Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/12/2023 10:55:23 AM EDT
Seriously considering the RDB for the spousal unit, perhaps even for myself (I'm a fan of bullpups).
Handled the Hellion & X95 as well but really like the weight/balance of the RDB (price is significantly better as well).

So, for light duty/HD use what is the hive's estimate of the RDB?Thx!
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Great little platform ...

My biggest issue and its a big one ... you can't really diagnose the chamber on the fly ... it wouldn't be my number 1 go to rifle but I would take one over a MDR
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Had one and sold it. It’s a very light weight rifle but one I had no faith in using if SHTF.

One thing I didn’t like is adjusting the gas for the round that you are using.

Take a look at an Aug. I feel like the Aug is a bit lighter or maybe just a bit more balanced. I own a NATO Aug.

My go to bullpup are as follow and in order of how I would grab them.

X95, Tavor Sar (those two are actually tied for how I would grab them) and then my NATO Aug.

I like that the x95 has rail space and the controls are more like an AR-15. It’s also very well balanced. I use bullpups as my go to rifle since having a stroke and being left with muscle weakness. I also have disc pressing on the spinal cord from an old injury. Bullpups just work for me now and without muscle fatigue.

To me, the RDB is more of a range toy. I wouldn’t bet my life on it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan:
Had one and sold it. It’s a very light weight rifle but one I had no faith in using if SHTF.

View Quote

I was interested in one until I spent some time on KTOG.com reading reports from owners. I don't recall anyone saying it was their life saving rifle. Most replies said it was a fun range gun, but it did not replace the AR for serious usage.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:29:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#4]
I've had one since it came out. Great rifle.
If you can score one for sub 1k you did good.

The Rdb is not ammo sensative once you set it with typical brass cased.So no needing different gas settings when you change ammo.Ive shot 50gr-75gr on the same setting (b+5). The Rfb is a bit more sensative..but..so is the ammo.

Steel cased needs more gas if you set your gas for brass.

Most places,even ktog, will mostly show you what negative experiences people have,the folks that have a good rifle won't seek out places to comment..do keep that in mind.

I've shot mine enough that it is now my HD rifle.I shoot it supressed and it produces 1moa groups with the ammo it likes.(I've read others have had smaller groups. Im trying to replicate this)

I like it much better than my mdrx when in 556 and haven't been bothered to get a Hellion or x95 (handled and shot both..Ended up with a Tavor Sar).
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]
still holding out for the wood furniture version

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LamentConfig:

https://www.thektog.org/attachments/rdbflyerlowres-1-jpg.34888/
View Quote

I think that ship has sailed...
Theres probably 1 of those in the keltec library..right along with the (1) 6.5grendel Rdb.

George Kelgren is leaving that up to the market.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:27:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#7]
I love my RDB-S "Survival".  It's slim, lightweight and compact.  A great little carbine.

No problems with using the gas system. Set it for the weakest ammo you are going to shoot then leave it alone. Everything else will work fine.

Don't set it for hot M-193 and then try to shoot Tula.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Thx for all the feedback, much appreciated!
However, since this would be for HD use I just don't feel comfortable using it for serious purposes (although it may be perfectly fine for such a role).
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't hesitate to use it for HD. Its duty use that I'd be sceptical about. HD guns sit in the corner or safe unless out at the range. So in that capacity, it isn't a bad choice.

Having said that, the RDB made more sense when they were $650. At $1000, keep an eye out for an IWI bullpups. I've seen a few SAR for $1200 on the used market. I won a Gunbroker low bid on a mini Draco for $590 and S&W M&P 9mm $280. So those are my splurge guns for this month. But the Galil, SAR, Tavor 7, and AUG are all on my watch list. I'm one auction away from buying anyone of those items.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By olscruffy:

I was interested in one until I spent some time on KTOG.com reading reports from owners. I don't recall anyone saying it was their life saving rifle. Most replies said it was a fun range gun, but it did not replace the AR for serious usage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By olscruffy:

Don’t get me wrong. It’s a good rifle but not one for serious work. I love the design and weight but I don’t see it standing up to the abuse a combat rifle takes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Don’t get me wrong. It’s a good rifle but not one for serious work. I love the design and weight but I don’t see it standing up to the abuse a combat rifle takes.
View Quote

I mean..It was never designed to be a combat rifle...and most of that abuse is from young soldiers who are not careful with anything.

