Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2023 6:38:12 PM EDT
I browsed through the KAC website today and looked at the complete uppers offerings. The photo now shows this with a regular three prong flash hider on it vs. the brake and the barrel isn't showing the ball mill dimpling... The shape of things to come?

There is no description so who knows but I am sure that these changes would be cheaper and easier to lower the cost of manufacture w/o really affecting accuracy or service life. Anyone have any insight if this will be representative of the next batch of uppers?

I have been waiting a little bit for this item...
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If ball dimpling is slowing things down it’s not a good sign for the ks-1 rifles.

Hopefully just an incorrect picture.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PresampleDepot:
That's just an out dated photo.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Jack
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#5]
@Jack_L any suggestions on some readily available 6.5 ammo that these things tend to like?  Just got the invoice today.  

I have some Winchester 140 match and Hornady American gunner 140 that I picked up cheap a while ago.  My RPR liked them well enough that I never snagged any “better” stuff.

Any hints on where to start?
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
@Jack_L any suggestions on some readily available 6.5 ammo that these things tend to like?  Just got the invoice today.  

I have some Winchester 140 match and Hornady American gunner 140 that I picked up cheap a while ago.  My RPR liked them well enough that I never snagged any “better” stuff.

View Quote

Obviously not Jack, but I do recall him saying the 140 Bergers shot great in the previous 6.5CM thread (guess it archived?).

Wonder how the FGMM loading of the 140 Berger shoots in comparison.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MK3110:

Obviously not Jack, but I do recall him saying the 140 Bergers shot great in the previous 6.5CM thread (guess it archived?).

Wonder how the FGMM loading of the 140 Berger shoots in comparison.
View Quote

Yeah, honestly I was hoping to find something that does well that is sub 2 per round but hey it is what it is.  Maybe I’ll get lucky with what I have.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't have a ton of rounds through my 22" upper yet, but the 140gr Berger hybrid bullets have been great. Both the Berger cartridge and the FGMM cartridge have cycled reliably and been consistently sub-MOA. It was pretty hard to find the Berger cartridges for a while, but now the FGMM cartridge seems to be readily available.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jakjakman:
I don't have a ton of rounds through my 22" upper yet, but the 140gr Berger hybrid bullets have been great. Both the Berger cartridge and the FGMM cartridge have cycled reliably and been consistently sub-MOA. It was pretty hard to find the Berger cartridges for a while, but now the FGMM cartridge seems to be readily available.
View Quote

Sounds good, I think I found a place for the FGMM thats a little less.

Did any of you guys do any barrel break in for yours or just go shoot the thing?
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Did any of you guys do any barrel break in for yours or just go shoot the thing?
View Quote

I routinely see the FGMM for around $1.50/round. Haven’t come across the Berger loaded cartridge for under $2.00/round.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:13:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#11]

I routinely see the FGMM for around $1.50/round. Haven’t come across the Berger loaded cartridge for under $2.00/round.
View Quote

Yeah, I found a place that sells 200 round cases for 339.  Not great, not terrible.  Its the 130 grain berger FGMM.  Not sure if theres a certain weight I should be looking for.

After doing some more looking, I found some place selling 140 berger FGMM for under 1.50 a round.

If anyone can suggest which FGMM is preferred for this upper, Ill order some up!  I can find the 130, 140 SMK and 140 Berger.  The 140's are cheaper from the vendors I found.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

There was a thread a while back about this. I think I recall Jack saying it can’t hurt anything. Long as you don’t go crazy obviously. I really feel it comes down to personal preference though, as I doubt you’re going to find anything universally agreed upon. I picked up a .308 CC a few days ago and just gave it a real light cleaning, and put 100 rounds down range. Then cleaned lightly when I got home again. Dang thing was shooting little ragged holes with PMC. Blew me away.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AndysAR15name:

There was a thread a while back about this. I think I recall Jack saying it can’t hurt anything. Long as you don’t go crazy obviously. I really feel it comes down to personal preference though, as I doubt you’re going to find anything universally agreed upon. I picked up a .308 CC a few days ago and just gave it a real light cleaning, and put 100 rounds down range. Then cleaned lightly when I got home again. Dang thing was shooting little ragged holes with PMC. Blew me away.
View Quote

Yeah, I will probably shoot a few rounds and see how much copper I pull. I still have no idea which way I go, but I've always done a few shoot clean cycles on stainless barrels.  I've never had one that wasn't a shooter.

Of course, this probably has nothing to do with the break in, but thats all I can say from my limited stainless experience, in that I have no f'in clue.

Just excited to be back in the SR25 game.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 1:30:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AndysAR15name] [#14]

Yeah, I will probably shoot a few rounds and see how much copper I pull. I still have no idea which way I go, but I've always done a few shoot clean cycles on stainless barrels.  I've never had one that wasn't a shooter.

