Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2019 11:02:27 PM EDT
Been doing some downsizing lately for some personal reasons.  I'm thinking about downsizing a rifle that could be used as a hunting rifle.  I rarely deer hunt, but when I go, I take an AR in 6.8spc with a 1-6x optic.

The rifle I'm thinking about downsizing is a 30.06 Remington 700 ADL that was made in the late 1960s.  Has a 24" sporter barrel. Nice rifle, but doesn't get shot much.

Most deer in my area are taken at under 100 yards.  The 6.8 ought to be great for that.  It's nice to have a 2nd rifle in case I ever go out and lend a deer rifle to someone, but I have a Mosin Nagant that ought to do the trick.

Just thinking about putting a little cash in my pocket and emptying some space in the safe for something that might get shot more.

Which rifle do you think I'd be better served by?

Also realized I have not shot my Glock 35 in some time.  I got a PPQ and a VP9 recently, and now shoot them all the time.  The 35 is my last 40sw.  Thinking about getting out of the caliber all together.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Me personally,  I'd sell the MN and keep the Americana  (30.06)
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m a fudd deer gun guy, but I just sold my first centerfire rifle, a Remington 700 BDL (I’m lefty) with a Mountain Rifle stock, bought circa 1980. Was a great, stable rifle that never shifted POI in all the years I owned it. Sighted in with and killed truck loads of deer with Federal Premium 165gr GK boat tails.

But the 6.8 at the range you hunt is plenty, and more versatile.

If you are looking to downsize, I’d sell the 700.

But I’d sell the Mosin before the 700!
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#3]
The Mosin was my first rifle.

I also have a 1903a3 8n 30.06 for shooting CMP matches.  Guess it would do the job too, probably better than the Mosin.  Could downsize the R700 and Mosin...
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to have a nice .308 Rem 700 VS. I sold it to buy a Romanian PSL. Don't regret it one bit. The PSL is no slouch accuracy wise.

I also sold a Ruger Mini-14 to buy a nice optic and furniture for my AR, essentially.

Whatever makes you happy.

I'm currently selling an upper and a 15-22 to pay for some arm braces and minor accessories. I'll always keep the favorites...and those will usually accumulate fancy parts and modifications until the point that they are unsellable.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I finally have my collection where I mostly want it and don’t ever intend to sell anything I currently own. I will down size over the next few years when the kids start leaving home. I will send them out to start their lives well armed.  I would keep that 700 if I were you OP. It has a story to it and that story is all about you. That can’t be replaced.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestion.

The R700, I bought it at a pawn shop last year, got a good deal for it.  Only shot it once.  It's real story belongs to whoever pawned it...
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
My first deer was taken with a MN 38 with SP 203gr (maybe) bullets. She ran 15 yards, collapsed and died right there.

I agree the rem 700 should be kept.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Keep the Remington 700.

Sell the Mosin Nagant.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have no reason or desire to keep something, sell it and get something you will use. I have done it many times-guns,tools,etc. and have never really regretted anything I sold,other than maybe 1 or 2 guns I miss but everything is replaceable. A family heirloom or something like that, I would keep.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep the Remington 700.

Sell the Mosin Nagant.
View Quote
I agree with this.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Ended up selling the Remington 700 in 30.06.  I won't miss it, only took it shooting once.  Still have 1 in .308 that I much prefer.

I will probably sell the Mosin next, but I have ammo for it I need to shoot first.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
The answer is always "Glock".  

Did you fetch a good price on the 700?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The answer is always "Glock".  

Did you fetch a good price on the 700?
View Quote
Yeah, more than I paid for it...  I'm happy with that.

The Glock doesn't get shot too much anymore.  I bought a VP9 and a PPQ a few years ago.  The VP9 gets shot all the time while the others sit in the safe.  Thought about letting the Glock and PPQ go, but I like the commonality of the Glock so I may hold onto it.  Might let the PPQ go and get another HK, maybe a P30, or 2nd VP9...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top