A Tougher polymer shell and 2 or 3 setting adjustable gas (instead of the 20setting tunable) will certainly make is solider proof.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skyler2000] [#12]
Originally Posted By Odinforever2000:

I mean..It was never designed to be a combat rifle...and most of that abuse is from young soldiers who are not careful with anything.

A Tougher polymer shell and 2 or 3 setting adjustable gas (instead of the 20setting tunable) will certainly make is solider proof.
View All Quotes

When people say soldier proof, they mean that soldiers train with and carry their weapons in rough situations. Sleeping in a river, crawling across a mile of hot rocks and thorns, running up and tumbling down rain slick mountains. It's because they are exposed to more severe conditions. Not because they are less careful. That's why military weapons need to be tough.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Skyler2000:

When people say soldier proof, they mean that soldiers train with and carry their weapons in rough situations. Sleeping in a river, crawling across a mile of hot rocks and thorns, running up and tumbling down rain slick mountains. It's because they are exposed to more severe conditions. Not because they are less careful. That's why military weapons need to be tough.
View Quote

Eh..the only definition I can find for "Soilder proof" just says :
(humorous) Resistant to damage caused by soldiers...
That would include both yours and my outlook on the term.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Yeah, the RDB just hasn't been abused like that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:10:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavia] [#15]

View Quote

Soldier proof includes that, but it also includes stuff like making sure some private doesn’t use his multi tool to unscrew the RDB clamshell and leave it in pieces. If KelTec made the design sealed, added an access port to the chamber for inspection, chrome lined heavier barrel, and changed out the handguard… it would be suitable for military purposes.

Probably simplify the gas port adjustment as well…
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Pavia:

Soldier proof includes that, but it also includes stuff like making sure some private doesn’t use his multi tool to unscrew the RDB clamshell and leave it in pieces. If KelTec made the design sealed, added an access port to the chamber for inspection, chrome lined heavier barrel, and changed out the handguard… it would be suitable for military purposes.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pavia:

I agree. The RDB is an amazing rifle. Just a couple changes and it could be a real deal service rifle. I will never understand the people at Keltec. They are sitting on true potential.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#17]
What does “soldier proof” or maybe needing to adjust the gas for steel cased ammo have to do with HD?

I feel like maybe HD and zombie apocalypse fantasies are getting conflated here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#18]
For Home Defense it is fine.  Mine run well and it has a great trigger out of the box.  There is very little recoil with the gas set properly.  

I would test it well and set it for your HD load on the gas setting.  Tighten down the screws if necessary.  If there are issues, send it back to KT and they will get it running - about a 3 week turnaround (had a P17 and RFB sent back at their expense).  Their warranty is good, but unfortunately their quality control sometimes isn't great, especially with new products.  But by now, most of the bugs on the RDB have been worked out.    

If you plan on taking it outside and carrying it for weeks on end in harsh environments or plan to be lost in the world during a zombie apocalypse, get an AUG or Tavor.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 4:15:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#19]
I never understood the “I gotta mess with the gas” negative crowd.

No. You don’t. You just have the option to do so. If you feel like fiddlefucking with it that’s on you. If I set mine 1 click up from lockback using Tula .233 it will run anything. Can or no can. Yes, it’s going to be a tad over gassed running M855, but you don’t have to turn the gas down. It’s just as gassed as every other non-adjustable gas system that cycles Tula and M855 with a single setting. I don’t need to mess with it, but of course I do because it’s simple. I have my gas block marked in three spots. They are: 1. Everything. 2. Tula suppressed. 3. M855 suppressed.

The RDB has 1.5 bad things going for it.

1: It does not have an injection molded chassis. The design is a polymer clamshell. However I have never seen a report of one breaking, and I recently took a tumble down a 40’ embankment on my property with the gun slung and it survived without a scratch. I have also completely taken these guns apart and it takes a lot of careful and heavy prying to get that clamshell apart with all the screws removed. You probably can’t run it over with a truck, and it should not be airdropped without a parachute. So it will probably be fine for your purposes.

0.5: the chamber is not accessible. I’ve considered that a negligible problem. The bolt moves rearward twice the distance of other guns. Jams are easy to clear. Lock the bolt back, rip the mag, and the most I’ve had to do if give a little shake. Usually it all falls right out the Magwell cause there’s nothing to hold a jam in place. There’s enough room to stack 2 rounds end to end behind the chamber. The only jams I’ve experienced were forced for drills, or while dialing in the gas for my suppressor settings. Now if you tear a case rim, you’re in trouble. No way to pick it out, you’d have to through the barrel or pull the front assembly. I have never had that happen on any gun in my 20 years of shooting, so I don’t consider that a big issue. 2 pins and 3-5 seconds and I can access the chamber with a barrel removal anyway.

