Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2018 7:55:04 AM EDT
I've been thinking about getting a 5.7mm PCC.  Comments and opinions welcome.

Options:
PS90.  Has the 50 round mag, and being a bull pup, is nice and short even with the 16" barrel.  Does the extra length add much velocity compared to an 8 inch barrel?  I could SBR it at at some point to make it even shorter.

CMMG Mk57 pistol - comes with a Shockwave brace, which should be plenty for such a short and light system.  Limited to 20 round FN mags, unless I use the 10 round extension which has both good and bad reviews.  Common AR pattern for ease of use.

AR57 - I'd thought about picking one of their uppers up a few years ago, and should have, as I don't see any offered for sale now.  I have several AR lowers that are SBR'ed, so I could use the short barrel AR57 upper if I could find one, and have a real stock on it.

Thoughts:

With limited availability of the AR57, that's probably out.

PS90 - I've handled one, but not fired one.  They've just never really fired me up.  The longer barrel looks goofy, and I've read that SBRing one isn't the easiest thing (something about a barrel shroud that you have to cut back and then connect to the short barrel, and new barrels are hundreds of bucks.

MK57 - leaning towards this one.  I have plenty of AR time so I'd be comfortable from the start using it.  No Form 1 needed / SBR costs, for a short package.  Would be a slam dunk if FN made 30 round mags for it, but they don't.

Comments?
Thanks,
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a huge, fanatically devoted 5.7x28 fanboi.

What I'd tell you is that its an enthusiasts caliber, not for the casual purchaser.

5.7x28 is a high velocity, low recoil, semi-AP, Pistol Caliber.

You know what that really shines in? Pistols.

The FN Five Seven is the worlds most advanced handgun, and the joy of firing a such a low recoil, flat shooting, and laser accurate handgun makes the $0.36-$0.50 a round worth it.

Out of a carbine, I don't think its worth the money - unless you already have a FN Five Seven, and want a complimentary carbine.

If you don't have a Five Seven, its not worth getting into the hassle of 5.7x28 - there's plenty of 9x19 and 5.56 'PDW' platforms out there that are simpler and cheaper to feed. And the main benefit of 5.7x28 - low recoil, high velocity - is wasted in a carbine because carbines have relatively little recoil already.

5.7x28 is made in batches 1-2x a year. Thats when SS197 can be purchased for $0.36 a round. After that initial batch starts to dry up, prices rise steadily until the next batch.

The result is that your really have to commit to buying 1000-2000rd cases every time you see the price hit $0.36.

And even then, you are left with a pretty meh PCC round. 5.7 is an awesome handgun round, but compared to 5.56, or even some of the 65-90gr +p+ 9x19's from 8" barrels, its much less favorable as a PCC.

That said, of your choices? PS90.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#2]
How about all three.  The cmmg is my newest one and I think I like it the most.  Ar15 Controls and shorter barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice collection.

How does it the MK57 sound with the suppressor on it?  Still oud from the sonic crack or more like a 22 mag?

And where did you get it?  I'm looking for a Cerecock version in bronze or other tac-cool color, but all the ones i've seen on GB are black. CMMG does offer them, but the the base price is 150 bucks higher than GB prices then another 150 for the colored versions.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice collection.

How does it the MK57 sound with the suppressor on it?  Still oud from the sonic crack or more like a 22 mag?

And where did you get it?  I'm looking for a Cerecock version in bronze or other tac-cool color, but all the ones i've seen on GB are black. CMMG does offer them, but the the base price is 150 bucks higher than GB prices then another 150 for the colored versions.
View Quote
The banshee sounds a little better than my suppressed 22 mag with a swr spectre suppressor (maybe due to the larger volume of the 223 can).

I ordered it from Grababun.  Just get on there notification email list when they show up.  They go fast.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#5]
this is the pistol with the sba3 brace. save me one tho.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/816422025312

edit: oops, those are probably black. find the upc for the color you like and plug it in there. if you search mk57 on there i think you will see a few diff colors of the tailhook version.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Get both?

Attachment Attached File

AR57 on top, cut to 7".  PS90 SBR on right will probably get a dedicated Saker-K DT soon.

The middle is a Spikes Glock 9mm build with 4" 9mm barrel.  .300 Blkout is on the bottom. I've also got SBR lowers for the .300 and 5.7.  Guess I ought to SBR the Spikes 9mm and put the Maxim stock on it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Seeing as the P90 came first and the ammo was developed specifically for it I would argue otherwise. The cartridge came about because NATO wanted PDW's to replace pistols. The P90 is nothing more than a modern M1/M2 Carbine.

