Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2018 7:56:07 AM EDT
Well I’ve put it off a long time but it’s getting close.  I may need to start reloading.  Probably start with 6.5 Grendel and 308, maybe add 223&9mm later on.  So I need/want:

1) Best guide/starter book there is

2) Machine options-not looking to start an Ammo company but time is money and I’d need to be able to crank out a decent volume to make it worth my time.  So what’s the “best” setup under $1k?  Warranty, ease of use, volume, repeatability?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#1]
ABCs of reloading.

The rest will come from others. Although I would say a good single stage press is a necessity.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Single stage to start and learn the basics.  You can upgrade to the 650 once you’ve gotten comfortable with the single stage.

Hornady or RCBS are good, and do kits.

Data from your powder manufacturer. Each has data for their powders, and tend to be more accurate (iirc Sierra actually refers to the powder man. if data conflicts)
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well I’ve put it off a long time but it’s getting close.  I may need to start reloading.  Probably start with 6.5 Grendel and 308, maybe add 223&9mm later on.  So I need/want:

1) Best guide/starter book there is

2) Machine options-not looking to start an Ammo company but time is money and I’d need to be able to crank out a decent volume to make it worth my time.  So what’s the “best” setup under $1k?  Warranty, ease of use, volume, repeatability?
View Quote
1: ABCs of Reloading, Lyman 50th, Hornady 10th - start with these 3.  All have viable info and load data.  Lyman data generally is a little hotter, Hornady data is always lower.  Use powder and bullet manufacturer data for comparison if not covered in those 2.  You can always ask questions on well regulated forums like here, or other reputable well regulated forums where experience reloaders hang out.

2: Lee Classic Turret kit - Will get you started minus the dies for around $200.  Production rate is better than a single stage, but the press can be used as a single when you get started.  You can always upgrade specific pieces as you feel the need.  Honestly the only things you would need plus for this kit are a couple of reloading blocks for cases, a deburring tool for case mouths, a decent set of calipers and a some type of trimmer for rifle cases.   Further things that are nice to have, different heads per caliber, maybe a better beam scale, a Hornady powder thru funnel die, and an Inline Fab auto ejector kit.  I always recommend this kit to people starting out.  You can get started for like $400 total minus the dies and additional heads per caliber, have a decent production rate, and even if you move up to a progressive at some point, you can always find a use for it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Long, long time lurker, 30+ year reloader here.
You've gotten some good advice here. But imho, I agree with dryflash. I started with a Dillon Square Deal (reloading for handgun only) and have zero regrets. Let me say first and foremost you MUST have some mechanical ability and patience to do this. For the ability to turn out good ammo in a decent amount of time the 650 is one of the top o the line machines. But there is a good bit to learn. I'm no genius but with some good books and the VHS tape from Dillon I was able to be up and running in a day or two. (Pre DVD AND internet)
I did end up with single stage presses years later when I started loading limited rifle ammo, but this was a cost/return thing more than anything else. I would jump on a 650 in a moment if it was in the cards financially.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Good book suggestions so far. Get the book and read before you go buy equipment.

I'm a fan of starting with a single stage, especially if you're going to start reloading bottleneck rifle ammo. You aren't worried about cranking out hundreds or thousands of rounds in one sitting. If you're like me, 50 rounds at the range is a busy day.

That will let you learn the basics without getting distracted tinkering with a progressive. Single stage in the grand scheme of things are cheap, and you'll always be able to use it.

You'll have a good amount of upfront spend to get all the other equipment you'll need like powder, bullets, primers, dies, scale, and all the odds and ends. It was overwhelming when I got started.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1) Best guide/starter book there is - a good place to start is The ABCs of Reloading

View Quote
I have 2 single stage presses that I use.  1 is a cheap (~$35) Lee "C" press that I use with a Lee universal decapping die to do all my decapping.  The other is a Hornady Lock-N-Load classic (single stage) press that I do everything else on.  I am very happy with both presses for their assigned duties.  Having said that, if I had it to do over again, I think I would bite the bullet and get a Forester CO-AX as my only press.  I use a hand priming tool for priming but I can also do it "on press"...