I’ve owned all the 5.56 bullpups. Ended up going back to the RDB. It’s the slimmest, lightest, has the best trigger, sub 2moa accuracy, absolute best suppressor host, and full ambi with no changes is great for those who frequently train on both shoulders. It’s my self defense and property walking gun. It is not my go to war gun. That will always be my AR.

For a war’pup I’d take a Hellion if suppressing, Tavor if not.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:50:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#20]
Oh, and if you’re wondering what the RDB fire control parts look like, it ridiculously simple and self contained. My biggest concern with the clamshell was some little piece popping out of place if the body flexed too much. Not worried about that anymore.

Big silver thing is the ejection chute.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:25:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#21]
Originally Posted By Thor:
I never understood the "I gotta mess with the gas" negative crowd.

No. You don't. You just have the option to do so. If you feel like fiddlefucking with it that's on you. If I set mine 1 click up from lockback using Tula .233 it will run anything. Can or no can. Yes, it's going to be a tad over gassed running M855, but you don't have to turn the gas down. It's just as gassed as every other non-adjustable gas system that cycles Tula and M855 with a single setting.
View Quote
Yes. Exactly. Lots of people don't get it.

This is a stupid reason to not buy or to get rid of a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#22]
If I didn't already have an AUG, I'd have an RDB.   I thought about getting one anyway, but I'm not a big believer in having more guns than I can shoot.  Every gun I have has to work, has to be zereod, and has to be fired periodically to run it.  Eventually you hit a wall where you just can't run them all - and that's where I stop.  Which is basically why I don't have an RDB - I already have an AUG.  

As to "soldier proof".  Yea OK.  Neither is my family sedan I drove to the gun range I shoot it at.  Like most guns (and especially Kel-Tek), there are some lemon's - I can't help you.  From what I can tell, it's a pretty solid gun, and I've seen abuse tests where the RDB outperformed a lot of other guns.  

As to chamber accessibility - eh it's a preferred feature - but in general if it's super important that you have the ability to access the chamber - you already lost.  Switch to your pistol.  That's a bit flippant, but I guess the category of "serious business" and "range toy" is a little harder line for others than me.  If I had an RDB and had about 1000 reliable rounds through it, then access to chamber would be basically irrelevant to me when it comes to Serious Business.  Arguably the more sealed form-factor is a feature.  Personally, my 6.5 CM MDRx I consider plenty reliable for serious business.  For real - the thing is crazy reliable.  It also weights as much as the above mentioned family sedan - but it's a very cool gun.

If Kel-Tek ever follows through with the promised 6.5 Grendel version of the RDB - I intend to buy it instantly - at almost any price.  Until then I'll be running MDRx in 6.5 CM when I want ballistics, and AUG in 5.56 when I want 5.56 goodness.

If I were just starting, or a friend asked what bullpup should they get, which will include spousal usage - RDB.  I'd say RDB before they even finished their sentence.  I'd also hint to be prepared to dump it and try again, if it's a lemon.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Thor:
Oh, and if you’re wandering what the RDB fire control parts look like, it ridiculously simple and self contained. My biggest concern with the clamshell was some little piece popping out of place if the body flexed too much. Not worried about that anymore.

Big silver thing is the ejection chute.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/D1D6513A-83A6-471F-8746-2FE12F46E082-2817983.jpg
View Quote

Wow. Great posts. I have never seen the RDB disassembled. You should post more photos of the internals in the future.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#24]

Wow. Great posts. I have never seen the RDB disassembled. You should post more photos of the internals in the future.
View Quote

I will next time I get one for Cerakote. Really there's not much more to them besides a whole bunch of little screws that I have to be careful not to lose!

Oh and another reason for an RDB, the more crap you slap on it, the more you appreciate the low starting weight, haha.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
If I didn't already have an AUG, I'd have an RDB.   I thought about getting one anyway, but I'm not a big believer in having more guns than I can shoot.  Every gun I have has to work, has to be zereod, and has to be fired periodically to run it.  Eventually you hit a wall where you just can't run them all - and that's where I stop.  Which is basically why I don't have an RDB - I already have an AUG.  

As to "soldier proof".  Yea OK.  Neither is my family sedan I drove to the gun range I shoot it at.  Like most guns (and especially Kel-Tek), there are some lemon's - I can't help you.  From what I can tell, it's a pretty solid gun, and I've seen abuse tests where the RDB outperformed a lot of other guns.  

