Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2017 1:38:31 PM EDT
Pretty much as the title says, what is involved from the NFA standpoint? I have 2-14.5” SBR’s and instead of doing another SBR, I’m thinking of pinning the FH on it, and using the lower for a 9mm, 10”build, can I just do it, or Di need to redo my Form 1 to the BATFE? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Make like Nike and Just Do It
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

You can change your SBR's barrel length, caliber, etc. at will, an unlimited number of times, back and fourth, etc.  No need to notify the ATF or anything official.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This.

You can change your SBR's barrel length, caliber, etc. at will, an unlimited number of times, back and fourth, etc.  No need to notify the ATF or anything official.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Nice, and good to know.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
...and, to anticipate the follow-up question, there's no requirement that you keep the original upper, or retain the ability to reconfigure the SBR to match the Form 1.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Can anyone cite the law or any literature on this? Or is this an opinion because no one has been prosecuted.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can anyone cite the law or any literature on this? Or is this an opinion because no one has been prosecuted.
View Quote
It’s on the atf’s Site, also in the paperwork you filled out to create the sbr.

Rifle configuration can be changed at anytime, they ask that you first build it to the specs you applied for, but it’s not required.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can you cite the law or regulation that requires any action on the owner's part when making a change?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
no. Laws make things illegal. What isn't illegal is legal.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#9]
So if install a DD MK 18 upper, 10.3" barrel on my DD V7S, 11.5" barrel, there will be no issue.

Correct?

Link Posted: 1/14/2018 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Correct.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
With a registered SBR lower, you can use ANY upper.  Any caliber (as long as it works in that lower), any barrel length.  No legal issues at all.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The OP asked how one would go about permanently changing the "Description of Firearm" portion (item 4) on a 5320.1, for an SBR. He didn't ask about using an alternate upper on a registered lower.

As per the document itself (5320.1), it specifically states:
Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Division, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearm in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant.

"shall notify, in writing"
Seems to be quite lucid.

The above would be the relative portion affecting the permanent change to an SBR's description.

If any of you can prove otherwise, I'd love for you to provide actual documentation. An ATF/NFA Ruling or Open Letter would be fantastic. Other than either of these, nothing else would hold legal status.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The OP asked how one would go about permanently changing the "Description of Firearm" portion (item 4) on a 5320.1, for an SBR. He didn't ask about using an alternate upper on a registered lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ah, no, he didn't.   He specifically asked about using an alternate upper on a registered lower.  Also, he never used the word "permanent;"

OP said:
I have 2-14.5” SBR’s and instead of doing another SBR, I’m thinking of pinning the FH on it, and using the lower for a 9mm, 10” build, can I just do it, or Di need to redo my Form 1 to the BATFE
He is going to pin a FH on one of his 14.5" uppers, and then use that registered lower to for a 9mm, 10" build.  Which simply entails a drop-in block and a 9mm upper.

Reading really is fundamental, after all.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]
@ScottS
Quoted:
Ah, no, he didn't.   He specifically asked about using an alternate upper on a registered lower.  Also, he never used the word "permanent;"
OP said:
He is going to pin a FH on one of his 14.5" uppers, and then use that registered lower to for a 9mm, 10" build.  Which simply entails a drop-in block and a 9mm upper.  
Reading really is fundamental, after all.
View Quote
If he's pinning a FH to his 14.5, then this is no longer a Title II firearm. Seeing that he plans to use a different length barrel as well as caliber, hence keeping the title II status, he's changing the "Description of Firearm" (as per the pertinent 5320.1) and ATF needs to be notified.

Clearly, comprehension is more important than reading alone
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@ScottS

If he's pinning a FH to his 14.5, then this is no longer a Title II firearm. Seeing that he plans to use a different length barrel as well as caliber, hence keeping the title II status, he's changing the "Description of Firearm" (as per the pertinent 5320.1) and ATF needs to be notified.

Clearly, comprehension is more important than reading alone
View Quote
How are you not getting this.

He's swapping uppers on a registered lower.  None of the changes are permanent. You were wrong.  Own it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As per the document itself (5320.1), it specifically states:
Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Division, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearm in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant.

"shall notify, in writing"
Seems to be quite lucid.

The above would be the relative portion affecting the permanent change to an SBR's description.

If any of you can prove otherwise, I'd love for you to provide actual documentation. An ATF/NFA Ruling or Open Letter would be fantastic. Other than either of these, nothing else would hold legal status.
View Quote
You are correct that the Form 1 states what you quoted, but it is simply a request by the ATF, assuming, so they can keep the registry up to date.