As a point of reference, I reload for bolt action rifle - quality is more important than quantity to me.  My typical batches are ~50 rounds (20 to 100).
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2 ways to go when you start.

1) Single stage, great to learn on and I still use my single stage often.

Get up to speed reloading, then get a progressive press.

2) Progressive (650), great instruction manual come with it and if you handy, not hard to learn.

You don't start of loading progressively but load 1 round all the way through the press, then load the next round.

Start slowly so that you can adjust your dies and get the feel for the press.

Once your press is set, you can load progressively (all 5 stations going at the same time).
View Quote
That is exactly how Dillon recommends beginning and what I did for a while. Should have mentioned it.

Many people are quite content with a single stage and enjoy the process more than the turning out of quantity. I did exactly this when first learning to load 7.5 Swiss and 300 Blackout and enjoyed myself immensely.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is exactly how Dillon recommends beginning and what I did for a while. Should have mentioned it.

Many people are quite content with a single stage and enjoy the process more than the turning out of quantity. I did exactly this when first learning to load 7.5 Swiss and 300 Blackout and enjoyed myself immensely.
View Quote
I only use my 650 for 9mm. Everything else (even 5.56 if I decide to load it) is on a single stage.

I have sped up quite a bit though by using a powder thrower as opposed to an electric dispenser.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Every reloader needs learn to crawl, walk, and then run.
Every reloader needs single state press!
And, the best quality option for equipment that will last a lifetime. Is the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit.
You watch for deals at times they can bad for less than 275 or so.  This gives a great press, a hand priming tool, a mechanical scale, a uniflow powder measure, and some other small tools such as lube and chamfer deburring tool.   Aside from case trimmer, dies and shell holders you are good to go for starters.

The good thing about the reloading industry is the the companies are very good about taking care problems. Dillon, Forster, Redding and RCBS are the top of the head But, they can not cure stupid and unreasonable expectations either. And, I have seen some on here and other forums dis on certain companies cuz the company did not see it "their way".  Well, how you approach dealing with issues is the foundation to a good relationship.  Case in point of a freaking MORON who bought Forster 300 Blackout dies.  Then insisted that he saw on YouTube that you just run a 223 case into the sizer and presto a 300 Blackout case.  He must have missed the first part about cutting the case down then sizing and finishing case prep!  This escalated to the president of one of the companies dealing with guy and just said he was sending a call label to pick up the press and dies as they could not CURE STUPID!  And, refunded the guy's money.

That is the problem with so much information!  People do not eat the whole meal, they taste test and never understand!

I do not entertain the idea that a 650 is good press for a new reloaders at all.
The press has too much going on for novice.  It is not amenable towards single stage use.
It is a great press for turning out ammo that is safe - accurate - reliable.
But it gets expensive FAST with conversions and extra tool heads etc.  A conversion kit plus a quick change goes for $200 about.
The 550C is a better option for a first progressive or even a Square Deal B.

There are so many good resources for videos
Ultimate Reloader
RCBS
Sinclair International

But there are goof ball moron YouTube channels

Invest yourself as the one poster said!  ABC's of Reloading and READ IT!  THEN REREAD IT!  Buy other manuals.  Get the Lyman 50th your best resource for Handgun Hands Down and Twice on Sunday!  Then fill in other brands for the brands of bullets you are loading!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Everyone will say learn on a single stage.  I never did.  Learned on a Dillon 650 and i recommend nothing else for an average guy that shoots a decent amount.

Just keep in mind the degree of accuracy you want costs more time and you might have to use slower production methods.

Also the dillon trimmer is the biggest time save out there
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I only use my 650 for 9mm. Everything else (even 5.56 if I decide to load it) is on a single stage.