As to chamber accessibility - eh it's a preferred feature - but in general if it's super important that you have the ability to access the chamber - you already lost.  Switch to your pistol.  That's a bit flippant, but I guess the category of "serious business" and "range toy" is a little harder line for others than me.  If I had an RDB and had about 1000 reliable rounds through it, then access to chamber would be basically irrelevant to me when it comes to Serious Business.  Arguably the more sealed form-factor is a feature.  Personally, my 6.5 CM MDRx I consider plenty reliable for serious business.  For real - the thing is crazy reliable.  It also weights as much as the above mentioned family sedan - but it's a very cool gun.

If Kel-Tek ever follows through with the promised 6.5 Grendel version of the RDB - I intend to buy it instantly - at almost any price.  Until then I'll be running MDRx in 6.5 CM when I want ballistics, and AUG in 5.56 when I want 5.56 goodness.

If I were just starting, or a friend asked what bullpup should they get, which will include spousal usage - RDB.  I'd say RDB before they even finished their sentence.  I'd also hint to be prepared to dump it and try again, if it's a lemon.

View Quote

I love your comparison Lazy..Ima steal it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:34:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#26]

I love your comparison Lazy..Ima steal it.
View Quote

That is a good analogy.

I have to admit even with my love of the RDB I've been very guilty of considering the rifle to flimsy. The more I've had them apart I don't believe that to be the case. It just looks it cause of all those screws. I can do pushups with the plastic lower on a brick and it doesn't give. When assembled the metal receiver sits inside the plastics adding further support.  The only part of the clamshell that doesn't have direct metal support from the upper parts is the grip.

The only part of the gun mechanically that seems questionable to me is the hammer. it's long and it's thin. It could get some stress cracks I suppose if it's low quality metal, but my first RDB had well over 1000rds without issue and my current is still going strong so it may not be an issue. Really, I've had no reason to question this gun's ability to handle anything I throw at it other than my "feels"

Edit:
Dad, please buy a freaking magwell! Every time I see your gun It looks so naked down there. Especially after the wrap.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#27]
As a public range gun, chamber visibility could dictate using the orange chamber flag that comes with the rifle, so don’t lose it, if your range requires a visible empty chamber at cease fires.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Love my RDB. Probably one of the best host weapons for 556 suppression out there, outside of full on custom tuned small gas port AR's.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I've had an RDB for several years.  I swapped out the hand guard for a Lucky Irishman one.  Last year, I bought a Springfield Hellion and, in order to justify that unnecessary purchase, I vowed to sell my RDB.  Well, I received nothing but lowball offers, so I kept the RDB.

I decided I need to keep a semi-auto 556 at my place of business in case shit goes haywire, so I bought a red-dot and took it out this morning to sight it in running a YHM Turbo K.  I had forgotten what a pleasure this gun is to shoot suppressed.  So much more pleasant than my Hellion or Aug.  The Turbo K is a great can and I shot a couple of mags through it without ear pro with no problem.  I know one of the knocks is that it doesn't have a military pedigree, etc, etc., and I get the concern about the difficulty in clearing jams should that happen.  But, the compact size of this gun and the smoothness of each trigger pull when shooting suppressed is just effing awesome.  The answer is definitely to RDB.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:47:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#30]
I really wanted to like the RDB, it was the lightest & best handling of all the bullpups I tried.
For just range use I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat, but I wanted a bullpup for possible primary HD.
Unfortunately, there were just enough reasons against it for me not to pull the trigger on one (pun intended).
I didn't like the lack of QD sling points.
I didn't like the location or exposed nature of the mag release.
And I will admit the fact  it's Kel-Tec left lingering doubts in the back of my mind (I know they have a great warranty, but IMHO the best warranty is the one that's never used, especially when "the loudest sound in the world is 'click' when you really, REALLY needed to hear 'BANG!'").

Finally settled on the Tavor X95 which seems to check all the boxes for me. Yeah, I wish it was lighter & less expensive, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tomac:
I really wanted to like the RDB, it was the lightest & best handling of all the bullpups I tried.
For just range use I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat, but I wanted a bullpup for possible primary HD.
Unfortunately, there were just enough reasons against it for me not to pull the trigger on one (pun intended).
I didn't like the lack of QD sling points.
I didn't like the location or exposed nature of the mag release.
And I will admit the fact  it's Kel-Tec left lingering doubts in the back of my mind (I know they have a great warranty, but IMHO the best warranty is the one that's never used, especially when "the loudest sound in the world is 'click' when you really, REALLY needed to hear 'BANG!'").

