Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2018 8:02:16 AM EDT
Does anybody have any feedback on these clones? I know the gas block is non-adjustable. The rep said they are working on making one that is. Besides that, are they good to go?

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/TD-416-GSG9-Gen-2-10-4-556-Upper-Kit-Complete-132p17662.htm
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a Todd Bailey product, who makes most of the US made parts for HKparts.net.  Todd Bailey's history speaks for itself.

I bought an SBR barrel for my MR556 from HK parts; not knowing is was a Todd Bailey product.  The front sight block has a few notches cut in it to hold the front sight in the up and down positions.  The slot for the down position was too narrow... so my factory HK folding front sight, when in the down position, will not lock.  Every time I shoot, it flips the front sight up.

I contacted HK Parts, who acted interested for an email or two, and then silence.

So:  It might work right.  If it doesn't, they might care.  As long as you are happy with those odds, go for it.

I would suggest that with actual 416 parts kit prices as low as they are now, you could get proper 416 stuff for not much more.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Look for MBell's YouTube videos he did on the first gen 416 that Toddie had sold couple years ago. He did a side by side comparison of the TD and HK uppers and parts difference.

For me I did managed to get on of Toddie's  gen 1 416 he sold on GB before the prices went stupid crazy. The only issue I have is that it is a highly over gassed system that was ejecting Tula cases at the 1-2 o'clock position. I need to get a heavier carbine buffer weight like Slash's 8-10 oz heavy buffer or change it to a rifle buffer where I got it to eject at 3 o'clock.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Brother in-laws just locked up over the weekend? Piston was half out and jammed tight. We hammered it free and the rings on the piston rolled over the piston and got wedged between the piston and wall? pretty crazy shit might just be a one off incident but was a hard malfunction for sure. His upper has just under 200rds down the tube my 416 has 4500 and never came close to anything like that? I have pics and will post them up I was wondering if anyone else had these issues or if this was just a one of a kind incident. I am not bagging on the upper it is supper nice and I still will end up buying one of the 8in uppers eventually.

Pic of inside the gas block were the rings got rolled
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
BF Las Vegas has used them.

“- We no longer use ANY piston conversions or factory pistons guns with the exception of the HK-416 "knock-off" TDI upper. I purchased a FACTORY brand-new MR556 and it started keyholing after only 10,000 rounds. I was SO pissed because I spent all that money on the gun and it couldn't last 10,000 rounds. I had barrels from before we even opened the range with 1,000's of rounds on them from J&T Distributing (chrome-lined) that didn't keyhole well into the 80,000-100,000 range. I don't know who makes or made the J&T barrels but I was so pissed that actually wasted the money on a MR556 and that's all I got from it. I purchased two of the 14.5" TDI knock-offs approximately 6-8 weeks ago and they have been on the line daily with ZERO issues. I only purchased them because people will come in specifically request the "416" and even they've never handled a weapon their entire lives, they KNOW that the top half isn't the "416 like in COD/MW".

Look up the thread for more...
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

“- We no longer use ANY piston conversions or factory pistons guns with the exception of the HK-416 "knock-off" TDI upper. I purchased a FACTORY brand-new MR556 and it started keyholing after only 10,000 rounds. I was SO pissed because I spent all that money on the gun and it couldn't last 10,000 rounds. I had barrels from before we even opened the range with 1,000's of rounds on them from J&T Distributing (chrome-lined) that didn't keyhole well into the 80,000-100,000 range. I don't know who makes or made the J&T barrels but I was so pissed that actually wasted the money on a MR556 and that's all I got from it. I purchased two of the 14.5" TDI knock-offs approximately 6-8 weeks ago and they have been on the line daily with ZERO issues. I only purchased them because people will come in specifically request the "416" and even they've never handled a weapon their entire lives, they KNOW that the top half isn't the "416 like in COD/MW".

View Quote
Not to sound offensive, but why would you base your purchase on what BF Las Vegas says? They are basically in the business of mag dumping, if you think about it. They base their opinion on whether or not a product can survive mag dumps or not. Someone comes in, dumps an entire magazine or two, then leaves. Also, they modify their guns to fire full auto rather than use actual full autos. So they took a MR556, which isn't rated to shoot full auto, and they mag dump it, constantly. They also chopped down the barrel, which they left out, to make it look like a HK416 because customers come in and normally just identify with what they saw in movies or heard on the news. There are numerous reasons why it would start to keyhole and it's most likely to do with improper cleaning of a unlined bore. From what I read, they clean by ultrasonic and because they have OSHA requirements, they use Slip and Simple Green products only to clean. Any unlined bore would require cleaning the copper build up and I'm willing to bet their Mr556 simply needed a good cleaning and it would function like new again.

Personally I think HK needs to sue these people, big time for improperly using their products and causing serious damage to their reputation. I'm not saying this from a HK fan. I have both the HK416 and MR556, and I like them both a lot.

