIW. I ordered it  from JoeBob Outfitters. Ordered Friday night and was delivered Monday by lunch. Only place that had them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I tri-lugged both my 9mm rifles, but haven’t shot either yet.

Trilug all the things.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Trilug all the things.
View Quote

It sure is fast and easy to use
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Trilug all the things.
View Quote

Why not?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trilug all the things.

Why not?

Worked every weekend until Mother’s Day, had the mother in law in town that weekend. Hopefully going to the range this weekend.

(Note, I’ve only had my trilug adapter for about 2 weeks)
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I got the YHM tri-lug adapter for my R9 to use on my AR9 that has a SilencerCo tri-lug mount installed. There is a tiiiny bit of play, but I had no issues in the 200ish rounds that I put through it the last time I went shooting.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info guys. Shot her yesterday. No issues at all and damn its quiet with 147 fly on an AP5.

Only issue is the mount want to unthread after a while. I guess I need to loctite it in good.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got the YHM tri-lug adapter for my R9 to use on my AR9 that has a SilencerCo tri-lug mount installed. There is a tiiiny bit of play, but I had no issues in the 200ish rounds that I put through it the last time I went shooting.

https://i.imgur.com/FpNXSeS.jpg
View Quote

Dude nice. Full pic of ar9 and stype of handguard?  Looks good
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Are all tri lug adapters interchangeable?

I have an mp5 clone and a couple other 9mm carbines.

Have a mod9 pending and a 3 lug adaptor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Only issue is the mount want to unthread after a while. I guess I need to loctite it in good.
View Quote

You can, however if want the ability to remove it later with less hassles I found if you torque it down to 25-30 fl lbs it is gtg.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:16:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are all tri lug adapters interchangeable?
View Quote

If you are referring to the muzzle devices for the ends of your barrels they generally are.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/FpNXSeS.jpg
@WildBoar
It's an AR9 that I custom built using a CMMG RDB BCG & 8" barrel kit that I had Adco chop 0.7" off of and rethread. The handguard is an HK MP5SD handguard slid over a Samson Evolution 7" (keymod) handguard with some steel washers JB Welded to it to take up space. It's held in place in the front by a machine screw that I made self tap into the handguard after drilling a pilot hole and by the cut out portion to fit around the handguard's clamping screw area.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#18]
It looks friggin awesome
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It looks friggin awesome
View Quote
It is friggin' awesome.

I had some issues with it at first and was having ejection failures (this seems to be an issue for some with RDB guns), but after installing the tuning kit weight to increase the bolt mass and swapping out the extractor spring and ejector spring it's working great and is incredibly fun with subs.

This is pretty damn close, but I still want an MP5SD clone though. My brother has an MP5 and it's just a liiittle bit "better" with the same suppressor attached.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top