Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2023 12:08:15 AM EDT
I understand that you have to notify the ATF of what state you are going to when traveling with SBR. I travel a lot with work and have wanted to bring a rifle for hunting trips as i travel around. I would like to use one of my SBRs but this rule does make it more difficult. Sometimes i unexpectedly get diverted for work to a different state than planned. I know the right way is to list all possible states, i know all this.

But if i ended up in a state that was not listed on the paperwork but it was a state THAT ALLOWS SBRs and somehow it resulted in prosecution what would be the charge? I dont see that it would be the same as having a illegal SBR (unregistered SBR). I still have a valid stamp and if I was in a state that allows SBRs it would all be GTG EXCEPT i had not notified the ATF of my intention to travel.  

This is really all kind of hypothetical. My work has locations in about 8-9 states. They all allow SBRs and are pretty gun friendly. I know the best way would be to list every state and submit paperwork for travel. But if something went wrong and i ended up in a unexpected state what would happen? Just to be clear i am not talking about a state that prohibits SBR, just ones that allow it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think a state allowing (or not) is the issue, rather it is you taking your SBR into a state without notifying/getting permission from ATF for that state.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#2]
You would be in violation of 18 (U.S.C) Section 922 (a)(4):

(a)It shall be unlawful
(4)for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, to transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986), short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, except as specifically authorized by the Attorney General consistent with public safety and necessity;

View Quote
the penalty for which is laid out in 18 (U.S.C) Section 924 (a)(1)(B):

(1)Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, subsection (b), (c), (f), or (p) of this section, or in section 929, whoever
(B)knowingly violates subsection (a)(4), (f), (k), or (q) of section 922;
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2023 1:39:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_Man:
You would be in violation of 18 (U.S.C) Section 922 (a)(4):

the penalty for which is laid out in 18 (U.S.C) Section 924 (a)(1)(B):
View Quote

thank you, jail time sounds not fun. I guess i will avoid a SBR for this use.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#4]
This was the only reason I had an AR pistol.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 6:40:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BULLDAWG_556] [#5]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
This was the only reason I had an AR pistol.
View Quote

I decided to pin and weld a direct thread can to an 11.5 for vehicle. That way I'm covered as long as the state I'm entering allows cans.
The vault in my ride will accommodate up to a 13.7 with a Sandman S.  Maybe a 14.5.
If not, I'll take something else.

Now, if my form 4 will get approved.. today is 4 months...
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Do a yearly (1/1 - 12/31) 5320.20 for each state.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Along similar lines, if I’m in Georgia and I want to go to say NC with my SBR, but I have to travel through SC. Do I need to inform for just NC or the state I am traveling through as well? I wouldn’t have a destination in SC, just driving through to get to NC.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bballman25:
Along similar lines, if I'm in Georgia and I want to go to say NC with my SBR, but I have to travel through SC. Do I need to inform for just NC or the state I am traveling through as well? I wouldn't have a destination in SC, just driving through to get to NC.
View Quote
FOPA rules protect you for in-transit.  So you only need to file a form 5320.20 for the destination state of the trip.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#9]
FOPA rules protect you for in-transit.  So you only need to file a form 5320.20 for the destination state of the trip.
View Quote

Great. Thank you!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ODA_564:
Do a yearly (1/1 - 12/31) 5320.20 for each state.
View Quote

Doesn’t it have to be for a specific address?
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Cypselus:

Doesn't it have to be for a specific address?
View Quote
You have to list an address on the form, but the way the law is written it's just permission to cross the state lines technically.  Some will just put the address for a gas station just over the line you plan to drive past to satisfy the blank on the form.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#12]
You have to list an address on the form, but the way the law is written it's just permission to cross the state lines technically.  Some will just put the address for a gas station just over the line you plan to drive past to satisfy the blank on the form.
View Quote