Back to OP's question, the TD 416 upper is good to go. Keep in mind it is a knock off product of HK. There's no way to tell if it will work any better or worse but at the very least you'd have a clone. I recommend just buying a MR556 as you'll get a very nice product.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Sue them? Really?

Should all the manufacturers sue the youtube personalities who put their guns through torture tests that are failed?

That's insane.

A 10K round barrel life is reasonable for a 5.56 barrel. And why is the lack of lining an issue on the MR556 but not a USGI barrel?

As for why you would listen to BFLV - it's because if it can survive that abuse, it'll likely survive anything that the average shooter does with it without major malfunction.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not to sound offensive, but why would you base your purchase on what BF Las Vegas says? They are basically in the business of mag dumping, if you think about it. They base their opinion on whether or not a product can survive mag dumps or not. Someone comes in, dumps an entire magazine or two, then leaves. Also, they modify their guns to fire full auto rather than use actual full autos. So they took a MR556, which isn't rated to shoot full auto, and they mag dump it, constantly. They also chopped down the barrel, which they left out, to make it look like a HK416 because customers come in and normally just identify with what they saw in movies or heard on the news. There are numerous reasons why it would start to keyhole and it's most likely to do with improper cleaning of a unlined bore. From what I read, they clean by ultrasonic and because they have OSHA requirements, they use Slip and Simple Green products only to clean. Any unlined bore would require cleaning the copper build up and I'm willing to bet their Mr556 simply needed a good cleaning and it would function like new again.

Personally I think HK needs to sue these people, big time for improperly using their products and causing serious damage to their reputation. I'm not saying this from a HK fan. I have both the HK416 and MR556, and I like them both a lot.

Back to OP's question, the TD 416 upper is good to go. Keep in mind it is a knock off product of HK. There's no way to tell if it will work any better or worse but at the very least you'd have a clone. I recommend just buying a MR556 as you'll get a very nice product.
View Quote
OP asked if anyone had experience with a TD416.  I directed him to a post by a company that uses them.  Not sure what the point of the rest of that is but whatever.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Personally I think HK needs to sue these people, big time for improperly using their products and causing serious damage to their reputation.
View Quote
We've reached tier 1 fudd'ery
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:10:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sue them? Really?

Should all the manufacturers sue the youtube personalities who put their guns through torture tests that are failed?

That's insane.

A 10K round barrel life is reasonable for a 5.56 barrel. And why is the lack of lining an issue on the MR556 but not a USGI barrel?

As for why you would listen to BFLV - it's because if it can survive that abuse, it'll likely survive anything that the average shooter does with it without major malfunction.
View Quote
The mr556 barrel has about 20-25k life to it. They went well under that. Being unlined means the copper build up eventually caused the keyhole. Once you clean it out, it’s fine.

Chrome line you don’t have to worry about it. That’s part of the reason the original m16s were chromelined after initial use. It makes cleaning easier but it extends the life of the barrel significantly especially in FA fire. The BF Las Vegas even said their real 416s still work and there was a guy who said he ran close to 60k rounds though it and it is still shooting fine.

And I’m not totally convinced that I would listen to what BF lad Vegas says. As I said they are in the business of destroying their guns since they are mag dumping it. They figured out the same thing the military figured out: unlined bore in full auto doesn’t work. But unlike the military BF Las Vegas failed to draw that conclusion. And yes they should be sued since they used products beyond their intended design. BF Las Vegas took something not rated for FA fire, and was never intended to do so. They heavily modified the product since mr556 does not have a FA carrier and they had to modify it. Modifying a product, then shooting FA with a unlined bore just doesn’t sound like a honest review.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#11]
By your standard, every FFL/SOT who’s converted a gun to F/A should be sued. That’s asinine.

BFLV doesn’t review guns, they just post their opinions like everyone else here does.

They modified the gun. Warranty is void. That’s the end of it.

The fanboy vibe is strong.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Haha it's not like there's a EULA for guns or most other consumer goods to give a basis to sue over. That's like saying camera testing sites should be sued over water resistance tests because Sony cameras made a poor showing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rounds down range are rounds down range. Unless you or someone else with open source material (please point me to them) puts as many rounds through their guns as BFLV, then just be quiet. Nobody is saying what BFLV is saying is gospel. But it is the truth for what they experience. It gives gun owners an idea how how guns hold up. What parts are the weak link and what spare parts one should stash away. It gives gun owners an idea of what guns hold up and last with minimal maintenance and which guns need more maintenance and don't last as long.