You know what that really shines in? Pistols.
The performance out of the 10.4" barrel is far better than the pistol

The FN Five Seven is the worlds most advanced handgun
I have one, I really like it, but there is nothing about it that makes it more advanced than any other handgun on the market. It's just a little different

Out of a carbine, I don't think its worth the money - unless you already have a FN Five Seven, and want a complimentary carbine.
Every ammo type is far better performing out of the carbine than it is out of the pistol.

And the main benefit of 5.7x28 - low recoil, high velocity - is wasted in a carbine because carbines have relatively little recoil already
This is the single dumbest thing I have ever seen posted on arfcom, and I've seen my share of straight up ignorant posts. Low recoil is low recoil. It's a trait desirable in any platform, nobody shoots guns and thinks, "Gee, I love this round but I wish that it had more recoil". Are you going to tell me next that putting a suppressor on a .22 is a waste because it's not as loud as other calibers?

As far as the OP is concerned, an SBR PS90 is in my opinion the best balance between ammunition performance, barrel lengths, and over all length. The real downside to the PS90 is the height of the optics over bore.
If overall length is a concern, you could also go with a FiveseveN pistol in a KPOS chassis. You've basically got the same barrel length as the short Banshee pistol with less overall length.

Picture is my PS90, next to a 11.5" AR pistol and MP5 for comparison. If you were to SBR the PS90 then put a suppressor on the end it would be almost identical in length to either or the two.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a PS90 and liked it.

There's no way I'd get a 5.7 that did not take advantage of the top loading 50 round PS90 mags. PS90 or find an AR57 upper.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
If going 5.7mm it's gotta be the FN P90 carbine or FN FiveSeven pistol. Everything else is just pointless and lame. I mean why shoot a more expensive and less powerful 5.7mm round in an AR15? Go 5.56mm for AR's no doubt about it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I would have no problem with my P90 riding shotgun by me...

Attachment Attached File

Ammo is somewhat pricey. But SG Ammo or PSA has sales from time to time. Great PDW!
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If going 5.7mm it's gotta be the FN P90 carbine or FN FiveSeven pistol. Everything else is just pointless and lame. I mean why shoot a more expensive and less powerful 5.7mm round in an AR15? Go 5.56mm for AR's no doubt about it.
View Quote
B/c you could have ammo and mag compatibility w/ your pistol?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:48:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  I have kocked sround the idea of doing at least a one off prototype of a Colt MARS clone in 5.7 as it just seems like it would be fun.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
Sven, indeed, 5.7x28mm is ideal for a MARS replica - but we can get full power AR-15s down to 4 lbs, so what is the point of a MARS PDW today?  The retro folks would go gaga for it, but very few folks would pay for such an astronomical niche clone.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I have just about every 5.7 variant you can buy.  I have a PS90, two FiveSevens (black and FDE), an AR57 pistol with brace, and a MK57 CMMG pistol with brace.  What I love is that I can share magazines between my MK57 and FiveSeven guns, and share magazines between my AR57 and PS90.  All of them are great in their own way, but I really like the AR57 and MK57 best.

If I could only have one, I would get the MK57 as it is VERY short, has an extended charging handle and Tailhook mod 2 brace from the factory, and looks great.  But you can find AR57s on gunbroker every month.  I see them come up for sale pretty regularly in used but like new condition.   I swapped out my pistol brace that my AR57 came with for a PDW retractable brace and it is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  That is exactly why I said a one off prototype, I domt beliebe there is a market for such a thing in the commercial sense, but being that we (Manticore Arms) could make a post sample full auto where the recoil would be vastly more controllable than 5.56x45 it would be fun to habe and shoot and make the retro heads drool ;)

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
CMMG Guard, M1 carbine magblock, call it good?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have just about every 5.7 variant you can buy.  I have a PS90, two FiveSevens (black and FDE), an AR57 pistol with brace, and a MK57 CMMG pistol with brace.  What I love is that I can share magazines between my MK57 and FiveSeven guns, and share magazines between my AR57 and PS90.  All of them are great in their own way, but I really like the AR57 and MK57 best.