However, there is no law requiring you to notify the ATF of a change to a registered item, so if you fail to notify them, there's really no action they could take against you.

The only time it might cause a problem would be if you go to transfer the item in the future to a new owner and in a different configuration than the original, now the old Form 1 info won't match the new Form 4, and there will be confusion until you explain that there was a change.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You are correct that the Form 1 states what you quoted, but it is simply a request by the ATF, assuming, so they can keep the registry up to date.

However, there is no law requiring you to notify the ATF of a change to a registered item, so if you fail to notify them, there's really no action they could take against you.

The only time it might cause a problem would be if you go to transfer the item in the future to a new owner and in a different configuration than the original, now the old Form 1 info won't match the new Form 4, and there will be confusion until you explain that there was a change.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He's swapping uppers on a registered lower.  None of the changes are permanent. You were wrong.  Own it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
He's not swapping uppers, he's permanently changing the firearm from the description in Item 4c & e.

Quoted:However, there is no law requiring you to notify the ATF of a change to a registered item, so if you fail to notify them, there's really no action they could take against you.
Understood, however:
I never said there was a law/regulation or that the ATF could come after you. The question was referring to the process by which one undergoes when making a permanent change to an SBR, on a 5320.1. As you stated, there might be an issue in the future with the firearm's description not matching that of the registry. So, why wouldn't you want the ATF/NFA to have the latest info?

Everyone is spouting about go-ahead, you're all good, but not giving the man the whole truth. I do so and I hear whining about non-existent laws. Seems like most of you are not really trying to help the guy, but, instead, uping your own post counts.

Bottom line:
An official gov't document (ATF 5320.1) says "shall notify, in writing, of any change".
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's no law that says you can do it, it's just that there's no statutory requirement that you notify BATFE if you change length, caliber, etc.

If there's no requirement to notify then there is no requirement.  Law in this country work by telling you what you can't do, not by telling you what you can do.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#20]
He's not swapping uppers, he's permanently changing the firearm from the description in Item 4c & e
View Quote
How are you not getting it?  Barring WELDING an upper to his stamped lower, no change he makes to it is permanent.  He can always get another identical upper and slap[ that on if he so chooses.

Permanent means it's impossible to go back to the prior configuration, and in the AR world, absent welding something to the lower, nothing is permanent.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:How are you not getting it?  Barring WELDING an upper to his stamped lower, no change he makes to it is permanent.  He can always get another identical upper and slap[ that on if he so chooses.
Permanent means it's impossible to go back to the prior configuration, and in the AR world, absent welding something to the lower, nothing is permanent.
View Quote
Where do you ppl come up w/ some of this sh*t? Welding, really?
If I had an SBR, w/ a collapsible/adjustable stock, I'd measure OAL with the stock extended (27 CFR 479.11). If I collapse the stock, no, it's not a change because I could readily return it to it's prior configuration. However, if I were to remove the stock and replace it with one that made that the OAL longer, how would that be a permanent change? Oh, I forgot, I didn't weld it. Really?

What about an SBR'd Rem700 being converted from a 14" 5.56 to an 8" 300Blk? You wouldn't need to weld anything to make the change. Just swap barrels, no bolt head swap needed. Now, if I sold the original barrel, how would that not be construed as intent to permanently change? Because I didn't weld it or because it's not an AR15 type firearm?
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:Now, if I sold the original barrel, how would that not be construed as intent to permanently change?
View Quote
The reason it wouldn't be construed as anything is because nobody would give an actual shit about it.

The only one in the whole wide world who MIGHT have any reason to care would be the next transferee who needs to refer to the prior form 4/form 1 to get the details that won't result in an error letter from the ATF. Nobody at the ATF or anywhere else is laying awake worrying about whether the OAL and caliber statistics in the NFRTR are accurate or not.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m building a 9mm upper, my concern was the caliber change. It say 5.56 on it now, and I will being doing a drop in 9mm block, plus the paper work says 14.5” and we have a few asshat cops around here, who from pure ignorance cause one all sorts of grief. I’m not even sure if I want to pin the FH on the 14.5 as it’s a Block 2 M4 clone, and I have another SBR lower built as a Block 1 clone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If I had an SBR, w/ a collapsible/adjustable stock, I'd measure OAL with the stock extended (27 CFR 479.11). If I collapse the stock, no, it's not a change because I could readily return it to it's prior configuration. However, if I were to remove the stock and replace it with one that made that the OAL longer, how would that be a permanent change? Oh, I forgot, I didn't weld it. Really?