Finally settled on the Tavor X95 which seems to check all the boxes for me. Yeah, I wish it was lighter & less expensive, but it is what it is.
View Quote

One day..I will have them all..
1 more Non-military bullpup to go... (K&M m17s)
3 more military import bullpups next.. (Aug..Fs2000, Hellion)
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#32]
One day..I will have them all..
1 more Non-military bullpup to go... (K&M m17s)
3 more military import bullpups next.. (Aug..Fs2000, Hellion)
View Quote

I've been following the K&M M17s, it piqued my curiosity some time ago, will be interesting to see how it fares.

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I have an RDB, Hellion, AUG, Fs2K and a Tavor X95, just so you know where I'm coming from.  None are perfect, some are better than others.  Having said that;

The RDB is not ready for military use, but it's probably OK around the house...IF you check all the screws to be sure they are lock-tite'd, and spend some time dialing in the gas, taking care to not change the ammo you are using, and don't fuck with the gas setting.  I had double feeds I needed a screwdriver to clear when getting to know my rifle.

It's a brilliant rifle, but it has some pretty major shortcomings.  For me, that means too many screws, no chamber access.  Compounding no chamber access, is if you change ammo and/or adjust the gas incorrectly, you can have some show-stopping malfunctions.  I love it, but it's flawed.  Shoots good.  Really good.  Suppressed too.  Ergo's are great, mag catch takes some getting used to.

I'll buy the Smith & Wesson version when it comes out.  I'm sure it will be better.

As military rifles, my preferences would be (best to worst):

Hellion
Tavor X95
AUG
RDB
Fs2000
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Would I take my RDB into combat? No, it wouldn't be my first choice, but as for a HD rifle I wouldn't have an issue at all.

Once I got the gas system set, I haven't had a failure in over 3k rounds.

I did locktite all of the screws, and have the gas system where it needs to be for 5.56 suppressed only.

Ive said it so many times; The RDB is one of my most enjoyable guns to shoot suppressed, and by far my favorite suppressed 5.56.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#35]
"but I'm not a big believer in having more guns than I can shoot."
View Quote

Damn if those aren't words of wisdom I needed to read right now. I have been wanting a more portable rifle that shoots 5.56 that isn't an SBR or pistol, but have 3 AR's and I'm so torn between Hellion and RDB since I'd plan to sell my other rifles to help fund the purchase
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By BT1989:

Damn if those aren't words of wisdom I needed to read right now. I have been wanting a more portable rifle that shoots 5.56 that isn't an SBR or pistol, but have 3 AR's and I'm so torn between Hellion and RDB since I'd plan to sell my other rifles to help fund the purchase
View Quote

Really the difference is all in what you want to do with it.
Both are good suppressed..Both are accurate.

Rdb is about 1 lbs lighter than the other..Better Factory trigger and a tuneable gas system..less money out the door.

Hellion has that military pedigree. Cost ya a bit more..Can change the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Pretty sure RDB is gonna be my next rifle, just need to figure out which model. Coyote hunting with thermals on a suppressed AR is cumbersome. If IWI made a 5.56 with Tavor 7 features I'd get that, but it looks like they don't want to create competition for the X95.

I wouldn't consider the clamshell design military grade, but my Sub2000 is a beater gun and it's held up to everything I've put it through.

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#38]
[b]Originally Posted By redgineer:[/b
..I wouldn't consider the clamshell design military grade..
View Quote

Its Not..Never pretended to be.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Really the difference is all in what you want to do with it.
Both are good suppressed..Both are accurate.

Rdb is about 1 lbs lighter than the other..Better Factory trigger and a tuneable gas system..less money out the door.

Hellion has that military pedigree. Cost ya a bit more..Can change the pistol grip.
View Quote

I hate to say it but I'd almost favor the Hellion more because of the military usage. I would assume it's hardier.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BT1989:

I hate to say it but I'd almost favor the Hellion more because of the military usage. I would assume it's hardier.
View Quote

You do you. I havent jumped on the Hellion because I have an RDB.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I was already considering getting a bullpup, bullpup curious if you will, but didn't want to jump in completely on a 1600-2000 rifle.  I really liked, and still do like, getting one was the OAL around that of a SBR (~ 27 in) but with the ballistic of a standard rifle length barrel (16.1 in barrel).

