Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2018 8:39:35 PM EDT
May be getting an AK that has has alumahyde baked on... Id like to remove it. What will be my most effective method? Aircraft stripper? Some type of media blast? Im not very familiar with the factory finish/metal on AKs... what will I end up with? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Media blast is about the only way. It is almost the same as cerakote.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Media blast is about the only way. It is almost the same as cerakote.
View Quote
Recomended media?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Perhaps this if you want to preserve the original metal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_UvekVp9Ws
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Tractor Supply Garnet is cheap and works well, also recommended as one of the things you can use by cerakote (just don't hold too close too long, it works real fast).  Glass from amazon is also cheap and works well but gives a super fine finish and is not recommended by cerakote.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#5]
What about table salt?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Or citristrip?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I have no idea on those. I am a cerakoter and just use the garnet on most and glass on stainless to look good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a epoxy based paint.

Aircraft stripper
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Looking for most effective method without damaging the gun...
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Also, I plan on applying a rustoleum appliance paint job on it afterward
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#11]
If blasting is best I can run to HF and get a blaster for 25 bucks
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also, I plan on applying a rustoleum appliance paint job on it afterward
View Quote
If you are going to rattle can it, just hand smooth it all out, scuff, de-grease and paint over the alumahyde.
Quoted:
If blasting is best I can run to HF and get a blaster for 25 bucks
View Quote
I use a cabinet, tho a small handheld would work I am sure, maybe you can make a big cardboard box and do it in it to catch the media as to not use as much. Doing it this way is going to go everywhere and will sting a lot so wear a coat, gloves and eye protection. If you were local, I'd say just come over an we would knock it out in a few mins. So maybe call around your area and someone will do the same?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are going to rattle can it, just hand smooth it all out, scuff, de-grease and paint over the alumahyde.
I use a cabinet, tho a small handheld would work I am sure, maybe you can make a big cardboard box and do it in it to catch the media as to not use as much. Doing it this way is going to go everywhere and will sting a lot so wear a coat, gloves and eye protection. If you were local, I'd say just come over an we would knock it out in a few mins. So maybe call around your area and someone will do the same?
View Quote
Nobody around here has a clue about guns lol. I think ill get a portable hF blaster (been wanting one anyway)
So which media do you recommend? Its an Arsenal AK (not that it matters) with baked alumahyde
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Garnet is cheap and will work fast and easy.

I am doing one AK now so lighting sucks in this pic and several in the past but mainly black or bronze or OD.

This one was a wild design to match an AR he had done:

Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice looking work man! Thanks for all the advice brother
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top