"Personally I think HK needs to sue these people, big time for improperly using their products" might win the award for one of the most asinine comments made on this forum so far this year. Do you really believe what you just wrote?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Rounds down range are rounds down range. Unless you or someone else with open source material (please point me to them) puts as many rounds through their guns as BFLV, then just be quiet. Nobody is saying what BFLV is saying is gospel. But it is the truth for what they experience. It gives gun owners an idea how how guns hold up. What parts are the weak link and what spare parts one should stash away. It gives gun owners an idea of what guns hold up and last with minimal maintenance and which guns need more maintenance and don't last as long.

"Personally I think HK needs to sue these people, big time for improperly using their products" might win the award for one of the most asinine comments made on this forum so far this year. Do you really believe what you just wrote?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, I believe they should be sued for misrepresenting their products. It's sort of like taking a Ford F150, trying to make it into a nascar, then saying it failed. It was never designed to function like so.

As far as people key holing, read up on some posts https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk417-hq/221940-mr556-10k-rounds-keyholing.html

A lot of folks saying the found it started to keyhole at the 10k mark (some started to see keyhole with steel). After agressively cleaning it with copper solvent, it went back to life.

Take this post:

1. My 1st MR223, that seen lot of use as "rental" or "instructor" rifle on some events and classes (and not a lot of cleaning, more like wiping it with bore snake few times after longer shooting session) started to keyhole at about 6000+ rounds. Intially it was just from time to time with 63gr rather slow ammo. Then it was 100% time with anything below and up to 62gr, while still around MOA with 77gr. I did extensive session of barrel cleaning with lot of copper removal solvent and final touch of Brownells non-embedding bore paste. Barrel went back to full factory performance.
Outside of HK products, unlined bores have consistently caused keyholing. Unfortunately not a lot of people are experienced with unlined bore care and using some of the modern lubes and CLP the age of copper removing is starting to get lost. Take a look at the original military report regarding unlined bores and why they switched to chrome line: http://weaponsman.com/?p=12779

Key thing said:

In the 1930s, the USN started to chrome plate the bores of most guns to a depth of 0.0005 inches (0.013 mm). This was “hard chrome,” which is not the kind that you find on your father’s Oldsmobile. This plating increased barrel life by as much as 25%. The plating generally extended over the length of the rifling and shot seating. Chrome plating has also been found to reduce copper deposits.
Point is if you own a MR556, get smart about copper bore cleaning. It's probably your only unlined bore that you own, other than maybe some pistols.

As I said earlier, the barrel life for a MR556 is rated to be roughly 20-25k area. The HK416 sees triple that amount, which is consistent with chrome lining.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes, I believe they should be sued for misrepresenting their products. It's sort of like taking a Ford F150, trying to make it into a nascar, then saying it failed. It was never designed to function like so.
View Quote
No it's like driving the F150 at max speed on a NASCAR track nonstop, without colliding into other cars, and stopping only for regular pit maintenance, then reporting their observations.

Maybe HK should be sued for not chrome lining the bore. Oh wait; that wouldn't make any sense either.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
This really doesn't capture the level of derp...

Edit - if I could find one for a decent price, given BLVs experience, I'd be happy to have one for one of my SBRs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:12:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Back to the original question.  I bought one of Todd's "blem" GSG9 (second gen Titan style) uppers.  Apparently, there is an issue with tolerance stacking.  When I fire the upper the lugs actually rotate past the opening and partially lock in the opposite direction which caused function problems.  I don't really want a stainless steel barrel anyway.  I want a chrome lined barrel as I am fortunate enough to own a DIAS.  Palmetto State Armory sells a double thick chrome lined CHF barrel made by FN.  I bought a 16" upper and am having George at Northeast Gun Works install that barrel into the GSG upper.  He is also shortening the barrel to 11" so I can use my flash hider mount AAC can.  The port location of the original port doesn't line up.  I think that is a good thing as the Titan uppers are known to be over gassed.  George will give me an undersized port to start with.  I plan to work the port size up so the bolt catch locks back consistently.  Hopefully without being over gassed I can suppress it without beating it to death.  I'll update as the project progresses.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a 1st generation and it runs fine.

The only thing I did was change to the POF Roller cam on the bolt carrier group.

Got it for about 395 plus 25 on funbroker when it was blowing it out.

He said it was a mistake on his Buy it Now but honored it after we talked.

Not a lick of issues, accuracy is 1.5 or so.

Cycles great with my m16 lower. Changed the buffer to h2 and springco and runs fine and perfect.

No regrets but I want to change the gas block to the one used for suppressors.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#20]
The other thing I did was clean and buff the gas piston and a buddy added Frog Lube and baked it.

Hasn't had any issues since day 1 and despite being poo pood left and right, it was the best upper I have ever bought.

Not a lick of issues and NO.. I'm not a shill for Bailey.

I did buy his SW5 before and that ran perfectly fine also....before I sold it during the sandy hook for over 4500.

Guy who has it runs it with a sear and he is happy as a clam with it still.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top