Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2022 9:24:29 AM EDT
So let's say you got pulled over with NFA stuff that is registered but you don't have the paperwork for because you left it in one of your other gun cases and forgot to bring it with you.

What legal issues could you face if any?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a copy of all my Forms on my phone just for this reason.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the state. You aren’t required to have the paperwork with you, but it often saves the ride. In Ga the paperwork is proof the item is legal (state law drama) but I still don’t carry it.

Realistically if I’m carrying NFA AND get pulled over AND get searched I already done fucked up more than just carrying an SBR without a stamp handy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the state..some states..(FL) for example. Have no separate state NFA laws. It merely says Florida follows Federal guidelines on NFA firearms.
Basically saying..if the firearm/registration/configuration..conforms legally within the federal rules for NFA firearms Florida is ok with it. They don’t care. It’s not their monkey unless someone is acting the fool with one.

Other states have their own rules/laws on NFA or Firearm configurations either mirroring the federal guidelines or more restrictive.

A bigger question is how would they know ? They do not have instant access to that information.
On top of that the tax stamp could reference xyz item and "lucky duck trust" not necessarily any particular person. Only that a tax was paid on a specific item.
So..unless there is RAS or PC why would it (should) it ever become a question ?

Officer Dbag is going to act like officer Dbag no matter what you have.
I just have pics on phone.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
A closed mouth gathers no drama
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a copy of all my Forms on my phone just for this reason.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This also.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct. But most of the times I have been pulled over they ask if there are any weapons or guns or knives etc. In the car. Which could easily go from a normal stop to them losing their stuff over NFA things.

Chase45s story is what partially made me start this thread. Cop pulls him over, thinks he has him with a SBR/NFA violation until he finds the paperwork in the glove box.

The idea of keeping a copy on your phone is a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#8]
What's to stop you from forging a document?   I mean unless the popo calls someone from the ATF how do they validate?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't answer questions...

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Correct. But most of the times I have been pulled over they ask if there are any weapons or guns or knives etc. In the car. Which could easily go from a normal stop to them losing their stuff over NFA things.

Chase45s story is what partially made me start this thread. Cop pulls him over, thinks he has him with a SBR/NFA violation until he finds the paperwork in the glove box.

View Quote

link to story?

I keep my paper work with my nfa items at all times. Phone is a great idea.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Until your shit is in the inventory room, your vehicle has been towed to an impound yard, and you've been in a holding cell over the weekend..... they may get around to calling the BATFE in a few days.....

Got the number for your attorney handy? because you don't get your smartphone back before your (collect) pay phone call

Life is only as hard as some choose to make it

"Affirmative defense to prosecution" regarding NFA items and paperwork is a real thing in many states.... FL is one of them

Hard copies of all my forms stay with the firearms regardless of where they go ....... I'm not handing someone who thinks I'm violating the NFA/GCA my phone and giving them the password.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to have them with me all the time, but now I don’t care. They are legal, check, I don’t give a fuck. I’m not going to help if they want to be pissy about it. Only exception was a 5320.20 when I was doing that, but I moved and don’t have much need for that anymore
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]
In Georgia, pulled over for speeding.  Told two officers (man and woman team)  They asked where I was going,  I was on my way to a gun range.  He asked if I had weapons in the car I said yes in the trunk and on my person I showed my cary permit (already nhad it out when they got to the car) but not the gun (glock) and had pics of my NFA paperwork on phone and hardcopy photocopies. (not originals).  They surprisingly told me he doesn't need to see them (he wasn't the ATF") and the woman officer gave me a reduced speeding ticket.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm always amazed by this.

Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Driver: "NO!" (Lie)
Officer: "Did you know your registration was expired?"
Officer: "Did you see the light was clearly red?"
Officer: "Do you have any weapons in the car?"
Driver: "Absolutely!  Got this pistol here, and these SBRs there, and a shotgun in the trunk."

I mean, WTF?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So let's say you got pulled over with NFA stuff that is registered but you don't have the paperwork for because you left it in one of your other gun cases and forgot to bring it with you.

What legal issues could you face if any?
View Quote

None. It's not illegal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Been pulled over plenty of times with guns and stuff. Never had my car searched once. Just take your ticket and go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top