Of course, this probably has nothing to do with the break in, but thats all I can say from my limited stainless experience, in that I have no f'in clue.

Just excited to be back in the SR25 game.
View Quote

Yeah I think when you drop this much on an upper, it makes sense to take your time to follow the method that’s worked for you in the past. One other thing of note, they did an excellent job with the gassing on mine. I detest over-gassed rifles, and it is truly gassed to run suppressed, which I am thankful for after this long of a wait. It handles like a small frame. And ran like a watch with a Sandman and stock KAC buffer/spring.  So my hats off to KAC.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone at all with any ammo suggestions?  At this point I may just order the FGMM 140 berger.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PresampleDepot:
140 grain Bergers in both the 22" and 14.5" are some of the best factory ammo you can use imo.
View Quote

Roger that.  400 rounds on the way.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bleaman225] [#18]
Generally speaking the Berger 140gr Hybrid bullet is terrific.
The loading itself can vary in a bunch of ways that can cause differing end results.

I’ve never shot 140 Berger FGMM.
I had bad experiences with inconsistent velocity in 130 gr FGMM.

All of the Berger 140 Hybrid Target factory ammo I’ve shot has been stellar.
Berger 144 LRHT has also shot very well.

I have 1,000 rounds of XM1200 that I’m about to see whether it sucks or not.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By bleaman225:
Generally speaking the Berger 140gr Hybrid bullet is terrific.
The loading itself can vary in a bunch of ways that can cause differing end results.

I’ve never shot 140 Berger FGMM.
I had bad experiences with inconsistent velocity in 130 gr FGMM.

All of the Berger 140 Hybrid Target factory ammo I’ve shot has been stellar.
Berger 144 LRHT has also shot very well.

I have 1,000 rounds of XM1200 that I’m about to see whether it sucks or not.
View Quote

Is the XM1200 the 147 TAP load?
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 12:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SniperZC13] [#20]
Maybe not the cool kid stuff, but I have used the Freedom munitions 140 in some of my 6.5 gas stuff. No issues to report. It shoots as well as I do and it's running 1.10 a round. The Berger is mo betta, but for plinking, $.90 a round savings is a plus in my book.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Is the XM1200 the 147 TAP load?
View Quote

@MK3110 it’s 140gr Berger
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I have had very good results with the 140gr AR Hybrid loaded by Berger.
Buddy of mine has made a 135gr A-Tip load that is simply spectacular in my rifles.
I actually had pretty good performance with the Hornady American gunner stuff, but the last time I really shot that was about 3 years ago.
The Hornady black was surprisingly good.
I didn't have much luck with the Federal loaded ammo, but the last time I shot that was about 3 years ago as well, they very well could have improved on what I was seeing.
Winchester has been ok, but not as good as Berger.

Break-in:
I have gotten the longest barrel life with the following break-in and cleaning regimen with the 416R 6.5s:
Shoot 1 and clean to bare steel. Repeat for 20 rounds or so, watching for how quickly the bore cleans, groups, and MV if you can.
Shoot 5 and clean to bare steel, repeat 5 times, watching for the same things if possible. By the final group minimal carbon fouling should be evident after the first patch or two, group centers will stabilize, and muzzle velocities should be more consistent.
Shoot 10 and clean to bare steel, for 5-10 groups. By the final group, minimal carbon fouling should be evident after the first patch or two, group centers will stabilize, and muzzle velocity should be consistent across multiple groups. Watch groups and note deviation of the first few rounds from the group center. If after 10 groups, a “flier” (one or more shots that land more than 1 MOA outside of the group center) is consistently apparent in the last 3 groups, go back to Step 1 and repeat the process.

Sorry for the way late response to this, just saw that this tab was open and unsubmitted.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Jack_L:

I have had very good results with the 140gr AR Hybrid loaded by Berger.
Buddy of mine has made a 135gr A-Tip load that is simply spectacular in my rifles.
I actually had pretty good performance with the Hornady American gunner stuff, but the last time I really shot that was about 3 years ago.
The Hornady black was surprisingly good.
I didn't have much luck with the Federal loaded ammo, but the last time I shot that was about 3 years ago as well, they very well could have improved on what I was seeing.
Winchester has been ok, but not as good as Berger.

Break-in:
I have gotten the longest barrel life with the following break-in and cleaning regimen with the 416R 6.5s:
Shoot 1 and clean to bare steel. Repeat for 20 rounds or so, watching for how quickly the bore cleans, groups, and MV if you can.
Shoot 5 and clean to bare steel, repeat 5 times, watching for the same things if possible. By the final group minimal carbon fouling should be evident after the first patch or two, group centers will stabilize, and muzzle velocities should be more consistent.
Shoot 10 and clean to bare steel, for 5-10 groups. By the final group, minimal carbon fouling should be evident after the first patch or two, group centers will stabilize, and muzzle velocity should be consistent across multiple groups. Watch groups and note deviation of the first few rounds from the group center. If after 10 groups, a “flier” (one or more shots that land more than 1 MOA outside of the group center) is consistently apparent in the last 3 groups, go back to Step 1 and repeat the process.

