Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2024 4:12:06 PM EDT
Looking to dip my toe into thermal.  The AGM StingIR-640 looks like a pretty interesting option as it can be weapon mounted (up to 5.56), helmet mounted, and be used as a handheld.  It's 640 resolution, relatively inexpensive.  I'm not a pro coyote hunter or anything like that, just looking to add capability.  Anyone have any direct experience, good or bad?  It says they are HQ'd in AZ and also Bulguria?  So at least maybe not china?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
To the best of my knowledge, they use Chinese Iray cores, which are excellent, but yes still Chinese.

They are ultra lightweight and pretty feature rich for the money. I enjoyed my 384 res unit and really don’t have much negative to say about it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I figured some China was in it
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:13:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KC-ROUGHNECK] [#3]
HOP has a pretty decent You-tube review on it. I think his summary was it’s a pretty good do all unit. Spring for the 640 if you plan to use it as a clip on in front of a scope. If the main use is helmet mounted the 384?is good enough.

In for info. This is the unit I’m looking at for my first thermal.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:46:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RRAR15] [#4]
I have one on order that should be here in about a week. I found mine NIB for ~$3200 OTD and for that price, it was $2,300 less than the RH25, which is its only other real competitor. I’m sure the RH25 has better image quality (though from what I hear, the StingIR 640 is about 90% as good as the RH25), and the recoil rating is significantly higher, but I plan on using mine on my subsonic 300BLK, so that didn’t really matter to me.  The price difference to me made it very attractive.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:34:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jd2395] [#5]
Nice!  Please let me know your thoughts once you get it.  I am hoping for something I can easily drop on a gun with RDS or LPVO and sometimes maybe helmet mount or scan with.
would you PM me with details on where you got it?  I'm seeing $3600 or so everywhere.

thanks!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jd2395:
Nice!  Please let me know your thoughts once you get it.  I am hoping for something I can easily drop on a gun with RDS or LPVO and sometimes maybe helmet mount or scan with.
would you PM me with details on where you got it?  I'm seeing $3600 or so everywhere.

thanks!!!
View Quote

PM sent.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Get it yet?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got one from Kenzies optics. $3236 delivered for a 640 with their new customer discount code.
Initial impressions are great. The helmet mount works surprisingly well. The included pic rail adapter/weapon mount puts it at the correct height to align well with several of my optics.
User interface/menu is very simple.
Had it zeroed with my ta31 in about 5 minutes. After taking it off and reinstalling, it returned to zero well enough to be on a 6” plate at 100. Not bad for the thumbscrew mount. I’d like to find something like an ADM QD mount for it at some point.
I think it’s a winner for what I wanna do with it handheld scanner and occasionally rifle mounted. I don’t hunt.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:06:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glck1911] [#9]
Originally Posted By Damon_23:
I just got one from Kenzies optics. $3236 delivered for a 640 with their new customer discount code.
Initial impressions are great. The helmet mount works surprisingly well. The included pic rail adapter/weapon mount puts it at the correct height to align well with several of my optics.
User interface/menu is very simple.
Had it zeroed with my ta31 in about 5 minutes. After taking it off and reinstalling, it returned to zero well enough to be on a 6” plate at 100. Not bad for the thumbscrew mount. I’d like to find something like an ADM QD mount for it at some point.
I think it’s a winner for what I wanna do with it handheld scanner and occasionally rifle mounted. I don’t hunt.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113101/IMG_9653_jpeg-3154806.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113101/IMG_9667_jpeg-3154808.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113101/IMG_9668_jpeg-3154809.JPG
View Quote

Nice. I’ve been thinking about grabbing one of these lately. Outdoor Legacy did an AGM interview during shot show and they teased that American Defense would be making a Flip to Side mount for these.

How did it look through the ACOG at 100 yards?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:07:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Damon_23] [#10]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:

Nice. I’ve been thinking about grabbing one of these lately. Outdoor Legacy did an AGM interview during shot show and they teased that American Defense would be making a Flip to Side mount for these.

How did it look through the ACOG at 100 yards?
View Quote

Here’s a crappy Ipotato pic through it at my 100 yard berm.  Looks a LOT better in person.

