Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2023 1:21:34 AM EDT
With up to 4 parts in the system (barrel, mount, adapter, can), and 3 of those being available in Ti, and all 4 being available in some form of SS, what should I know about galling? Or is it a non-issue?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 3:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Searched, but the thread the last time this question was asked is too old I guess.
Eventual answer was to use a ceramic anti-seize like the links below, never knew there were food grade anti-seize but it was brought up that the high pressure hot gases in the suppressor connectors could blow the anti-seize into the air in tiny droplets, not good for the lungs if it contains nickel or other metal particles.

Ceramic Anti-Seize

Food Grade Anti-seize
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Any metal can gall, Ti is a bit more prone to it because the material is really tough but not very hard.

Biggest thing is to make sure mating surfaces are clean, and use a lube or anti-seize if you feel things are a bit tight, especially threads.

Ti and stainless can absolutely gall each other as well, so use of the dissimilar metals doesn't automatically preclude it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm concerned not only about galling, but simply wearing out threads. All my cans are DT, so not talking about coarse QD threads.  I like something with good lubrication, so I choose grease. A few guns have insufficient shoulder diameter for good retention.  Those get Teflon tape.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Galling is really only a concern with raw/untreated metals right? I’ve never concerned myself with it. Seems like every part of an AR or a can has a coating or treatment applied. The only threads I grease are the upper receiver threads for the barrel nut. Should I get my affairs in order and prepare for my funeral?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Galling is really only a concern with raw/untreated metals right? I’ve never concerned myself with it. Seems like every part of an AR or a can has a coating or treatment applied. The only threads I grease are the upper receiver threads for the barrel nut. Should I get my affairs in order and prepare for my funeral?
View Quote

I’ve never had a problem with a muzzle device personally, although I did have a Ti AGB gall once, and some dude that shops at the same SOT as me galled a mount to his barrel. I’ve heard that stainless and Ti have the most risk.

Do Rocksett or Loktite increase, or decrease this risk?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’ve never had a problem with a muzzle device personally, although I did have a Ti AGB gall once, and some dude that shops at the same SOT as me galled a mount to his barrel. I’ve heard that stainless and Ti have the most risk.

Do Rocksett or Loktite increase, or decrease this risk?
View Quote

Until it dries/cures, Loctite acts as a thread lubricant. So it should decrease the risk of galling. I don't know the science behind Rocksett, but technically, even water is a lubricant (albeit a poor one). So I would expect Rocksett to also decrease the risk of galling.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]
not to thread jack but im concerned for galling as well... id like to run the Q plan b on my nomad since the rifle already came with a cherry bomb but i was told galling is inevitable
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top