Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2018 10:08:32 PM EDT
I put an RMR dual illuminated on my Scorpion.  The irons just seem to get in the way so I took them off.  The RMR seems tough enough that I think that it's going to be working when I need it.  I know anything can fail, but i suppose the RMR and ACOGs have to meet some level of reliability to me used in the military?

Are BUIS really all that necessary for HD use with an optic of this level?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I think in some cases BUIS are an unnecessary distraction.  You end up dividing your time at the range between BUIS and red dot for zeroing and practice.  Also if you are cost sensitive BUIS may not be a priority.  If it's a good brand like Aimpoint or Trijicon I would have BUIS if you can but I wouldn't let it bother you if you don't.  If it's a brand with questionable reliability then go with fixed BUIS.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Next time you shoot take all your sights off and spend some time finding the natural sight line of your gun. I bet you'll be surprised how well you do, particularly closer in. We get kind of wrapped up in sights and optics for a good reason but losing all your sighting options is possible and shouldn't mean the end of the gunfight. It also helps to consider that you could be injured and can't see your sights clearly even if they're still functional.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Next time you shoot take all your sights off and spend some time finding the natural sight line of your gun. I bet you'll be surprised how well you do, particularly closer in. We get kind of wrapped up in sights and optics for a good reason but losing all your sighting options is possible and shouldn't mean the end of the gunfight. It also helps to consider that you could be injured and can't see your sights clearly even if they're still functional.
View Quote
I did this with a boresight laser, it really did help.  It was one of the reasons I used to justify in my mind ditching the irons.  Thanks for the confirmation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think your going to get ied'd in your house.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#5]
They're tough, that's for sure.

Just don't get caught in the rain or you're fucked and will have to ditch it and use buis or point shoot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The RMR is waterproof to 66 ft. I've had my two out in the rain worked just fine.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you have tritium BUIS?  Because you mentioned using it for HD...what happens at night when you cannot see anything if you had to use BUIS?  Or do you have a light on Scorpion as well?

BUIS adds weight and cost.  I know I cannot afford BUIS on every one of my firearms in addition to optics.  It's about picking and choosing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The RMR is waterproof to 66 ft. I've had my two out in the rain worked just fine.
View Quote
Yes, waterproof, as in does not break. Hell, it's probably good to over 100 feet.

However, the two that I have and the ones that I've seen, don't work when wet. As soon as water gets caught in the image projector? the reticle gets completely scattered or just disappears (disappearing is more from dirt).

These are RMR05's fwiw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top