What about an SBR'd Rem700 being converted from a 14" 5.56 to an 8" 300Blk? You wouldn't need to weld anything to make the change. Just swap barrels, no bolt head swap needed. Now, if I sold the original barrel, how would that not be construed as intent to permanently change? Because I didn't weld it or because it's not an AR15 type firearm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Permanent:  lasting or intended to last or remain unchanged indefinitely
You really think swapping a stock is a permanent change?  Or putting a different upper on an SBR is permanent?

I suppose you also think that changing your underwear is a permanent change to your body?

ETA, you seem to forget we're talking about ARs here, by design modular rifles.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m building a 9mm upper, my concern was the caliber change. It say 5.56 on it now, and I will being doing a drop in 9mm block, plus the paper work says 14.5” and we have a few asshat cops around here, who from pure ignorance cause one all sorts of grief. I’m not even sure if I want to pin the FH on the 14.5 as it’s a Block 2 M4 clone, and I have another SBR lower built as a Block 1 clone.
View Quote
You’re fine, if you feel the need notify the ATF go ahead.

I wouldn’t bother as you can revert it back to original configuration even though it’s not required.

They ask you, so......
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
how would that not be construed as intent to permanently change?
View Quote
It would not be construed as "intent to permanently change" because "intent to permanently change" has no legal significance.  Actually making a permanent change has no legal significance (except insofar as it might remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA entirely).  There is simply no requirement to inform ATF of changes to the configuration of a firearm, NFA or otherwise.  Yes, I know what the Form 1 says.  That doesn't mean the law requires it--and it doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t bother as you can revert it back to original configuration even though it’s not required.

They ask you, so......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They ask you, so......
The less they know and the less I have to deal with them the better. My concern was Barney Fife, now I have none. Thanks all!
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The less they know and the less I have to deal with them the better. My concern was Barney Fife, now I have none. Thanks all!
View Quote
Even if you send a letter to the ATF advising them of your update they aren't going to send a new form 1 or 4 back to you. You might receive a brief acknowledgement letter a few months later. None of that is going to fix a cop who is stuck on ignorant.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Even if you send a letter to the ATF advising them of your update they aren't going to send a new form 1 or 4 back to you. You might receive a brief acknowledgement letter a few months later. None of that is going to fix a cop who is stuck on ignorant.
View Quote
True
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
You wouldn't even need to pin the FH on it as long as you didn't use the upper with a title1 rifle lower.

You have multiple legal uses for the upper so possession in and of itself wouldn't be illegal.

As to the legalities, well it's been explained, it's perfectly legal to do. ATF asks that they be notified, but there is nothing in the laws that require you to do so or for them to be able to punish you for not doing so.

Either way, you don't get a new form with the current info.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You wouldn't even need to pin the FH on it as long as you didn't use the upper with a title1 rifle lower.

You have multiple legal uses for the upper so possession in and of itself wouldn't be illegal.

As to the legalities, well it's been explained, it's perfectly legal to do. ATF asks that they be notified, but there is nothing in the laws that require you to do so or for them to be able to punish you for not doing so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I hate the thought of a pinned fh, I hate destroying them if you have to remove it, I also hate that I have unused lowers needing uppers as well, but that’s a whole different issue.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

He's not swapping uppers, he's permanently changing the firearm from the description in Item 4c & e.

-----

Understood, however:
I never said there was a law/regulation or that the ATF could come after you. The question was referring to the process by which one undergoes when making a permanent change to an SBR, on a 5320.1. As you stated, there might be an issue in the future with the firearm's description not matching that of the registry. So, why wouldn't you want the ATF/NFA to have the latest info?

Everyone is spouting about go-ahead, you're all good, but not giving the man the whole truth. I do so and I hear whining about non-existent laws. Seems like most of you are not really trying to help the guy, but, instead, uping your own post counts.

Bottom line:
An official gov't document (ATF 5320.1) says "shall notify, in writing, of any change".
View Quote
Define permanent...  With a modular firearm like the AR15 an upper change does not permanently change the properties of the firearm considering it can be changed again with a push of two pins.

The only time I would be compelled to write a BATFE notification would be something like a cutting a HK94 clone down to a "K" variant, where a change would obviously require gunsmithing, and I am obviously not intending to change it back.  YMMV

The real bottom line is: If you are concerned about it, feel free to send the BATFE a notice of the change on your AR15, but there is no legal requirement to do so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top