ETA. Feral Texas Outdoors has the ADM flip to side mount listed on their website for $300. Unsure I want flip to side, but that could be handy

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jd2395:
Get it yet?
View Quote

Got it Friday evening, and finally got a chance to look through it for the first time last night. I had relatively high expectations for it after watching reviews and hearing people compare it to the RH25 which seems to be pretty much universally liked. I was not disappointed. Only had it outside for about an hour, because it was snowing last night, but I’m very happy with it. Haven’t thrown it on my rifle yet, but hand held was as good as I was expecting. I do wish there was a way to attach a lanyard or something to it though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
sweet, thanks...looking for more feedback on rifle mounting use.  I'm hoping to use with LPVO's mostly...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Damon_23:

ETA. Feral Texas Outdoors has the ADM flip to side mount listed on their website for $300.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113101/IMG_9655_jpeg-3155246.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for notifying us about this QD mount, didn't know it has already been released.
Disappointing that its just a QD flip to side mount, it would have been better if it had a similar pic-rail/dovetail mounting system like the RH25 so you can QD it from the firearm and connect it to a dovetail interface of a helmet mount.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By doge_hound_57:...
Disappointing that its just a QD flip to side mount, it would have been better if it had a similar pic-rail/dovetail mounting system like the RH25 so you can QD it from the firearm and connect it to a dovetail interface of a helmet mount.
View Quote

It should be very easy to design a proper dovetail adapter to use the StingIR in conjunction with a Wilcox FTS mount. I have some designs ready to go, the annoying problem always is that I need the device to properly test the body mounting.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have experience with both the 384 and 640. Should I save a bit longer for the 640?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By doge_hound_57:

Thanks for notifying us about this QD mount, didn't know it has already been released.
View Quote

I am interested in this. If you make mounts and I end up buying one maybe we can work something out if you make me a mount that will put it inline with a unity 2.26 mount.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:14:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: javemtr] [#17]
Originally Posted By farpolemiddle1:
I am interested in this. If you make mounts and I end up buying one maybe we can work something out if you make me a mount that will put it inline with a unity 2.26 mount.
View Quote

If there's enough space to make a dovetail that aligns it in a Wilcox FTS at 1.54", then you are able to align that same setup at 2.26" simply by mounting it on the Picatinny riser that Unity offers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#18]
https://www.agmglobalvision.com/agm-ftsm-stingir-flip-to-side-mount

I think I am going to go with this if I still have to use a riser.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#19]
https://www.agmglobalvision.com/agm-ftsm-stingir-flip-to-side-mount

I think I am going to go with this if I still have to use a riser.
View Quote

I just ordered one.

Goblin Tactical on Instagram bought one a few weeks ago and has been torture testing it. He hasn’t given it the thumbs up yet, but it appears everything has been working well with it so far. He’s already done more to it than I probably will in a few years of use, so I figured it’s a safe bet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RRAR15:

I just ordered one.

Goblin Tactical on Instagram bought one a few weeks ago and has been torture testing it. He hasn’t given it the thumbs up yet, but it appears everything has been working well with it so far. He’s already done more to it than I probably will in a few years of use, so I figured it’s a safe bet.
View Quote

Sweet. Let me know how you like it. My understanding is it is 1.54 so for my unity I will need a .75ish riser.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Sweet. Let me know how you like it. My understanding is it is 1.54 so for my unity I will need a .75ish riser.
View Quote

I asked AGM what the height was and they said it was 1.75” for both the flip mount and the one included in the box. I don’t see how that could possibly be true though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:01:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: deputygadget] [#22]
My convo with AGM about the 380 was the shipped mount was 1.54 should be the same for both.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#23]

I asked AGM what the height was and they said it was 1.75” for both the flip mount and the one included in the box. I don’t see how that could possibly be true though.
View Quote

I don’t think the factory mount height is 1.75. It aligns almost perfectly with a 1.54 Geissele mount. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I agree that my information saying it was a 1.75” height is incorrect. It’s unfortunate that you get a different answer depending on who you ask.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Below is what I got. Judging by how many times this is going to get asked they should put some measurements in the description like grown ups.

