Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 10:41:38 PM EDT
Took these from reddit... brutal

Tried to pick the main ones for the lazy people... the rest (like 75) are here https://imgur.com/a/poo7O
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The Office- Michael Scott No God No
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn!!! I'll take a few of those 60's !!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I must be a fool, but I always truly suffered when I saw mistreated historical firearms.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
This may be the most upsetting thing I’ve ever seen on this wonderful site.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This may be the most upsetting thing I've ever seen on this wonderful site.
View Quote
^^^ This.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]
A little pb blaster followed up with some clp and they would have been fine.

Seriously though, what a waste. Even as a demilled wall hanger they could have been something better than melted down.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Those pictures were taken in 1990 at the arms dump outside of old Saigon, everything in those pics was condemned to the smelters shortly there after. It's all gone now.
View Quote
weren't they in a warehouse that burned down?
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Call the time machine and Turnbulls Restorations!
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I must be a fool, but I always truly suffered when I saw mistreated historical firearms.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those pictures were taken in 1990 at the arms dump outside of old Saigon, everything in those pics was condemned to the smelters shortly there after. It's all gone now.
That would make sense.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
should have seen the piles of weapons in Iraq in '03...I had to leave the area...or I would have lost it and cried....
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#13]
We threw captured weapons in mass graves in south America,  You may cry at those pictures, but I can't imagine how many weapons are in massive holes all over the world or at the bottom of lakes and oceans.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We threw captured weapons in mass graves in south America,  You may cry at those pictures, but I can't imagine how many weapons are in massive holes all over the world or at the bottom of lakes and oceans.
View Quote
If I'm not mistaken there are several ocean sites you can even dive with entire tanks / jets /etc dumped after WW2
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken there are several ocean sites you can even dive with entire tanks / jets /etc dumped after WW2
View Quote
I would be interested in diving off Vietnam, some of the shit thrown overboard was amazing at the end of our involvement, We left Nam in 75 and I went in the service in 79, so I got the opportunity to serve with a lot of the lifers and some of the stories they told were amazing, if half of those were true...holy crap.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#17]
My lord if those were all transferable there would be billions of dollars there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Damn!!! I'll take a few of those 60's !!!!
View Quote
Same. I carried a pig for about 4.5 years. Of all the weapons I carried while I was in, it is the only serial number that I can still recite. The only time she ever failed me, was when I let someone else clean her and he put the bolt together wrong.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#19]
There was an article many years ago in Soldier of Fortune that showed a lot of weapons still in decent shape as well as a lot of items like this. There were sealed containers of truck and Huey parts that were serviceable and worth a good bit of money here, but not legal to bring in the US
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I have to believe that these were damaged in some sort of fire or something, then stacked outside for processing and reclamation.

I can't imagine any entity throw that much money way when it can be used or sold.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 2:57:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I’m not saying that there wasn’t a fire, but I sure do see a lot of intact wood stocks and plastic handguards on those weapons. Those parts wouldn’t have survived a fire serious enough to damage the metal parts. Maybe their shoddy “warehouse” quickly burned down, and the mostly undamaged weapons were just left to the elements.

I suspect that Vietnam was awash in weapons by the mid/late 1970’s, and “obsolete”, worn, or battle-damaged weapons were not re-sellable, or worth the effort to sell off anyway. Maybe the individuals who had control over these weapons had “bigger fish to fry”, or they were just too lazy to do anything other than leave the guns to rot.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can't imagine any entity throw that much money way when it can be used or sold.
View Quote
Good morning Rip Van Winkle. Welcome to the 21st Century, where emotion overrides any semblance of common sense. This is the time when places like NYC would rather spend thousands of dollars contracting bulldozers and pay them to drive over a bunch of seized motorcycles and ATVs, and making a giant spectacle out of the entire thing, than to put them up for auction to help pay for the work it takes to seizing those prohibited toys in the first place. https://nypost.com/2016/05/17/nypd-crushes-illegal-dirt-bikes-as-a-message-to-knuckleheads/

Do you really think military weapons are going to get treated better? Especially in a Communist led country like Viet Nam?
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wood and plastic looked unaffected by heat or flame.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#24]
It is hard to imagine That Vietnam had much of a economy back in 75 when we left . You would have thought they would have sold off a lot of that stuff for the cash.

On the other hand I suppose things were not very organized at that time either and finding a foreign buyer and arraigning transportation  would envolve some work
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top