Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Posted: 12/3/2020 5:28:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider]
I see that the other thread was archived (I did not participate in it) but I recently bought a pistol from Recon Ordnance and figured I'd get discussion going again. I was turned on to the vz. 61 due to .32 ACP. I picked up a surplus Beretta 81BB this year and fell in love with it as a suppressor host. Low recoil and sounds fantastic. Being a lover of SMGs, PDWs, suppressors, and SBR's the vz. 61 was a natural fit.

As received from Recon Ordnance

With an Isle Mfg optic mount and rear pic rail mount. I'm struggling to decide what to do with this pistol. I plan to SBR it but I'm torn on keeping it traditional looking or modernizing it a bit for full practicality.

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a CSA vz61 a month back, already filed my eform1. I actually bought the stock from Recon, what a flashback to buying things in the 90's. :)

I got the threaded one, and while my silencer fits, it's very tight while thread protectors are fine. It was very fun to shoot, but 32 ammo lead to some sticker shock!

I also bought a holster on ebay and got a little adapter with pic rail to mount a brace before deciding to just SBR it. I want to keep it traditional, but I also want to put a 3 lug on it to ease silencer-ness. If I mount the 3 lug on the threads though, it'll be too long to fit in the holster, so I'm torn. I'd already bought a couple 20 round mags a year back when Numrich had them on sale, but getting a 10 rounder was more expensive than planned also...

What I would really like is some easy way to mount one of those old straps like Mac10's (or m11's, whichever it was) in the 80's had that was a forward pistol grip in effect. Don't see a way to really mount a ring easily though.

All in all, everything about this gun is more expensive than it should be, but it's a lot of fun. People were asking the range officer why someone brought a pellet gun to the range with my SRT Matrix mounted.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Congrats!
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:03:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aksahsalahs] [#3]
I got mine from Jerry @ Recon as well. I went the parts kit/stripped receiver route. Fun build and took all of maybe 30 minutes to complete.

Super fun blaster, always brings a smile to my face. This was pre-F1 approved, its since been approved

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 3:11:01 AM EDT
[#4]
What's it take to build one? I don't know anything about these guns but have been looking at the Czechpoint guns.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 3:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]
No more difficult then a AR lower. There is one rivet for the trigger guard, but it’s super easy. I used a punch and just flattened the rivet.

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aksahsalahs:
I got mine from Jerry @ Recon as well. I went the parts kit/stripped receiver route. Fun build and took all of maybe 30 minutes to complete.

Super fun blaster, always brings a smile to my face. This was pre-F1 approved, its since been approved

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101965/C4C1608C-AD5C-4CA5-A171-F8C3B89C8435-1714100.jpg
View Quote

Nice. I debated getting a kit to build as I enjoy tinkering. It always helps you really learn the ins and outs of the platform. I took mine apart the other day and could not get it back together. I finally realized the upper went "inside" the ears on the receiver and voila!
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Any idea what the "Raw Receiver Castin" on the Recon Ordnance site takes to complete?  I like the idea of a project gun, but I can't really find much that talks about how to finish a raw receiver.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ruzhye:
Any idea what the "Raw Receiver Castin" on the Recon Ordnance site takes to complete?  I like the idea of a project gun, but I can't really find much that talks about how to finish a raw receiver.
View Quote

Give Jerry a call for best info and what is even available. He will admit his website is a few years out of date and pricing is incorrect. He's great to talk to and quite the character.

I've got my first suppressor a Liberty Mystic X that I seldom use these days. It sounded really nice on the vz61 and I think I'm going to dedicate it to it. I've also got a SB Tactical brace on the way that looks like an AK triangle stock that may fit the Skorpion aesthetic.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Give Jerry a call for best info and what is even available. He will admit his website is a few years out of date and pricing is incorrect. He's great to talk to and quite the character.