On Reddit a few days ago a guy posted that he submitted a form 20 for the state of Arizona.  For the address he entered the GPS coordinates of the four corners of the state.  It got approved.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:27:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey bud. I’m trying to do the same- build, and then pin and weld with a gunsmith. Question: did you buy as separate parts, then order the can? Then when it came in bring to gunsmith to assemble? If so I’m looking for help on which parts to buy to have a light AR with folding stock, 10.5-11” barrel with can. Any help is appreciated
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:38:41 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Along similar lines, if I'm in Georgia and I want to go to say NC with my SBR, but I have to travel through SC. Do I need to inform for just NC or the state I am traveling through as well? I wouldn't have a destination in SC, just driving through to get to NC.

Actually - I did not know that.   That's useful to know.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JWinterholler27:
Hey bud. I’m trying to do the same- build, and then pin and weld with a gunsmith. Question: did you buy as separate parts, then order the can? Then when it came in bring to gunsmith to assemble? If so I’m looking for help on which parts to buy to have a light AR with folding stock, 10.5-11” barrel with can. Any help is appreciated
View Quote

One way buy can, get approved, pin it to a AR pistol add stock.
Second, buy can, get approved, take parts to the pinner, have them assemble.
Third, form 1 a Rifle, buy can, submit your yearly paperwork.

If you pin, I'd suggest that you use a suppressor ready rail so you can remove it to service the gas tube if needed without removal of the pinned can.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]
4)for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, to transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986), short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, except as specifically authorized by the Attorney General consistent with public safety and necessity;

So what constitutes a "licensed collector"?  I have a C&R so I am by their definition a "licensed collector" would that make me exempt from having to do this every year for mine?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By p230:
4)for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, to transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986), short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, except as specifically authorized by the Attorney General consistent with public safety and necessity;

So what constitutes a "licensed collector"?  I have a C&R so I am by their definition a "licensed collector" would that make me exempt from having to do this every year for mine?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By p230:

(13)The term "collector" means any person who acquires, holds, or disposes of firearms as curios or relics, as the Attorney General shall by regulation define, and the term "licensed collector" means any such person licensed under the provisions of this chapter.

That said, a C&R licensee is only exempted from the NFA interstate transport rule if the covered NFA item is also a C&R firearm.

From the ATF's NFA Handbook:

Section 13.8. Requesting permission to transport certain firearms in interstate or foreign
commerce. A person, other than an FFL/SOT, may not lawfully transport in interstate or foreign
commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, without
prior written approval of ATF, specifically the NFA Branch.214 For definitions of these firearms and
devices, refer to 27 CFR 478.11. Licensed collectors are not required to obtain such approval if the
firearms and devices being transported are "curio or relic" firearms under the GCA.
Approval for the
transportation may be obtained by (1) a written request or (2) an approved application filed with ATF on
Form 5320.20.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#19]
That said, a C&R licensee is only exempted from the NFA interstate transport rule if the covered NFA item is also a C&R firearm.

From the ATF's NFA Handbook:
View Quote

Thanks,

Good to know.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:

As noted, FOPA covers you in transit.

However, if you’re sending in a form for one state, it’s just as easy to send in for two.

I typically send in for a dozen or so states. Anywhere I think I may want to visit in the upcoming year. Most of them never get used. But I’m good to go should I decide to.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:
Along similar lines, if I’m in Georgia and I want to go to say NC with my SBR, but I have to travel through SC. Do I need to inform for just NC or the state I am traveling through as well? I wouldn’t have a destination in SC, just driving through to get to NC.

As noted, FOPA covers you in transit.

However, if you’re sending in a form for one state, it’s just as easy to send in for two.

I typically send in for a dozen or so states. Anywhere I think I may want to visit in the upcoming year. Most of them never get used. But I’m good to go should I decide to.

Don't the dates have to be exact?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:31:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#21]
Just put a cheap blade brace on it for the trip
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

Don't the dates have to be exact?
View Quote
No, you can put a range up to one year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top