Sorry for the way late response to this, just saw that this tab was open and unsubmitted.
View Quote

Awesome thank you sir. Can’t wait to get this thing out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#24]
PSD sent me an e-mail they were in stock this AM...

gone in seconds...
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By heron163:
PSD sent me an e-mail they were in stock this AM...

gone in seconds...
View Quote

22" Uppers were in stock?  Or another length?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#26]
22" uppers
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#27]
They had some Friday around 5pm eastern, gone when I checked ~10-15 minutes later.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Embittered:
They had some Friday around 5pm eastern, gone when I checked ~10-15 minutes later.
View Quote

Surprised I didn't get the mass e-mail as I'm signed up for their e-mail blast.  Either way, 22" isn't what I'm after...if it was a 14.5" 6.5, I might have cried.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#29]
For fucks sake how much Rocksett does KAC douse these with at assembly time 😂
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

All of it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

It's how we let you know to not take them off.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Breaking in barrels is dumb
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#33]
this tbh
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Outstanding. Very well done.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 12:39:41 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Keep talking like that and I’ll rethread this bitch something useful like 5/8x24
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Keep talking like that and I’ll rethread this bitch something useful like 5/8x24
View Quote

Left-hand
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 8:46:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DustyHeaters] [#38]
Jack,

I wanted to take the time to thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.  I followed your break-in procedure to a T and had to split things up over the course of a couple days as cleaning to bare steel is tedious!  However, 500 rounds later, I couldn’t be happier with the result.

I am on the ‘through’ side of the cleaning schedule scale; opting to clean the bore to a mirror shine, decopper, and remove carbon ring(s) after each shoot - validating with a bore scope.  Post break in, effort/time is halved to achieve that result… Which amounts to a 6-10 patches and two rounds of brushing - it takes about 10 minutes.

I tried to get my hands on the Berger 140’s that you mentioned but so far they’ve alluded me.  I did however find some 130’s and the result is below:

I’m still in the ammo testing phase and thus far I’ve run the following at 100yd from a bench (bipod & rear bag):

• FGMM 140gr SMK
• FGMM 140gr Berger
• Hornady 140gr ELD Match
• Hornady 143gr ELD-X
• Berger 130gr
• Berger 135gr

All of them have yielded pretty consistent .5-.75moa, but the Berger 130’s were markedly tighter in aggregate.

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DustyHeaters:
Jack,

I wanted to take the time to thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.  I followed your break-in procedure to a T and had to split things up over the course of a couple days as cleaning to bare steel is tedious!  However, 500 rounds later, I couldn’t be happier with the result.

I am on the ‘through’ side of the cleaning schedule scale; opting to clean the bore to a mirror shine, decopper, and remove carbon ring(s) after each shoot - validating with a bore scope.  Post break in, effort/time is halved to achieve that result… Which amounts to a 6-10 patches and two rounds of brushing - it takes about 10 minutes.

I tried to get my hands on the Berger 140’s that you mentioned but so far they’ve alluded me.  I did however find some 130’s and the result is below:

https://imgur.com/a/NUwMIuA

I’m still in the ammo testing phase and thus far I’ve run the following at 100yd from a bench (bipod & rear bag):

• FGMM 140gr SMK
• FGMM 140gr Berger
• Hornady 143gr ELD-X
• Berger 130gr
• Berger 135gr

All of them have yielded pretty consistent .5-.75moa, but the Berger 130’s were markedly tighter in aggregate.

View Quote

Fuck me sideways, you're right about this.  Im not even half way through my break in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#40]
@DustyHeaters can clean a gun. I’ve seen it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:28:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack_L] [#41]
Originally Posted By DustyHeaters:
Jack,

https://imgur.com/a/NUwMIuA

• FGMM 140gr SMK
• FGMM 140gr Berger
• Hornady 143gr ELD-X
• Berger 130gr
• Berger 135gr

View Quote

Good shooting dude!
Putting in the work at the beginning makes things better over the long run.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Just curious if anyone was able to pick up any info at SHOT, rumors or otherwise, abut release plans for the 14.5" 6.5CM uppers this year.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jakjakman:
Just curious if anyone was able to pick up any info at SHOT, rumors or otherwise, abut release plans for the 14.5" 6.5CM uppers this year.
View Quote

Could have sworn I heard "Spring" this year, but I could be wrong.

The real challenge is going to be finding one in stock anywhere before they're completely sold out in 30 seconds and 75% of them are resold on gunbroker for a 50% markup.

I just hope they're going to be made on a consistent basis so that price gouging scalping BS doesn't last forever.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Berger 140g Hybrid has been excellent in my 14.5”
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top