I've got my first suppressor a Liberty Mystic X that I seldom use these days. It sounded really nice on the vz61 and I think I'm going to dedicate it to it. I've also got a SB Tactical brace on the way that looks like an AK triangle stock that may fit the Skorpion aesthetic.
View Quote

Thanks, I may have to.  I was hoping to get an idea of how much work they would be before calling.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Nice. I debated getting a kit to build as I enjoy tinkering. It always helps you really learn the ins and outs of the platform. I took mine apart the other day and could not get it back together. I finally realized the upper went "inside" the ears on the receiver and voila!
View Quote

Yeah, assembly was a little odd, and also the lock open with safety thing took me a few minutes to figure out why the bolt wouldn't go forward.

I got a pic-rail brace adapter, Here, which is 3d printed plastic. Has a rail on top for a simple red dot, not sure about repeatability or any of that stuff, but it's just a simple thing not a worry. But, part of the appeal is the aesthetic of the vz61 which really needs the factory stock I think.

I was going to buy a kit, but prices are up and the main ones I saw on gunbroker were money order only, so I balked. I can't remember if the rate-reducer actually does anything useful in semi.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

How is the blowback/gas in face with these since they eject out the top does anything make it back to the shooters face?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By deanwormer:

How is the blowback/gas in face with these since they eject out the top does anything make it back to the shooters face?
View Quote

There is a little port pop but it wasn’t bad or any worse than other blowbacks. A 9mm suppressor is great because it’s slightly overbored and not going to have as much back pressure.

Mike Smith who spent 20 years at AAC and is now at Dead Air is who turned me on to .32 suppressed goodness.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Super fun little gun. Like a 1/3 scale carbine.
Anybody have a lead on a wood grip?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NightOwl:

Yeah, assembly was a little odd, and also the lock open with safety thing took me a few minutes to figure out why the bolt wouldn't go forward.

I got a pic-rail brace adapter, Here, which is 3d printed plastic. Has a rail on top for a simple red dot, not sure about repeatability or any of that stuff, but it's just a simple thing not a worry. But, part of the appeal is the aesthetic of the vz61 which really needs the factory stock I think.

I was going to buy a kit, but prices are up and the main ones I saw on gunbroker were money order only, so I balked. I can't remember if the rate-reducer actually does anything useful in semi.
View Quote

The semi receivers don't even have provisions for installing the rate reducer mechanism sadly.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m hoping to have my F1 approved soon
I want a little too rail welded on
9x18 mak

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Some aftermarket accessories to consider. No affiliation with these guys but figured I'd share.

Custom Smith Rear pic/optic mount, extended charging handle (currently unavailable), and telescoping brace (currently unavailable)

Isle Mfg Rear pic mount, extended charging handle, front optic mount with rail, and grip adapter to run Magpul AK grip.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
The Custom Smith is the pic rail I ordered. It shows out of stock, but you can order it. It took like 4-5 days after that to ship. I assume they just print it when needed rather than stocking a bunch.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Some aftermarket accessories to consider. No affiliation with these guys but figured I'd share.

Custom Smith Rear pic/optic mount, extended charging handle (currently unavailable), and telescoping brace (currently unavailable)

Isle Mfg Rear pic mount, extended charging handle, front optic mount with rail, and grip adapter to run Magpul AK grip.

View Quote

The Isle Mfg mount is great, it gives you a nice angle to the stock or brace.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Brooklynite:

View Quote

That’s the one I currently have on mine. The angle is nice but the pic rail seems a little on short side for the Sig folding mechanism.

I’ve got the Custom Smith one on its way to try out with the SB AK style triangle folder brace.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:30:51 AM EDT
[#20]

That’s the one I currently have on mine. The angle is nice but the pic rail seems a little on short side for the Sig folding mechanism.

I’ve got the Custom Smith one on its way to try out with the SB AK style triangle folder brace.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I’m pretty sure he designed it with the SB FS1913 in mind.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

You would be correct! My TF1913 showed up today and is a nice fit.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Got my Eform1 back today, so stocked up. Won't fit in my holster with the stock on, so guess I'll try to sell the holster at some point.

I did order a shoulder holster from Czechpoint, they did have the 10 round magazines in if someone was looking for one. Will give it a try with the 3 lug to see how I like that.

The optic mount pictured above, I assume it attaches to the front sight? It'd be nice to have something that mounted around the barrel shroud to give a rail, but I still mostly want something of a strap that could mount there to use as a forward grip.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Got my Eform1 back today, so stocked up. Won't fit in my holster with the stock on, so guess I'll try to sell the holster at some point.