I have sped up quite a bit though by using a powder thrower as opposed to an electric dispenser.
View Quote
This is one right answer. If I was to make any change it would be to change the progressive to a Square Deal as it's a great little press and less expensive. Much of it boils down to what you are interested in doing. For some the time spent and meticulously crafting a round is rewarding in and of itself. They will generally spend more time experimenting with different bullets, powders, primers, oal, etc. looking for the perfect load. Others, myself included, will find a "good" load and are interested in making a lot of it in a timely manner. There's nothing wrong with either process. Or both. Or a combination. Want a lot of pistol ammo for a steel match? Progressive all the way imho. Precision rifle at 200+yards? Lends itself to single stage and precision. Though both have served to do either.Just realize everyone has an opinion and they all may have merit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I suggest the Dillon RL550.  I use one to load 30+ calibers and you can load everything up to and including .460 Weatherby Mag on it.

It is a manual turret-type press that, with practice, you can load several hundred rounds per hour on and can easily set-up to do only decapping and trimming.

I also own a single stage RCBS and a Classic Lee Turret press; I keep them to load the occasional odd-ball for a couple friends that don't have the time or space to do it.

Starting from scratch, you absolutely DO NOT need a single-stage press. Don't waste your time or money on one. It's a new skill and you can easily learn a progressive or turret press IF you take your time at the outset, have read the instructions and any of the good books already posted herein.

One often-overlooked and a good source of reloading data are Load Books; they are caliber specific and contain data from numerous powder and bullet manufacturers in a single book.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#16]
ABCs of reloading ordered-step one down.  I may get some more literature also.  Still very undecided on the press-I like efficiency and speed, but quality matters. I’ve got a degree in Advanced Manufacturing so I can handle the technical stuff.  I tend to leap into things-if your gonna do it, DO IT.  But I hate wasting money also.  Then I was at work thinking about a progressive press, a PLC, and scale tied in to check weights!

Anyway thanks for the responses, still a lot of thinking before I order a press!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ABCs of reloading ordered-step one down.  I may get some more literature also.  Still very undecided on the press-I like efficiency and speed, but quality matters. I’ve got a degree in Advanced Manufacturing so I can handle the technical stuff.  I tend to leap into things-if your gonna do it, DO IT.  But I hate wasting money also.  Then I was at work thinking about a progressive press, a PLC, and scale tied in to check weights!

Anyway thanks for the responses, still a lot of thinking before I order a press!
View Quote
Perhaps do the true Arfcom thing and "get both".  Progressives are awesome for bulk ammo, but I wouldn't run one for precision.  Not saying they can't do it.  The big manufacturers have shown they can, but I'd rather single stage anything I expect a high degree of accuracy out of.

Dies make all the difference too.  If you're expecting great accuracy, spend the extra money and get good ones.  Look for match or benchrest quality dies.

If you want a cheap/easy trimmer, Little Crow Gunworks WFT is ok.  If you want high precision, look for one of the better models.  Trimming sucks though.  No doubt about that, unless you have a power trimmer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I deliberated endlessly over what press and style to get before I started. I almost went single stage or a cheaper indexing press and GLAD I didnt. I dont think I would have stuck with it at that pace and may not have wanted to pony up the money to upgrade. Hornaday was running their free bullet rebate and it was too stupid of a good deal not to get the LNL press. I almost went dillon 650 but the added expense for the ease of caliber changes turned me off, Hornaday was more appealing there too. Hand feeding the LNL press gets me what I need to get done in the time I make for it. Learning the press operation was as fun as learning to reload ammo. Looking back, I have no regrets jumping both feet into reloading 5 calibers on an auto indexing press.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I deliberated endlessly over what press and style to get before I started. I almost went single stage or a cheaper indexing press and GLAD I didnt. I dont think I would have stuck with it at that pace and may not have wanted to pony up the money to upgrade. Hornaday was running their free bullet rebate and it was too stupid of a good deal not to get the LNL press. I almost went dillon 650 but the added expense for the ease of caliber changes turned me off, Hornaday was more appealing there too. Hand feeding the LNL press gets me what I need to get done in the time I make for it. Learning the press operation was as fun as learning to reload ammo. Looking back, I have no regrets jumping both feet into reloading 5 calibers on an auto indexing press.
View Quote
Still sorting it all out, the Dillon is VERY appealing
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want precision rifle ammo-Redding T7 and Forster Coax are both excellent. A step up in Volume-Dillon 550 with ease of caliber conversions and used by a lot of shooters. Volume .223/pistol calibers...the 1050 rules. I have taught very new shooters to load on the 1050 in less than an hour.