If I could only have one, I would get the MK57 as it is VERY short, has an extended charging handle and Tailhook mod 2 brace from the factory, and looks great.  But you can find AR57s on gunbroker every month.  I see them come up for sale pretty regularly in used but like new condition.   I swapped out my pistol brace that my AR57 came with for a PDW retractable brace and it is awesome.
View Quote
Please post a pic of the MK57 with the PDW retractable brace! I have a Fiveseven and love it, however I thought about selling it to buy the MK57 seeing as I never carry the FiveseveN pistol. I do have extra mags and plenty of ammo. My LGS has a MK57 and it's freaking cool, 18.5" long with the stock collapsed, that's seriously short, 10.5" shorter than my 11.5" SBR AR15.

EDIT: I just re-read your post, you put the PDW brace on the AR57.

Will it fit the MK57?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
everyone who has shot both the P90 and MK57 seems to prefer the MK57 as well. seems like the perfect platform for the round. what do you zero yours at?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I mean why shoot a more expensive and less powerful 5.7mm round in an AR15? Go 5.56mm for AR's no doubt about it.
View Quote
if 308 was cheaper than 556 would all of your ARs be 10s?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I myself really like the PS90 as long as one is studying it from the standpoint it was created under and the role it was designed for. CQB weapon for non frontline troops to give better range and power then the pistol. Think todays solution to the M1 Carbine of old.

It’s an excellent cqb weapon that’s got better penetration capabilities than 9mm and half the weight ammo wise. It’s extremely controllable from the PS90 and is very accurate. With the correct ammunition such as 198 it’s also got good ballistics.
Theirs a reason Secret Service replaces the Mp5 with the P90 it’s well suited to that type of role.

Now keep in mind going into the 5.7 ammo is expensive and it’s not something you can by just anywhere. It can’t stack up ballistics wise to something like the 5.56 but it wasn’t meant to.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#22]
its been about .40/per online for the Federal. .43 for FN Hornady Vmax in bulk. but plenty available. hard to find locally for me. but yeah, def not cheap. and with the low recoil of this round, im sure mags empty fast. when i think of binary on a mk57 i can feel my heart beat in my pants.

theres some good rebates now for federal, im pretty sure the 5.7 is included but dont quote me on that:
https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/EN/US/Promo/16/101/EntryForm
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought most of mine for .28 to .30 from PSA.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought most of mine for .28 to .30 from PSA.
View Quote
holy crap. was that a special or normal price? id run up a credit card for that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

holy crap. was that a special or normal price? id run up a credit card for that.
View Quote
Case quantities when it goes on sale.  I also stocked up on XM68GD for .40/rd.  The XM68GD was expensive to ship, so I think it was about .50/rd delivered.  Most of my 5.7 purchases hit their free shipping specials.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/249712/FN_PS90-June_2018__1__jpg-795307.JPG

Ammo is somewhat pricey. But SG Ammo or PSA has sales from time to time. Great PDW!
View Quote
That's badass.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#27]
If you’re getting a 5.7 carbine, do it right and get a PS90 and a stamp.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/249712/FN_PS90-June_2018__1__jpg-795307.JPG

View Quote
I wouldn’t either, they’re great at what they’re designed for, which is holding a lot of easily aimed short-range firepower in a handy package. Plus those 198’s are a metal little round, especially when zipping along around 2300fps from a 10.3” barrel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 3:21:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
The CMMG Guard looks a lot more interesting than the P90.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I kinda agree, however, I would much rather have a "pistol" in my truck instead of a registered SBR. I have NFA items already and just not comfortable leaving them in my truck unattended.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:The CMMG Guard looks a lot more interesting than the P90.
View All Quotes
Quoted:The CMMG Guard looks a lot more interesting than the P90.
Wow, never expected that one! One thing the P90 (and F2000) have going for them is they’re interesting! The Guard more “interesting” than a P90 only to someone who wants to stay with the AR15 type platform.

Quoted:I have NFA items already and just not comfortable leaving them in my truck unattended.
Once one gets enough NFA firearms and some of them are redundant, it’s easier to do so. Keep going!
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:. Wow, never expected that one! One thing the P90 (and F2000) have going for them is they’re interesting! The Guard more “interesting” than a P90 only to someone who wants to stay with the AR15 type platform.
View Quote
No, the Guard is more interesting b/c of at least 3 reasons other than being based on the AR platform:

1 - it is delayed blowback, rather than the straight blowback of the P90;
2 - it can be built as a pistol, rifle, or SBR, giving certain legal advantages in some situations;
3 - it shares magazines with existing pistols, making it an ideal candidate for a personal PCC.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Fair enough. Although, it may be worth mentioning, while not a locked breech, the P90/PS90 barrel moves rearward with the bolt upon firing, opening after chamber pressures have reached a safe level. In addition, with 50 round magazines, magazine changes are needed about half as often and one would need about half as many for the same ammo count. I, for one, couldn’t be happier with my SBR.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fair enough. Although, it may be worth mentioning, while not a locked breech, the P90/PS90 barrel moves rearward with the bolt upon firing, opening after chamber pressures have reached a safe level. In addition, with 50 round magazines, magazine changes are needed about half as often and one would need about half as many for the same ammo count. I, for one, couldn’t be happier with my SBR.
View Quote
Interesting, unlocked short recoil.  That's the same action the Kel-Tec PMR-30 uses, likely for similar reasons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#35]
For me it totally depends on what you actually want. For a shooter I would put a short AR57 upper on a sbr lower. For a nifty gun that’s weird and fun the ps90 fills the bill.

People love arguing back and forth extolling virtues of the different platforms but never mention the biggest downfalls which in my opinion are expensive ammo, limited ammo available which is actually effective outside of boutique stuff, lack of full auto. The P90 is awesome to shoot and with the right ammo is a pretty formidable thing. Semi auto with common ammo not so much.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I have an AR57. It's my TWD gun.

Because of it's design with the long magazine on top it's really not logical to "pistol" it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Out of a SMG the 5.7 is worth it in a larger firearm like the P90. I’d just get a FiveSeven and call it a day.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:49:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Because of it's design with the long magazine on top it's really not logical to "pistol" it.
View Quote
What’s TWD?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What’s TWD?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s TWD?
The Walking Dead, aka the AMC zombie show.

50 rds. magazines of 5.7 would be perfect for dealing with zombies.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Gotcha. Knew I had seen it before but couldn’t place it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  For me it totally depends on what you actually want. For a shooter I would put a short AR57 upper on a sbr lower. For a nifty gun that’s weird and fun the ps90 fills the bill.

People love arguing back and forth extolling virtues of the different platforms but never mention the biggest downfalls which in my opinion are expensive ammo, limited ammo available which is actually effective outside of boutique stuff, lack of full auto. The P90 is awesome to shoot and with the right ammo is a pretty formidable thing. Semi auto with common ammo not so much.
View Quote
I would expect even the cheap stuff to be effective out of the 16" bbls of the PS90, AR57 and CMMG Guard.  Once you drop below 2100 fps out of shorter bbls, I think you start getting iffy.  But if you're going 16", you might as well do an inexpensive AR rifle in 5.56x45mm.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have kocked sround the idea of doing at least a one off prototype of a Colt MARS clone in 5.7 as it just seems like it would be fun.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
That is exactly what I am currently working on. My issue is mags. I am looking into 3d printing currently to make a one off mag for the project. But sadly, I'm a bit over my head when it comes to mag design.

ETA: of course that being said, I'm the same guy who would give his left but for an Mp7 in 5.7. To the point I've started investigating in machine tools to make one. It'll be a one off, and not really an MP7 as It'll have an aluminum receiver. But damn if it won't be a handy little thing.

The only problem 5.7 has is too many people think 5.56 is always a better option. I can think of many cases where less power is going to be better. 5.56 out of a sub 10" barrel has too much unburnt powder and muzzle blast. 5.7 on the other hand, not so much. Sure, if I'm shooting coyotes or ISIS at 300 yards, j want 5.56. But if I have to pop a bad guy inside my house, at like maybe 21 feet.... 5.7 will probably do the job just fine and not blow out my ear drums in the process.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No, the Guard is more interesting b/c of at least 3 reasons other than being based on the AR platform:

1 - it is delayed blowback, rather than the straight blowback of the P90;
2 - it can be built as a pistol, rifle, or SBR, giving certain legal advantages in some situations;
3 - it shares magazines with existing pistols, making it an ideal candidate for a personal PCC.
View Quote
4 - Same manual of arms as an AR15
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#44]
This thing with side folding brace and five7 pistol mags sounds pretty awesome

FightLite MXR
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This thing with side folding brace and five7 pistol mags sounds pretty awesome

FightLite MXR
View Quote
MSRP $799, might be an interesting addition to the collection.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have kocked sround the idea of doing at least a one off prototype of a Colt MARS clone in 5.7 as it just seems like it would be fun.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
SCAMP pistol clone would be even cooler
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top