Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2023 10:04:40 AM EDT
Would you upgrade your scanner or sight first?  I have 384 on both right now and I am happy with them.  However, ID of a species at distance can become challenging.  Would you prefer an upgraded 640 scanner or a the sight?
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 640 scanner, and a 640 scope and a couple of 384 scopes.

A 384 scanner will help spot a heat signature, and you can then look through the 640 scope to better identify what you are looking at.  

Having a 640 scanner will give you better identification at range, but you will have to get closer with a 384 optic for a clean shot.

I was hunting with my son a couple of weeks ago, and could identify hogs via the 640 scanner that he could not even see with his 384 optic.  I looked through his, and could not even identify a heat signature.  Granted, it was 1000 yards + distant.

Depending on what you are hunting and the distances involved, I would lean toward the 640 scanner as an initial upgrade.  I spend a heck of a lot more time scanning than looking through a scope.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bud:
I have a 640 scanner, and a 640 scope and a couple of 384 scopes.

A 384 scanner will help spot a heat signature, and you can then look through the 640 scope to better identify what you are looking at.  

Having a 640 scanner will give you better identification at range, but you will have to get closer with a 384 optic for a clean shot.

I was hunting with my son a couple of weeks ago, and could identify hogs via the 640 scanner that he could not even see with his 384 optic.  I looked through his, and could not even identify a heat signature.  Granted, it was 1000 yards + distant.

Depending on what you are hunting and the distances involved, I would lean toward the 640 scanner as an initial upgrade.  I spend a heck of a lot more time scanning than looking through a scope.
View Quote

Thank you for that! Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 1:04:19 AM EDT
[#3]
It depends on the usage. For coyote hunting for instance, 98% of the time is spent behind the scanner. I prefer the resolution there. However, this again goes towards what it will be used for and the type of terrain. If all other specs are the same, a 640 thermal will have a wider FOV and less base magnification in comparison to a 384. An example of this is a Pulsar XP50 and XQ50. Speaking of coyotes again, this lends itself to having a wider fov and less magnification (640) for the scanner vs the scope. This can be different if hunting larger groups of hogs, etc. Speak to a reputable dealer who can help you through the pros and cons of resolutions, focal length, brands, etc.

I help people everyday sort through this type of stuff. Feel free to send me a PM if you wish to dig into this further.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top