I did order a shoulder holster from Czechpoint, they did have the 10 round magazines in if someone was looking for one. Will give it a try with the 3 lug to see how I like that.

The optic mount pictured above, I assume it attaches to the front sight? It'd be nice to have something that mounted around the barrel shroud to give a rail, but I still mostly want something of a strap that could mount there to use as a forward grip.

https://i.imgur.com/wpFMr4Ol.jpg?1
View Quote

The stock really pulls it together. Looks great.

The optic mount pinches around the barrel shroud and also wedges into the front sight. It's pretty rock solid when installed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#24]

The stock really pulls it together. Looks great.

The optic mount pinches around the barrel shroud and also wedges into the front sight. It's pretty rock solid when installed.
View Quote

Yeah, but the stock locks closed on the front sight, so I'm curious if you could chop that part off and it'd still hold.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Yeah, but the stock locks closed on the front sight, so I'm curious if you could chop that part off and it'd still hold.
View Quote

I think it would. If it's still a little loose I imagine shimming the ring would help. That's one of the downsides of running an optic on these things is killing the use of the stock. I'll cross that bridge once I SBR.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/93097/20200628_205541-1481514.jpg

I 3D printed my receiver. It's an AR FCG hybrid design.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvbuo24BWEg
View Quote

That is BAD ASS.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

You need to trade both of those guys photography services for free product
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

$10 charging handle vs $40 charging handle...
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

$10 charging handle vs $40 charging handle...
View Quote

It is aluminum vs. 3D printed polymer and a niche product but I get the point. I went with the $10 one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#33]
SBR & suppress :)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Clean! I've got a few 9mm cans including an Octane that I need to dial in and find one to dedicate to the vz61.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I have one of the earlier Czech point guns without the holes pre-drilled for the stock adapter. I don't have quite enough skill to do it myself, anyone know of a smith who might be willing to do the work?
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Mrf2:
I have one of the earlier Czech point guns without the holes pre-drilled for the stock adapter. I don't have quite enough skill to do it myself, anyone know of a smith who might be willing to do the work?
View Quote

@Mrf2

Any decent competent gunsmith should be able to do it.

Buy the stock, so the Smith has all the stuff to do it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Got my 3 lug in, everything lines up well. No picture since it was late, but looks very nice with my CGS Kraken.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#38]
One of my boys shooting the SBR...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#39]
That's about the size you have to be to make the factory folding stock work too!  But it's so cool hitting the bottom of it and having it flip open into the ready, it more than makes up for it.

The VZ is a fun gun - I have one in .380, and it supresses very well.  I have a Shockwave Blade brace on mine, and it's a handy and accurate little gun.  20 rounds of accurate .380 fire is more than I'd want to go up against.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 1stID:
That's about the size you have to be to make the factory folding stock work too!  But it's so cool hitting the bottom of it and having it flip open into the ready, it more than makes up for it.

The VZ is a fun gun - I have one in .380, and it supresses very well.  I have a Shockwave Blade brace on mine, and it's a handy and accurate little gun.  20 rounds of accurate .380 fire is more than I'd want to go up against.
View Quote

I probably should have gotten a 9mak or 380, but I wanted the classic 32 for some reason. I did pick up one of the surplus Beretta 81's and had a Seecamp (which of course won't use any of the ammo the vz61 uses anyway...), but it's not like it's a defensive gun in either case.

Which is why the factory stock is so essential. It's just neat and there's really no purpose to this expensive thing other than that. :)
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#41]

I probably should have gotten a 9mak or 380, but I wanted the classic 32 for some reason. I did pick up one of the surplus Beretta 81's and had a Seecamp (which of course won't use any of the ammo the vz61 uses anyway...), but it's not like it's a defensive gun in either case.