Hello,

That mount is designed for scopes mounted at the height of 1.5". You may be able to get away with using the Unity Picatinny Fast Riser base.

Jack Rapala
Sales and Customer Service
American Defense Manufacturing
15885 West Overland Drive
New Berlin WI 53151
[www.admmfg.com]www.admmfg.com
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Below is what I got. Judging by how many times this is going to get asked they should put some measurements in the description like grown ups. This was asking about the flip mount.

Hello,

That mount is designed for scopes mounted at the height of 1.5". You may be able to get away with using the Unity Picatinny Fast Riser base.

Jack Rapala
Sales and Customer Service
American Defense Manufacturing
15885 West Overland Drive
New Berlin WI 53151
[www.admmfg.com]www.admmfg.com
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By doge_hound_57:

View Quote

So I decided to try out a knockoff flip to side mount and knowing how the dovetail mount was not meant for the StingIR's footprint I had to modify it to get it to work, I didn't want to buy an expensive authentic Wilcox one as I didn't want to ruin a perfectly good mount so I decided to try the Sotac special first.
I have a machinist friend to mill out the correct placement for the fasteners to fit into the StingIR's footprint and so far it looks to line up correctly with my ACOG.
I'm planning on going to the range some time soon to zero this setup and see if it will hold up to the recoil.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#28]
So would you get a 384 vice a 640 in this?  Seems to be some intresting conversations about 384 being a sweet spot on such a small thermal, but I normally use Uncle Sams Thermals but retiring this year (then will probably be recalled thanks WW3) but my wife said I should buy a thremal but gave me a budget because we also want to zero out credit cards by June.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By aftac:
So would you get a 384 vice a 640 in this?  Seems to be some intresting conversations about 384 being a sweet spot on such a small thermal, but I normally use Uncle Sams Thermals but retiring this year (then will probably be recalled thanks WW3) but my wife said I should buy a thremal but gave me a budget because we also want to zero out credit cards by June.
View Quote

I don’t see a single reason to go 384 over 640 unless your budget doesn’t allow for 640. The 640 can be had for under $3200 new as some retailers, which is how I was able to swing it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#30]

I don’t see a single reason to go 384 over 640 unless your budget doesn’t allow for 640. The 640 can be had for under $3200 new as some retailers, which is how I was able to swing it.
View Quote

This 100%.  The 384 works, but it doesn't have the wow factor of a 640 core.  For under 3300 for a 640 core I'm about to buy one of these just to have around and save putting some hours on my skeet ir.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I am looking for these $3200 Stinger IR but they seem to be no where.  I can get a 384 with military discount for $2200 before taxes.  (10% sales tax here)
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By aftac:
I am looking for these $3200 Stinger IR but they seem to be no where.  I can get a 384 with military discount for $2200 before taxes.  (10% sales tax here)
View Quote

Not sure if I’m allowed to post the link, but Defense Depot has the 640 for $3173.65 before shipping if you “add to cart for the best price”. They also didn’t charge me sales tax. That’s where I got mine from. They’re a drop shipper, so don’t expect lightning fast shipping, but I got mine without issue.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Has anyone tried this on larger caliber firearms?

I know the rating is "only" 5.56 but i'm curious if the thing will hold up.  Why are there so few clip ons with useful recoil ratings?  Is the market for these really that small?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:04:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aftac] [#34]
Well decided to save $1200 by getting the 384 version. $2200.  Part of the reason is I’m on a budget due to my daughter needing to have help in school.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:
Has anyone tried this on larger caliber firearms?

I know the rating is "only" 5.56 but i'm curious if the thing will hold up.  Why are there so few clip ons with useful recoil ratings?  Is the market for these really that small?
View Quote

I use mine on a 300blk, but yeah that’s not really pushing the limits.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 84bthomas:

I use mine on a 300blk, but yeah that’s not really pushing the limits.
View Quote

Subsonic or supersonic? Subsonic shouldn’t be an issue, supersonic would give me pause.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Both? I didn’t feel either was anymore punishing to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top