Brass trimmer-the Giruad rules the roost.

If I were starting over after 30 years or so. I would start with a Dillon 550 and never look back. The most important piece of equipment is a mentor to help you get started. Once your dies are set up, the gauges set, everything else is easy. Learning how to dial things in...PRICELESS.

Two things will drive you deep into the rabbit hole....the search for the last degree of accuracy or increased production capacity. Only you will decide which path to follow. I have shot incredible groups at 500 yards and loaded a 1000 rounds per hour. The two are incompatible goals. Both were rewarding on different levels.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Two things will drive you deep into the rabbit hole....the search for the last degree of accuracy or increased production capacity. Only you will decide which path to follow. I have shot incredible groups at 500 yards and loaded a 1000 rounds per hour. The two are incompatible goals. Both were rewarding on different levels.
View Quote
This is the decision you have to make first. Or if you are after both which way you will lean toward. Both can certainly be done by different setups, but many machines are far better at one than the other.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
.... I’ve got a degree in Advanced Manufacturing so I can handle the technical stuff...
View Quote
Good!

If you can change your car's tire or change your own oil, then you are mechanically skilled enough to get a Dillon progressive press to produce:

1.  safe
2.  good
3.  quality
4.  accurate
5.  reliable

reloads/handloads.

I think you will also get mad/ticked off by the boredom/tedium of running brass in a batch process
through a single stage press.  If you really must, go crank on a buddy's single stage press for an hour or so...maybe make 10 or 20 complete rounds...just to get that out of your system.

Besides, there are so many reloading videos/channels on youtube now...versus the mid 1990's when there wasn't an internet...that if youu were to encounter a problem with a Dillon 650 or 1050 you could figure it out.  Not to mention this sub-forum here and the Brian Enos forums.

I have an old single stage RCBS press I bought back in 1994.

Its only duties now are pulling bullets and at some point when I get back to casting, it will be sizing boolits.

EDIT:  if money is no object or your curiosity is piqued since you have an Advanced Manufacturing degree, then check out the Mark 7 reloaders.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I won't get into the which press brand is the best, they all will make safe, reliable, accurate ammo and at a fast pace. I also don't buy into the thought of having to start on a single stage. I started off on my LNL AP reloading 9mm with Titegroup, it's a wonder I'm alive. .   Any of the progressives you can use like a single stage to get the feel of things. Most people who are mechanically inclined or just have a good process thought mentality can load on a progressive, it's not rocket science, but it does require absolute attention to what your doing.

The amount of resources on the net, whether it's videos, forums, and in books should have any question or challenge covered and that is before even considering the manufacturers videos.

It's never to late or the wrong time to get into reloading. I got into it late, 2011, prices were lower than than now, but still higher than long time reloaders, so my cost per completed round isn't that great but, I am still reloading 200gr RN 45 ACP loads for $0.09 round. My typical 223 load using 55gr FMJ is $0.18 . Though when I finish my last box of those bullets next week my prices will go up a little bit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Expect to spend well more than a grand. I got in in 2008 the day Obama was selected. I had little experience with reloading and went with a Dillon 650. I didn’t find it to be that hard to set up and adjust. Reading the instructions is a must. Having an analytical mind for troubleshooting problems is also a must.

