Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2018 1:22:14 PM EDT
I was able to pick up a used Dillon 550b at a great price, but need a bench to mount it. Ideally, I'd like something that I can use in my office or the garage, or most anywhere as needed.

Thoughts on something like this as the base for a reloading bench?

Husky 46in 9 Drawer Mobile Workbench

I've poked and prodded them in the store multiple times, and they seem really stable with the big casters. There's lots of storage for tool heads and dies and such. Rumor has it there may be a good deal on these for Black Friday.

What am I not seeing? What are the drawbacks here?

-muppetlord
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Doesn't need to be anything special.
That should be fine if the wheels lock, is it high enough for you to stand in front of it? Might be hard to sit in front of it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83091/2018-08-04_17_07_23_jpg-737720.JPG

Doesn't need to be anything special.
That should be fine if the wheels lock, is it high enough for you to stand in front of it? Might be hard to sit in front of it.
View Quote
The wheel locks felt solid to me. I hadn't considered height really. It's probably too low to stand in front of for too long. I'll try to find a stool or something next time I'min the store and test sitting in front of it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
$400?

I'm handy and cheap and would build what I wanted out of wood for way less than $100.

You asked.
View Quote
Fair. $400 is more than I want to spend, but if I can get it down to $250 or $280 on a Black Friday sale, or a gift card deal, it's probably worth my time.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I did almost this exact project a few years ago. We were in a town home in Houston with limited space.  It worked out great.

I used a bench from Lowe's. Kolbalt brand that was less expensive than your Huskey.

I had multiple presses including a couple 550s.  I made an oversized top utilizing doubled up 1/2 plywood giving me a lip on each end that extended out about 1 1/2" on both sides. I mounted my presses on 2 x 10s cut to the length of the new top. I then used clamps to mount the various presses utilizing the lips.

The system worked like a charm. Used it 4-5 years until we moved out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was able to pick up a used Dillon 550b at a great price, but need a bench to mount it. Ideally, I'd like something that I can use in my office or the garage, or most anywhere as needed.

Thoughts on something like this as the base for a reloading bench?

What am I not seeing? What are the drawbacks here?

-muppetlord
View Quote
I too wanted something I could use where I like, and that I could also actually shelf in storage out of the way when I am not using it....... so I mounted my 550 on a portable pad that I can clamp (or bolt) to any secure base..

I glued two, two foot wide pieces of 3/4 inch plywood together (make them about as deep as the base you will use), and then bolt mounted the stock Dillon 550 mount and press (the mounts that come with it, nothing fancy) on the 2 foot wide front edge of the glued sheets using a 2 foot 2 x 4 under the edge as support.    Doing this you will now have a heavy base you can secure to any stable flat surface (like a heavy desk indoors, or an existing work bench outdoors) and you are gtg.   The 2x4 under the front edge buts up against the edge of your existing surface, and the plywood lays on top.

I secure the portable pad to a desk (in my case, an old steel case desk that is heavier than a lead piano) using a couple bar clamps when reloading indoors.

When reloading in my shop, I secure the pad to my existing work bench using 4 bolts.

When the 550 isn't in service, or I just want it out of the way ..... the whole thing goes on a high shelf in the storage room, away from kids that unfortunately may not know better, or my "buddies" that think they do lol.

Making a portable pad is something to consider if you already have stable bases in the areas you want to use your press.......and dirt cheap, and totally portable compared to what you were thinking.

The drawback of the linked mobile workbench is imo....it is money wasted if you already have stable bases at your disposal, and probably not as stable as I would like.

If you don't already have a stable base ....... get or make one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]
If you use the Dillon powder measure,  the weight of your powder drops will be all over the place if the press isn't solidly mounted.

Even if the bench is relatively solid, it often needs to be mounted to the wall to keep the press from shaking.

I was having an issue with inconsistencies.  You can see the steel plate my press is mounted to that tightened things up.  It is under the strong mount and is almost 1/2" thick.

Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
$400?

I'm handy and cheap and would build what I wanted out of wood for way less than $100.

You asked.
View Quote
I'm not handy but I'm cheap and would figure something else out. I started reloading on a folding sawhorse and using a coffee table to sit on.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$400?

You asked.
View Quote
Agreed.

