BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 120
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jupiter7:

Chris(DM) sells a sweet little Ti VSR already coned and a direct fit to that tube. I have the same set up waiting for the stamp to start drilling. I changed the thread adapter to 1/2x28 Ti though. Wanted durability over weight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tucansam:
What plugs/VSRs/etc are you guys using for tubes with 1" ID?  I need to build a 22LR can to fit inside a rail with a 1.25" ID, and am looking at the DM tube that is 1.125" OD/1.0" ID.  Not sure what to use for a stack.

Chris(DM) sells a sweet little Ti VSR already coned and a direct fit to that tube. I have the same set up waiting for the stamp to start drilling. I changed the thread adapter to 1/2x28 Ti though. Wanted durability over weight.

That sounds perfect.... I don't see the VSR on his site.  Are not all his products listed?
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]

That sounds perfect.... I don't see the VSR on his site.  Are not all his products listed?
View All Quotes
What plugs/VSRs/etc are you guys using for tubes with 1" ID?  I need to build a 22LR can to fit inside a rail with a 1.25" ID, and am looking at the DM tube that is 1.125" OD/1.0" ID.  Not sure what to use for a stack.

No.  Either do a custom order or put a comment in the notes when you're checking out with what you want.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  Can titanium be soaked in "the dip?"  My SS Quest is soaking as we speak, and its my preferred method for cleaning my 22LR cans, so alum is out of the question.  Hoping Ti will work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys I know there has been a lot discussed on this thread but have some questions
Has anyone made a form one for a ar chambered in 7.62x39 yet
I have a syrac piston driven 10.5 ar that I have a sd tactical muzzle break on
Just looking for some info if anyone else has done a similar form one can for this purpose and how you did it
Was thinking 8 inches in oal just seen a few short 6 inch cans in short barrels and seems like there is a flame coming out still
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By topgun882006:
Hey guys I know there has been a lot discussed on this thread but have some questions
Just looking for some info if anyone else has done a similar form one can for this purpose and how you did it
Was thinking 8 inches in oal just seen a few short 6 inch cans in short barrels and seems like there is a flame coming out still
Thanks guys
View Quote

I plan to use my 7.6" sdta on a 12.5" AR in 762x39
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't find out what page this was mentioned on, but any feedback on these?

Link (amazon)

Is the FP still the best way to go for a 556 lightweight can?
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]
What suppressor sights are tall enough to see over D tube suppressors?  For an M&P 9c..
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By stre-tch:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81EcJsdZBJL._SL1500_.jpg

Link (amazon)

View Quote

Those cups are Aluminum and will wear really quick, even quicker than the rolled steel freeze plugs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kylo:
What suppressor sights are tall enough to see over D tube suppressors?  For an M&P 9c..
View Quote

I don't think even suppressor sights would clear a 1.5" tube, they are generally made for 1.375" tubes.  Red dot optic maybe.  I'd use the 1.375" Ti tube for a pistol build.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 8:27:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stre-tch] [#10]
Originally Posted By c5hardtop:

Those cups are Aluminum and will wear really quick, even quicker than the rolled steel freeze plugs.
View All Quotes

Link (amazon)

Sorry here is the link for SS link

No weight is given so I assume it will make it pretty heavy
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Link (amazon)

Down in the questions section you'll find that they are 1.88 ounces each and you are only getting ONE for $40.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 3:03:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

View All Quotes
Thanks guys

Let me know how it turns out any info on how your gonna do it
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#13]
So does anyone with both end-caps in Aluminum have any kind of AAR or round counts for centerfire rifles?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Mattyvac:

So does anyone with both end-caps in Aluminum have any kind of AAR or round counts for centerfire rifles?
View Quote
After my confusion in my earlier posts a page ago, I did confirm that the endcap and muzzle device mount on my titanium rifle tubes are aluminum.

Approximately 400-500ish rounds, no issues. Slight erosion visible on the inside of the endcap, but no more than what was visible on the freeze plug baffles.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jafrush:
After my confusion in my earlier posts a page ago, I did confirm that the endcap and muzzle device mount on my titanium rifle tubes are aluminum.    