I’d recommend getting your beak wet learning on a pistol caliber without a bottleneck case to begin with. You also need a decent work area to set up in. Reloading tends to take up a lot of space between storing brass, powder and primers to various support components like the thumbler and the media separator.

You won’t save money. You will shoot more. You’ll buy more equipment to try to minimize some of the tedious nature of the hobby. You spend a lot of time on brass prep. I find pistol calibers to be enjoyable to reload, bottlenecked rifle cartridges, not so much due to needing to track the number of times they’ve been fired.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You'll buy more equipment to try to minimize some of the tedious nature of the hobby. You spend a lot of time on brass prep.
View Quote
100% Truth

I don't know if you'll be reloading brass with crimped primer pockets, but if you are the Dillon Super Swage is a worthwhile investment imho. I wish I would have bought it from the start.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
100% Truth

I don't know if you'll be reloading brass with crimped primer pockets, but if you are the Dillon Super Swage is a worthwhile investment imho. I wish I would have bought it from the start.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'll buy more equipment to try to minimize some of the tedious nature of the hobby. You spend a lot of time on brass prep.
100% Truth

Interested in this Super Swage. I assume it's a die?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#27]
OP,

Not to knock on Dillon or any of the press/die manufacturers or single stage presses, but I learned how to reload (9mm and .380) the lowly Lee Loadmaster progressive five years ago. If I recall, that press and a set of carbide dies was $260 on sale. Added other needed stuff (manuals, tumbler, consumables, hand primer) and after a total expenditure of about $500, I was making 9mm range ammo.

I cannot give advice on necked cartridges (As demonstrated in a thread I started here)
, but I have seen experienced reloaders running necked rifle cartridges on Loadmasters on Youtube.  Soon as I work out a non lethal (to me) recipe for 300BO range ammo, I will move that production from my RCBS single to the Loadmaster.

Took some learning and press tweeking initially to make pistol ammo, but I have no regrets with this press to date.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This question is off topic in this thread.

Please start a thread about the Dillon Super Swage and we can discuss it there. Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interested in this Super Swage. I assume it's a die?
This question is off topic in this thread.

Please start a thread about the Dillon Super Swage and we can discuss it there. Thanks
Sorry, DF. I keep forgetting this ain't GD. :)
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:49:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I recommend the Redding T7 as a first press.

It's a turret press that is faster than a single stage, but slower than a progressive for bulk loading. It is also suited for loading very accurate ammo faster than both a single stage or a progressive using an instant indicator die in combination with a precision seating die (this is more advanced reloading, just take my word for it that a progressive cannot use this setup and a single stage is much slower)

Here is my precision rifle setup.

Attachment Attached File

Once you have reloading down to a science if you require a faster output you can upgrade to the progressive and the turret definitely still has utility making precision rifle ammo.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:08:45 AM EDT
[#31]
O.K. OP: You have heard a lot about the 650. First off it is not a bad press, but you also stated that you wanted to get started for two different calibers for under $1,000.00. You are not going to be able to do this with the Dillon.

Now, look at the Hornady AP.
Press About $400.00
Case feeder about $345.00
Case feeder large case plate about $32.00
Two different shell plates about $70.00
That leaves you about $150.00 to get two sets of dies. This should be no problem.
Oh, I forgot with this set up you get 600 bullets free. (they are not really free you have to pay S/H)
Now, later you want to add two more calipers. The Hornady will be cheaper than the Dillon.
Now let's say in a couple of years you want to go faster you can always get the Hornady bullet feeders. Dillon does not make a bullet feeder. If you want to add a bullet feeder to a Dillon you will have to get one from a different company. But then can you really call it a Dillon?
Now for speed, if you set up a Hornady and a Dillon stand-alone press side by side the Hornady will win every time. This is because the Dillon was designed to be run with the case feeder.
If you set up both presses with the case feeder and they are properly tuned and adjusted they are equal. (Now, before you Dillon Blue Dogs start yapping let me remind you I am the guy that has all but begged you all to bet your 100% Dillon against my 100% Hornady for the last four years.)
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Everyone will say learn on a single stage.  I never did.  Learned on a Dillon 650 and i recommend nothing else for an average guy that shoots a decent amount.