Could probably make something serviceable out out steel a lot cheaper (and tougher) than that $400 toolbox.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Me and my dad built a reloading bench that has wheels on it. We got the plans off of the internet for a utilitarian work shop bench, and all together I think it took maybe two weeks to get it assembled. Thats cutting the wood, glueing, screwing, finishing, and varnishing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was living in an apartment I bought a Craftsman rolling tool chest that had and upper and lower section. I took a sheet of 3/4” plywood and cut a pice to fit perfectly on the top of the bottom box, inside the lip the top box sets down inside. I marked the holes used to bolt the top and bottom boxes together and drilled them out on the plywood. I took some more of the plywood and doubled it, making it 1 1/2” thick, glued it together, but it was wider so there was about a 10 inch “table top” that stuck out from each side of the box. I glued / screwed the table top to the piece that was cut to fit in the top of bottom box and drilled the holes the rest the way through. I then put it all together and bolted it down snug. I bolted my Rockchucker and powder measure to one side and my 550B to the other side and used the drawers to store the tools, dies, tool heads and components. I was able to keep in in the storage closet, then wheel it out to do some loading. It was pretty slick and as long as I worked slow / steady it was stable enough to be consistant and load accurately.

I had some pics of the set up, but they got deleted by mistake.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a heavy duty B&D Work Mate IRRC #425?
Mount press to 2x12.  Cut another 2x12 and make a shelf across the legs and weigh down the Work Mate with ammo boxes etc.
Worked just find for me for 8 years in apt loading on 550.
I have another 2x12 with my RCBS Jr. press mounted.  I was resizing 300 Win Mags with no problems!
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When I was living in an apartment I bought a Craftsman rolling tool chest that had and upper and lower section. I took a sheet of 3/4” plywood and cut a pice to fit perfectly on the top of the bottom box, inside the lip the top box sets down inside. I marked the holes used to bolt the top and bottom boxes together and drilled them out on the plywood. I took some more of the plywood and doubled it, making it 1 1/2” thick, glued it together, but it was wider so there was about a 10 inch “table top” that stuck out from each side of the box. I glued / screwed the table top to the piece that was cut to fit in the top of bottom box and drilled the holes the rest the way through. I then put it all together and bolted it down snug. I bolted my Rockchucker and powder measure to one side and my 550B to the other side and used the drawers to store the tools, dies, tool heads and components. I was able to keep in in the storage closet, then wheel it out to do some loading. It was pretty slick and as long as I worked slow / steady it was stable enough to be consistant and load accurately.

I had some pics of the set up, but they got deleted by mistake.
View Quote
Sounds great. The last five years I've loaded on my kitchen table. I don't really have a good place to set up a full bench for my two presses. My stuff goes in a rolling steamer trunk and I set up on the kitchen table with a clamp down jig. It all stores in the closet when not in use.

Saw your post here and I'm getting ideas. I have an old, heavy Kennedy rolling box with locking casters. It will require repainting, but that sounds like a great solution for my situation.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I used something like this for years between homes, rentals, and GI housing.  Easy to move around once you've removed the press.

Link Posted: 11/17/2018 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#15]
What’s your hard line on mobile v portable?

In the beginning I bolted my press to a 2x6 or 2x8 then clamped that to many things: counters, tables, desks etc.

That might be your cheapest solution.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Good feedback from everyone. The rolling chest is indeed $100 off for Black Friday. The suggestions for stabilizing the base are excellent and exactly what I was looking for.

I hadn't considered consistency of the powder drops, so thanks for the heads up there @wildearp

I may pick up the mobile workbench anyway, even if it doesn't work out as a reloading base, I can always use another rolling tool chest.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Like the harbor freight box more. There's a 15% off coupon you can use now on it now or wait till Black Friday and get it for $5 cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Like the harbor freight box more. There's a 15% off coupon you can use now on it now or wait till Black Friday and get it for $5 cheaper.
View Quote
When you say the Harbor Freight one, you mean something like this?  Harbor Freight Mobile Cabinet
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I found an old printer cart/cabinet on craigslist for $20. Stuck some carpet on top and mounted 2 press'.
Have not seen powder drop variations. I do have to put my left hand on the press when seating primers but ypu get used to it quick.

Photo's doesn't really show the whole thing but it's roughly 36" wide and 24" tall with storage inside.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get a heavy duty B&D Work Mate IRRC #425?
Mount press to 2x12.  Cut another 2x12 and make a shelf across the legs and weigh down the Work Mate with ammo boxes etc.
Worked just find for me for 8 years in apt loading on 550.
I have another 2x12 with my RCBS Jr. press mounted.  I was resizing 300 Win Mags with no problems!
View Quote
Those B&D Work Mates are real solid and they fold up pretty flat. If I needed a portable way to set up presses on it would be one of my first choices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top