Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2024 5:01:49 PM EDT
Freinds, did a larger batch than normal of 9mm and my "green" media separator displeased me.

What's the best quality pin/media separator bucket spinner thinger?
Lid doesn't fall on the floor when opened.
Basket and trunion assembly doesn't try dumping or isn't flimsy.
Has a pour lipp for dumping the nasty water out.
Bonus for a drain located a ways up from the bottom.

What are y'all using?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Dillon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Lyman. Although it works well, I don't think it fits your requirements.
Sorry I couldn't help.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:39:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stgdz] [#3]
I just tilt the fart until pins start to fall out and then empty the rest into a 5 gallon bucket.

Shake it up and down for 30 seconds, grab pins with magnet and dump old water.

I repeat this cycle a few times till I can get most of the suds out and then dump cases on a towel in the driveway.

Sweep a magnet and grab pins.

Agitate a few more times and grab the rest of the pins.

Seems to work faster than panning for pins.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Thumlers Tumbler modelB.
No fart for me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the green media separator with these:

Lyman dual sifter

Just dump the wet brass and pins into the sifter. Brass stays in the top tray, pins in the bottom tray.

I then dump the brass into the green top and rinse with water. The green top works great as a wash basin .I then dump it back into the sifter.

Next the brass gets dumped into the green media separator to remove any remaining pins. No additional water is needed.

dry your brass as usual. All pins will stay in the sifter until needed again.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bm3:
Dillon.
View Quote

Doesn't appear to have a top?
Any issues with splashing?
Looks moar sturdy other than the top cover thing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Dillon.
View Quote

This… the Dillon one is awesome, and I’ve owned/broken/gave away at least three other brands and they were garbage compared to the Dillon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]
So I'm thinking about that Dillon one and,  they have to source the tub on the bottom from somewhere don't they?
I just did as much 40 brass as would fit in the green separator and I am shocked it didn't bust.

Also, I should have searched because I am not the only one that's ever asked this.

But I am also interested in what everyone else does.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:10:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#9]
Originally Posted By meistermash:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Dillon.

No issues with splashing for me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like my Frankford Aresnal separator.
It has a pour section on one corner that has a little screen for catching media.
The lid pulls double duty as a pour tray and has a larger screen in the middle  for initial media catching on your first pour. I've only used that feature a few times.

Frankford Arsenal Wet/Dry Media Separator

I've only used mine about 20 times, but it seems well built and should hold up over the years.

It appears to be a smoking price on Amazon, if you like to shop there.
https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Separator-Perforated-Reloading/dp/B01B6S8JUC
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By savagemann:
It has a pour section on one corner that has a little screen for catching media.
The lid pulls double duty as a pour tray and has a larger screen in the middle  for initial media catching on your first pour. I've only used that feature a few times.

I've only used mine about 20 times, but it seems well built and should hold up over the years.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Separator-Perforated-Reloading/dp/B01B6S8JUC
View Quote

I have this one too. It’s what I use exclusively for wet tumbling media, it’s excellent for that job. I use the Dillon for dry media separation.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By savagemann:

View Quote

I've been using a different version of that for a long time and it works pretty good for wet but I never tried it for dry.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Is this the Dillon separator to which several of you have referred?  

It works great for dry media, will it do so for wet cleaning with pins?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:28:35 AM EDT
[#14]
That's the smaller dillon I think.

Ehh I don't know but I'm going try the cheapy from the Amazon link.
Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been  using the "Green" media separator for several years and it works for me just fine. I rinse my brass a couple of times before I toss it into separator. Than change water a second time, than into a Lyman shell dryer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Tier 1?  $120 Dillon??  

My colanders (one for dry and one for wet) and bucket has been doing great for over a decade...
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/media/catalog/product/2/1/21045_1.jpg?optimize=high&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=798&width=798&canvas=798:798

View Quote

That is the small Dillon $99. The large is twice the size $135. I have the small and it's a tank. A couple of spins and I'm done.  I also have an FA and an RCBS both feel very cheap when spinning either dry or wet.

I don't know if the metal parts on the Dillon will rust or not as I only use it for dry media. I use the FA or RCBS when I wet tumble.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ZA206:

This… the Dillon one is awesome, and I’ve owned/broken/gave away at least three other brands and they were garbage compared to the Dillon.
View Quote

I'll second the Dillon. Owned it for 15 years before wet tumbling was a thing. I was worried the metal parts would rust but they are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I do use a FA colander type that fits in a 5gal bucket.
After I spin the pins out I dump the brass in it.
It's just for holding the brass and letting water by.
After I wash the pins out of the drum, I use it to pour the brass back into the drum so I can rinse it.
Then I dump it back into the colander to drain water.

The idea is to not handle the brass or pins.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Dillon.
View Quote

Same.  Built so well my grandkids will be using it
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/media/catalog/product/2/1/21045_1.jpg?optimize=high&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=798&width=798&canvas=798:798

View Quote

It works excellent for SSTL media.  Fill the tub about 1/2-2/3 full of water, add brass to the sifter, close it up.  Spin it a 12 times both directions.  Done.  I think I might see a pin every now and then but I catch them when I process brass.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I do use a FA colander type that fits in a 5gal bucket.
After I spin the pins out I dump the brass in it.
It's just for holding the brass and letting water by.
After I wash the pins out of the drum, I use it to pour the brass back into the drum so I can rinse it.
Then I dump it back into the colander to drain water.

The idea is to not handle the brass or pins.
View Quote

That is exactly what I use, and it works fine for pistol brass like 9mm.  But I use the FA tumbler, so I think in terms of that for quantity…

My process: First- dump out the dirty water from the tumbler, rinse, and so on.  Next- put the collander type separator in a 5 or 3 gallon bucket, put the bucket in the garage sink.  Then pour about 1/4 of the tumbler full into the separator.  Shake the hell out of it, spray down the brass with the faucet sprayer, making sure to hit the separator sides (you are washing the pins into the bucket).  Repeat that for a total of 2 or 3 shake and rinse cycles.  Pour the brass into an aluminum pan for oven drying, start over with the next 1/4 batch.  

Works absolutely great for pistol brass.  (Not as great for rifle, I have to handle that to dump out the pins and water, rinse them out about 40 at a time.)

Less steps than what you are doing.  I don’t own a spinning separator (yet).  Only part I don’t like is that shaking the brass around can be loud…

Maybe give it a try before buying a new separator?  It separates the pins and rinses off the brass in on stage basically…
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:47:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Ok my friends, got the FA separator today.
I haven't used it yet but there are several things about it that seem much better.
I'll have to bathe some 45 brass i have been procrastinating about sorting and try it out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:35:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumple] [#25]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I’ve been using the Hornady separator for a couple years now,it works great for moderate amounts of brass. No pour spout,but it’s rectangular,so the corners work for that. I use it for wet and dry,no issues,and is considerably easier than the collanders I was using.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I have two of the separators from Cabela's.  They're awesome.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Ok the FA unit is much better.
The top lid has a screen in it so you can use that.
Still have to be slow and gentle pouring the brass and pins into the cage.
Agitation, slow and steady or it will fling a few pins out where the two halves meet.
The roots of the handles catch on the sides however if you don't watch.
I may snip the corners off the trunion to help with this.
The handles just snap into the bowl from the sides but are still better than the half nubs the green one has.
It's 50% better than the green one.

I only use a magnet to corral up the occasional pin.
There is usually a couple here n there that escape.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I use the one from Hornady. Works pretty good for separating pins from wet tumbled brass.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top