Approximately 400-500ish rounds, no issues. Slight erosion visible on the inside of the endcap, but no more than what was visible on the freeze plug baffles.
View All Quotes

And what calibers/barrel length?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

5.56, 10.5", 12", and 16" barrels, but probably 90% of the rounds were through the 10.5".  

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Aluminum end cap blew off on 3rd shot 300blk 8.5" the only one I have seen personally tested.  Baffles where 8-45yds down range..
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Aluminum end cap blew off on 3rd shot 300blk 8.5" the only one I have seen personally tested.  Baffles where 8-45yds down range..
View All Quotes

So not advisable on a 14.5" 762x51, huh?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 5:02:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jafrush] [#19]

View All Quotes

Like I've been saying, unless I'm seriously mistaken, the cap and muzzle device adapter I got more than a year ago from SD are both aluminum, and have been fine.

They're non-magnetic, lighter than stainless, and anodized. Definitely not titanium, because that wasn't an option back then (and they weren't that expensive).

ETA: maybe because its 5.56 its been ok, and the larger calibers are where the issues show up. Dunno.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Aluminum end caps on SD's 8'' titanium tube with 11 FP baffles on a 7" 5.56 doing a 60 round mag dump. End caps showed no damage besides turning purple.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Your aluminum end caps turned purple? Are you sure they are not made from titanium?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Any examples of a 458 Socom or 50 Beowulf in budget home build land?  If so, what tube, baffle and end cap combo did you go with?

Wes
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
Thanks guys

Ive got a Form1 7.62x39 10.5" SBR and an 8" SDTA/Apogee Form1 .30 cal can. Loud as fuck unsuppressed. Less loud suppressed Im not totally dissapointed with the can seeing as how the rifle unsuppressed is ridiculously loud. Eventually I'll get around to shooting on a 16" barrel

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By NoScoE30:

Your aluminum end caps turned purple? Are you sure they are not made from titanium?
View Quote
They are/were anodized black. The heat turned them purple.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
Any examples of a 458 Socom or 50 Beowulf in budget home build land?  If so, what tube, baffle and end cap combo did you go with?

Wes
View Quote

I went with the 9.6" Ti tube and steel endcaps.  I believe I had 1.5" blast chamber and a total of 11 pressed freeze plug baffles.  Bore is 0.5" and total weight was just under 20oz.  It's borderline hearing safe on my 12" barrel AR.  I don't have measuring equipment, but I'd bet it's 138-140dB.  Now on a 16" bolt gun it sounds much better.  

I'll try to find a pic later.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

This seems to be the exception so far and not the rule. Can you attribute this to poor machining or a 'bad batch'? Was it not on tightly or was it loosening from previous shot and had a baffle strike?

When it 'blew off' did the threads shear off the aluminum cap? Can you identify 'why' it failed?
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#27]

This seems to be the exception so far and not the rule. Can you attribute this to poor machining or a 'bad batch'? Was it not on tightly or was it loosening from previous shot and had a baffle strike?

When it 'blew off' did the threads shear off the aluminum cap? Can you identify 'why' it failed?
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By NWRed:

Ive got a Form1 7.62x39 10.5" SBR and an 8" SDTA/Apogee Form1 .30 cal can. Loud as fuck unsuppressed. Less loud suppressed Im not totally dissapointed with the can seeing as how the rifle unsuppressed is ridiculously loud. Eventually I'll get around to shooting on a 16" barrel

View All Quotes
Thanks guys

that's funny I had a 16 inch barrel 7.62x39 and it was ok but with very little lost in 6 inches less barrel I figured y have a 16 inch so hoping the 10.5 is hearing safe with an 8 inch suppressor

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:16:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: c5hardtop] [#29]

View All Quotes

It sheered off between the threads and the face of the end cap, so that the end went downrange and the threaded portion was still in the tube.  It was on a 8.5" barrel with standard (full power) rounds a configuration that is not as common as well.  Someone else on another board I think said their adapter and end failed at the same point.  I didn't say it was common it appears to be the opposite, just like the Ti D tubes that went kaboom.   I have Aluminum ends from OnTactical and DM on cans ran on the same host that held up fine so far, but they were both made out of 7075 instead of 6061, I stopped shooting them on that host after this happened.  I would just encourage everyone to run Ti ends if weight is a concern.  The DM Ti ends are down to 0.95-1.2oz range depending on the style, so lighter than the Al ends in question. If I recall the AL DM ends are made thicker so they are about the same weight also.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By samson7x:

I went with the 9.6" Ti tube and steel endcaps.  I believe I had 1.5" blast chamber and a total of 11 pressed freeze plug baffles.  Bore is 0.5" and total weight was just under 20oz.  It's borderline hearing safe on my 12" barrel AR.  I don't have measuring equipment, but I'd bet it's 138-140dB.  Now on a 16" bolt gun it sounds much better.  

View All Quotes

Wes

This is somewhat odd on sound performance and may be attributed to the noise from the ejection port.  If you have a chance to try it with a adjustable gas system I would give it a shot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#31]

This is somewhat odd on sound performance and may be attributed to the noise from the ejection port.  If you have a chance to try it with a adjustable gas system I would give it a shot.
View All Quotes

Wes

I've found, and most will agree, that AR's are much louder to the shooter than bolt guns.  It is true that I had the gas wide open working with function on my particular upper.  I'll turn it down and see what happens, but it's honestly on par with performance I expected.  A 12" SBR 458 with full power loads is beastly loud unsuppressed.  I was also using Lil gun powder, so that may have something to do with it.  It may be a little more quiet with other powders, I'm not sure.  I simply haven't experimented with that enough.

I will say I took a deer with it this year suppressed and my ears didn't ring at all.  That, to me, makes it worth the "production" cost.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#32]

I've found, and most will agree, that AR's are much louder to the shooter than bolt guns.  It is true that I had the gas wide open working with function on my particular upper.  I'll turn it down and see what happens, but it's honestly on par with performance I expected.  A 12" SBR 458 with full power loads is beastly loud unsuppressed.  I was also using Lil gun powder, so that may have something to do with it.  It may be a little more quiet with other powders, I'm not sure.  I simply haven't experimented with that enough.

I will say I took a deer with it this year suppressed and my ears didn't ring at all.  That, to me, makes it worth the "production" cost.  
View All Quotes

Wes

How's everything holding up?  What kind of round count do you have on it?

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Thanks
Wes
View All Quotes

Wes

Thanks
Wes

Holding up just fine.  I only have 100 full power rounds and <50 subsonic through it as 458 isn't a high volume caliber for me.  No noticeable wear.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

I had a 7" SDtac Ti tube with Al endcaps, my threaded adapter blew out, shearing off the threads (all of it came out of the tube), and it was Resbonded in there. After I replaced it with a carbon steel adapter, the front Al endcap did the same. Since then I have replaced it with Ti. I can testify to the strength of the Ti tubes, though... perfect condition, albeit the paint was scratched to hell, but it was structurally perfect. Mic'd it out to be sure. Now, I only build with Ti. Baffles have to be steel. Aluminum deforms under the pressure at the barrel going towards the exit side.  7.5" adjustable gas piston rig. using supers.  Totally hearing safe once the kinks have been worked out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Got another Form 1 in yesterday, going to start the next build!  
Applied for it 9/07/15, received 1/11/16, so just about 3-1/2 months.  

My first one came back in 40 days.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:08:11 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Thanks guys

While not an AR in x39,  My SBR Draco running a carbon steel 7.5"  SD tube, 2" blast chamber, the rest FP's. Takes the sound down to a 22mag report.  Hearing safe as some hope, not after 1/2 dozen rounds on a covered berm. In the open if that's what you like go for it.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#37]
Which DM direct thread adapter and end cap in SS will work with the SDTA D-tube? The "Non-DM 'D-Size' 1.55" option?

And also will the 'griffin' adapters work with the taper mount minimalist brake?
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Is there a separate thread for Materials and Process to make one for an AK?

Looking to make one for my SBRd Papm92. Recommendations on:

>Mount

>Tube

> Baffles

thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By developer:
Is there a separate thread for Materials and Process to make one for an AK?