Which is why the factory stock is so essential. It's just neat and there's really no purpose to this expensive thing other than that. :)
View Quote

.32 is what sold me on the platform. It’s such a great round to suppress.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#42]

.32 is what sold me on the platform. It’s such a great round to suppress.
View Quote

I got my gun in 2011.  I would have gone 32 ACP either way but I don’t think other calibers were available at the time. Unfortunately the barrel on mine didn’t come threaded and I haven’t checked into what it takes to get a threaded barrel upper and swap it out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 3:04:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NightOwl] [#43]

Shot it today, lots of fun as usual (until I add up the cost of 100 rounds of 32...). 3 lug worked fine, CGS Kraken. I brought an AAC flash hider for the 3 lug also to see if it even had an effect, but totally forgot it. I doubt it'd do anything.

I always liked the vz58, so eventually got another of those after selling my other one years ago. Then ATLMike was talking about the 32acp for suppressing and so I started looking at the vz61 too. So eventually, I gave in when an in-stock notice popped up and I bought one. No regrets at the moment, though like the vz58 it's a lot more money than usefulness.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#44]
https://i.imgur.com/N2uxixJl.jpg

Shot it today, lots of fun as usual (until I add up the cost of 100 rounds of 32...). 3 lug worked fine, CGS Kraken. I brought an AAC flash hider for the 3 lug also to see if it even had an effect, but totally forgot it. I doubt it'd do anything.

I always liked the vz58, so eventually got another of those after selling my other one years ago. Then ATLMike was talking about the 32acp for suppressing and so I started looking at the vz61 too. So eventually, I gave in when an in-stock notice popped up and I bought one. No regrets at the moment, though like the vz58 it's a lot more money than usefulness.
View Quote

Mike turned me onto .32 as well. The surplus Beretta 81BB was my first one and it's been a home run. The vz61 was a natural progression as I like SMG/PDWs and suppressors. .32 is at least better than 9mm right now from what I've seen!
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Mike turned me onto .32 as well. The surplus Beretta 81BB was my first one and it's been a home run. The vz61 was a natural progression as I like SMG/PDWs and suppressors. .32 is at least better than 9mm right now from what I've seen!
View Quote

Yeah, I got the Beretta 81, waited a year for Allegheny barrels, then just had the barrel threaded by ECCO. It's fun to shoot, but even though I'm used to shooting "through" the silencer, the non-sights on the 81 are just worthless for it. I mean to try painting them maybe, but doubt that'll do much for it.

Mike has cost me a lot of money though, I should send him a bill.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/93097/20200628_205541-1481514.jpg

I 3D printed my receiver. It's an AR FCG hybrid design.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvbuo24BWEg
View Quote

That's badass!
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#47]

https://i.imgur.com/At7ZG1k.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0ZSlZw4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eBEw7aF.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/At7ZG1k.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0ZSlZw4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eBEw7aF.jpg

Undeniably practical (for a brace, anyway) but I can't help but think of this;

Though, the gun is so small even the little MP5k telescoping nubbin stocks would probably look huge on it
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Well thanks to this thread I have finally found a brace setup that I like. I had seen the AR buffer tube style and just hated the way they looked plus it doubled the length.
Picked up an Isle Mfg pic rail and an SB 1913 brace.  I have an older model without the holes drilled so I did have to do that. Went smootly but figuring out how to get it clamped properly took a little mind work. Also added the extended charging handle to the right side.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ScottXD:
Well thanks to this thread I have finally found a brace setup that I like. I had seen the AR buffer tube style and just hated the way they looked plus it doubled the length.
Picked up an Isle Mfg pic rail and an SB 1913 brace.  I have an older model without the holes drilled so I did have to do that. Went smootly but figuring out how to get it clamped properly took a little mind work. Also added the extended charging handle to the right side.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/270692/20210104_200249_jpg-1764440.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/270692/20210104_200308_jpg-1764441.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/270692/20210104_200328_jpg-1764442.JPG
View Quote

Looks great. Arfcom is both the best (and worst) place for showing you stuff you did(n't) want.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I forget which company made it but somebody made a block that bolts to the back where the stock would attach that has a rail on the top for mounting an optic and then a rail on the back for mounting a stock.  I have to go look up which company that was but it said on their website it was discontinued, but it would be nice if somebody made one again or could 3-D print one. The ability to have an RMR or other type a red dot mounted at the back of the receiver would be ideal
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top