Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2021 11:44:31 AM EDT
My son is out of control, but he's good...I think.

I bought him a Sig 300BO MCX "pistol" a couple years ago for Christmas.  All this crazy market shit hits and he can't afford 300 BO (he's a poor 22 year old college kid getting ready to graduate).

1. He traded 300BO barrel for a 13.5", long pin-welded brake for legal 16" barrel and folding (or collapsible, can't remember) stock.

2. Trades MCX in 5.56mm for Noveske 300BO pistol (I was thinking he was dumbass).

3. Trades Noveske 300BO pistol for a MAWL laser with a factory defect.

4. Gets a dealer to send the MAWL back to the factory to repair/replace and trades for a B&T APC 308 DMR (rifle config).

5. Finally trades the APC 308 for a SCAR 17 (and the guy is tossing in a Trijicon scope (thinking a low end Accupoint).

No money exchanged, just straight trades...how'd he do?  He really wanted a SCAR, but it wasn't in his budget as a college kid and dad loves him, but not at SCAR levels!.  I've got several case of .308, so I'll gift him a few hundred rounds to get started.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Start to finish, sounds decent.  The real bump down / up was when he traded the Noveskes pistol for a laser and then traded that for a rifle.  Not familiar with that laser, but unless it's a weapon in and of itself like a light saber, seems more than what a good firearms should cost.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start to finish, sounds decent.  The real bump down / up was when he traded the Noveskes pistol for a laser and then traded that for a rifle.  Not familiar with that laser, but unless it's a weapon in and of itself like a light saber, seems more than what a good firearms should cost.
View Quote

The MAWL is priced around $3K if you can get one.  I said the same thing.  Rule of thumb is don't trade a firearm for a non-firearm item. Hell, he doesn't even have NODs, so it isn't that useful for him anyways.  Getting that APC308 was stupid luck.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Meh, he ended up with what he wanted, tough to beat that kind of deal..
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Meh, he ended up with what he wanted, tough to beat that kind of deal..
View Quote

Yeah, he's pretty excited about it.  He has his final interview (already passed everything else) for his local town PD.  He will be working full time by the end of May...thanks God!  It's not permanent, but I told him to remember his budget and Ramen sucks after two weeks regardless of the cool rifle in your safe.  Doubt he'll listen

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen stories about people that start with near nothing and thru a series of trades they end up wtih a house, or a fancy car (Porsche) etc

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#7]
The the only problem I see is trading the APC 308 away for a scar 17.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Definitely would've stopped at the APC 308 DMR.

In the end, he's getting what he wants.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Both have decent resale value if that's a concern.  I honestly don't know enough about the APC308, however I do have the poorman's GHM9 and the quality is up there.  His reasoning is that there are simply more aftermarket options for the FN than the G&T right now.  Other than that debatable point, he basically traded a $1000 Sig MCX in 300BO for a SCAR17; we'll see how long it lasts

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trading in the knockoff for the real deal
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

da'yum! ha

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Trading in the old school for the more refined swiss goodness is more like it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Both have decent resale value if that's a concern.  I honestly don't know enough about the APC308, however I do have the poorman's GHM9 and the quality is up there.  His reasoning is that there are simply more aftermarket options for the FN than the G&T right now.  Other than that debatable point, he basically traded a $1000 Sig MCX in 300BO for a SCAR17; we'll see how long it lasts

ROCK6
View Quote

There's more after market shit for the scar because its needed...B&T addressed all of the shortcomings on the scar 17 minus the reciprocating charging handle and even that is better located and has a quality folding option. Better Stock options, longer rail, mlok, ar15 pistol grips, ambidextrous lower controls, quality stock trigger, takes sr25 style mags, built in recoil buffer to buffer the optic crushing mass, 1/10 twist barrel, aluminum lower..etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes. Definitely would've stopped at the APC 308 DMR.

In the end, he's getting what he wants.

View Quote

Yeah, should have stopped at the DMR.

....but, if he wanted the SCAR more then that’s all that matters.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad to hear he did well and got what he wanted.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There's more after market shit for the scar because its needed...B&T addressed all of the shortcomings on the scar 17 minus the reciprocating charging handle and even that is better located and has a quality folding option. Better Stock options, longer rail, mlok, ar15 pistol grips, ambidextrous lower controls, quality stock trigger, takes sr25 style mags, built in recoil buffer to buffer the optic crushing mass, 1/10 twist barrel, aluminum lower..etc etc etc.
View Quote

All good points...he hasn't made the trade for the SCAR 17 yet I don't think, I'll pass along, thanks

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I'd stick with the B&T personally.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Personally I would have not sold/traded a gun my dad gave me.

Value wise, he did great.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Personally I would have not sold/traded a gun my dad gave me.

Value wise, he did great.
View Quote

He asked.  He built his first AR with me and then his second (a Noveske) on his own.  He paid half of the MRX; the other half was for Christmas.  The only "first" was his first "pistol" transfer he did on his own with our FFL dealer.  He's got some keepsakes from me already

Still no word on the SCAR17 trade, so, we'll see.  He's been busy finishing school (graduates next week; 21 credits this last semester), working full time as a maintenance tech for his apartment complex, cramming in his commissioning physical, getting his 2LT commission (yesterday and sworn in by me!), finishing up the local PD requirements (interview, physical polygraph/prints, etc.) for his post graduation job, and applying to start his graduate program in Criminal Justice and Criminology.  He doesn't have his basic officer course dates, but is police academy starts in July; the boy is trying to kill himself...trade may not be a high priority right now  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tell him to hang onto the B&T. The upper is 7075, the SCAR is 6063. Enough reason alone to compel me to go with the B&T.
View Quote

My son got the B&T and we took it to our Home Town Forum range for ARFCOM members this past Sunday to get it zeroed and hit some steel plates.  I'll have to get a picture posted later, but the original B&T was a pistol and the guy sent it back to B&T to have the DMR barrel installed...it just looks a little odd as the handguard leaves about 3" of Op-rod exposed.  He's good with it and is in love with it after shooting...butter smooth operation; and accurate.  We only stretched it out to 350 meters, but he was dinging 4" steel plates with just the Leupold (of mine) max'd out at 6x.  

He's planning to keep it (for now).

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top