Just keep in mind the degree of accuracy you want costs more time and you might have to use slower production methods.

Also the dillon trimmer is the biggest time save out there
View Quote
Yes, for the love of God just skip the single stage.

Biggest waste of time if you plan to actually load in any real volume.

I think that advice as a knee-jerk response to any guy wanting to start reloading needs to die already and we need to start addressing volume, variety of calibers, and other factors first in crafting our responses.

Reloading is just not that hard, and this just adds to the unjustified mystique and perception of difficulty that keeps guys out of reloading.

Recommending a single stage is like telling a teenager to just buy a bicycle when he's shopping for a first car.

/rant
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#33]
.308 is super easy.  Watch some youtube videos.  Powder data is on manufacturer's websites.

Buy a Dillon 650.  Don't listen to that single stage nonsense.  If you want to load one at a time on a Dillon, you can still do that.

Worlds Finest Trimmer WFT II or Giraud.

Balance beam scale.

Calipers.

Case and cartridge gauge.

Lyman case prep multi tool.

Powder

Primers

Cases

Projectiles

eta:  When I first started reloading, I had a Dillon Square Deal.  Pistol reloads and significant volume of it were my interest.  I set up the press and was making quality ammo within 15 minutes.  I didn't read any books.  YouTube didn't exist back then. Back then, I didn't even clean my cases.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
O.K. OP: You have heard a lot about the 650. First off it is not a bad press, but you also stated that you wanted to get started for two different calibers for under $1,000.00. You are not going to be able to do this with the Dillon.
View Quote
I bet you can get awful close.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Other than the hardware, you should decide if you want to reload as a hobby.  A hobby that supports another hobby.   Regardless of equipment, you should consider the time involved in reloading, whether it's setting up equipment or prepping cases, or reloading itself.

I think if you ask most members in this forum, they enjoy reloading as well as shooting.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Other than the hardware, you should decide if you want to reload as a hobby.  A hobby that supports another hobby.   Regardless of equipment, you should consider the time involved in reloading, whether it's setting up equipment or prepping cases, or reloading itself.

I think if you ask most members in this forum, they enjoy reloading as well as shooting.
View Quote
What this fellow said.  My reasons for getting in to reloading were more pragmatic....Obama ammo shortage years and I wanted to make sure I had ammo available for me and the family to have enough 9mm on tap to stay proficient with our CC firearms.  It was not until I got in to it that I actually found it to be an enjoyable and productive venture for my winter downtime.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
More much more. I even like working on the presses more and it doesn't matter if its Hornady or my docs Dillon.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Very much this. At this point it seems like I to shooting so that I can reload more. I think I actually enjoy making the perfect ammo more than making the perfect shot. I realize they go hand in hand, but practicing shooting will only take you so far with factory ammo. Reloading ammo can take it all to a whole new level. I've shot a 0.3 moa 5 shot group at 200 yards with a factory Savage 10T. It's takes more than just good shooting to get that.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes, for the love of God just skip the single stage.

Biggest waste of time if you plan to actually load in any real volume.

I think that advice as a knee-jerk response to any guy wanting to start reloading needs to die already and we need to start addressing volume, variety of calibers, and other factors first in crafting our responses.

Reloading is just not that hard, and this just adds to the unjustified mystique and perception of difficulty that keeps guys out of reloading.

Recommending a single stage is like telling a teenager to just buy a bicycle when he's shopping for a first car.

/rant
View Quote
Agreed, I learned on a 550, nothing hard about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top