The RDB comes with trade-offs, whether the swap is worth it is 100% up to you:
- You sacrifice the ease of troubleshooting on a double/misfeed for complete ambidexterity (downward ejection).  
- You pay around half the price (RDBs can be found for < $900 new, see link below for a store I bought mine from) of a Hellion/Tavor, but you are getting a Keltec not a Tavor/Springfield.  

I know others have had some concerns over the quality of the build.  I've never had a single malfunction with my RDB and that seems to be the median response of most users in my experience.  Some of the concerns I've heard from people are based on the brand name Keltec having a history of spotty quality control, which is accurate sadly.

Not sure if you are still in the market or not, but you can find several variants of the RDB here (no affiliation aside from as a prior customer) for a great price.  Bought my RBD from them and was very happy to pay $850 for it.

https://www.preppergunshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=rdb

So far, no guilt over my purchase. But, I may eventually add a Tavor or Hellion to the collection as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Decter:..snip..

So far, no guilt over my purchase. But, I may eventually add a Tavor or Hellion to the collection as well.
View Quote

Glad to hear you like it. I like mine so much I have trouble keeping other bullpups in the same caliber..
I made the Jump to Tavor but only in 9mm ;P..Didnt need a 556 Tavor..Got me RDB :P
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By LamentConfig:

https://www.thektog.org/attachments/rdbflyerlowres-1-jpg.34888/
View Quote

I don't have much to add here except that I, too, would buy the M43 version that never materialized.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I've been very happy with my RDB and have had only 1 part failure in five years.  A hammer spring that was rapidly replaced by the factory.  I wish my other two bullpups had as good a trigger.  The PS90 is almost there after quite a bit of fiddling around, and I'm leery of messing with the FCG on the GM6 Lynx since the factory won't supply any drawings.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought an RDB-S several years ago because it was just too ridiculous not to own.  It's a laugh riot, given the combination of minuscule size, hilarious fireball out of the 16" plain muzzle, nonexistent weight, and ability to fire one-handed like a pirate*.

*Note:  I recommend doing this with only one round in the chamber and no other ammunition in the rifle, as bump-firing has occurred more than once with a filled magazine during one of these stunts.

It serves as an amusing range toy primarily and secondarily in case I decide I "need" a 5.56 rifle that can fit in a medium-sized backpack discretely.  The RDB-S is dramatically shorter than my 11.5" Colt Commando SBR or even my 11.5" AR pistol with the Law Tactical folder in use.  Plus, it's much shorter top-to-bottom and far lighter.  I may someday throw an old 2012-vintage Scout Light on it if I decide to take a fundamentally unserious firearm and take it much too seriously, but if I do that, then I'm surely going to have to put a low-cost optic on it.  Right now, I'm mostly dumping money into car stuff, so these are, shall we say, very low priorities.

That all said, it's a brilliantly simple design, a hoot to use, and may have some debatable utility for a non-NFA discrete 5.56 in case things get really weird a la 2020.

For context, I live in the Seattle area and nearly got caught in the riots in Bellevue (of all places) coming back from eastern Washington with a close friend.  Later, my at-the-time girlfriend (who, at the time, was a prosecutor for King County) needed to clean out her office in the county building in downtown Seattle and I served as de facto impromptu security.  Totally wild time; concealing a low-vis plate carrier and a Glock under a hoodie with a rifle in a bag in the truck.  The RDB-S would fit into a much more discrete carry bag than an 11.5" SBR if we're playing Worst Case Scenario Fantasy Camp to justify considering one.

The more plausible justification being that they're fun, unique, and reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I was going to get a PSA JAKL but I really think I’m going to go with an OD Green RDB.

What are you guys doing for a sling solution? I want to keep the space gun poly handguard.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:08:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
I was going to get a PSA JAKL but I really think I’m going to go with an OD Green RDB.

What are you guys doing for a sling solution? I want to keep the space gun poly handguard.
View Quote

I have both and love them both, but the JAKL is a tank.  They both suppress very well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

I got a sling from Citizen Gear co after perusing this thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/How-to-make-your-own-slings-and-save-money/19-749922/?page=2

Couldn't be happier with the purchase
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:

I have both and love them both, but the JAKL is a tank.  They both suppress very well.
View All Quotes

A $800 RDB vs a $1700 AUG is a no Brainer.  But An $1100 RDB vs a $1400 AUG.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 1:31:17 AM EDT
[#50]

A $800 RDB vs a $1700 AUG is a no Brainer.  But An $1100 RDB vs a $1400 AUG.....
View All Quotes

Unless you are left-handed and have to spend $300 more on a left-hand bolt for the AUG. And that's if you can even find one since they're made of unobtanium these days.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top