Looking to make one for my SBRd Papm92. Recommendations on:

>Mount

>Tube

> Baffles

thanks
View Quote

On the Yugo M92 you will need to machine back the M26 threads on the FSB and expose the barrel underneath - then thread the barrel for 1/2-28 concentrically to the barrel. From there you can just build a standard Form 1 can that fits your needs that can withstand a 10" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Which DM direct thread adapter and end cap in SS will work with the SDTA D-tube? The "Non-DM 'D-Size' 1.55" option?

And also will the 'griffin' adapters work with the taper mount minimalist brake?
View Quote

Sdta steel tube is 1.55" od and sdta ti tube is 1.50" so order the non-DM tread to match
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Sdta steel tube is 1.55" od and sdta ti tube is 1.50" so order the non-DM tread to match
View All Quotes

I believe 1.55 was the only option for SS so that's what I ordered - guess it was a good choice

I emailed them back just to make sure from the order email confirmation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By jim:

While not an AR in x39,  My SBR Draco running a carbon steel 7.5"  SD tube, 2" blast chamber, the rest FP's. Takes the sound down to a 22mag report.  Hearing safe as some hope, not after 1/2 dozen rounds on a covered berm. In the open if that's what you like go for it.

View All Quotes
Thanks guys

awesome thanks man I was wondering. mine is 10.5 inch barrel so I am hoping it will be like a 22 if its 22 mag or 22lr no difference to me thanks for the info and also I shoot in open fields and ranges and a lot better then unsuppressed do u have any videos and any sub sonics for ur draco
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#43]

awesome thanks man I was wondering. mine is 10.5 inch barrel so I am hoping it will be like a 22 if its 22 mag or 22lr no difference to me thanks for the info and also I shoot in open fields and ranges and a lot better then unsuppressed do u have any videos and any sub sonics for ur draco

I only shoot full power (Wolf) loads in the AK's. I have a few hundred NIB IMI boxer brass i will eventually get around to loading, some subs with.

That's 22 MAG. You'll be hard pressed to get 22 lr suppression on an AK, with standard loads. Subs, maybe? But don't hold your breath.  

I did a 30 cal can specifically for the AK's because the naysayers are constantly saying DON'T SUPPRESS AN AK. BE CAREFUL AK's don't have concentric bores, etc.

I'll concede AK's aren't known for concentric bores/threads. Fortunately the 3 i have / had all run fine suppressed. With no baffle strike / concentricty issues.
I also built the can because i'm frugal and couldn't see dropping $$ on a commercial 30 cal can for an AK. Just in case my barrels were not concentric. Baffle strikes on  $600- 1k CAN  
On a $170 unit big deal.  Torch or band saw cut it rendering it inoperable. Submit another F1 and go from there. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Dude won't respond to my emails.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Sometimes he gets behind on email...he will get back to you eventually
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:52:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: c5hardtop] [#46]

View All Quotes

If you have waited more than a week try again.  He is focusing on making parts (70+ hours a week) as he is behind on quoted times, often he will send out replies late at night or really early in the morning.  Definitely try to be concise and to the point on communication so you can get a order in within the first couple emails or the process will be very frustrating.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Took him about 3 days to respond to my last email.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#48]

I only shoot full power (Wolf) loads in the AK's. I have a few hundred NIB IMI boxer brass i will eventually get around to loading, some subs with.

That's 22 MAG. You'll be hard pressed to get 22 lr suppression on an AK, with standard loads. Subs, maybe? But don't hold your breath.  

I did a 30 cal can specifically for the AK's because the naysayers are constantly saying DON'T SUPPRESS AN AK. BE CAREFUL AK's don't have concentric bores, etc.

I'll concede AK's aren't known for concentric bores/threads. Fortunately the 3 i have / had all run fine suppressed. With no baffle strike / concentricty issues.
I also built the can because i'm frugal and couldn't see dropping $$ on a commercial 30 cal can for an AK. Just in case my barrels were not concentric. Baffle strikes on  $600- 1k CAN  
On a $170 unit big deal.  Torch or band saw cut it rendering it inoperable. Submit another F1 and go from there. YMMV
View Quote

sweet thanks man any videos .
check this guys videos out
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/684862_Should_I_build_a_7_62x39_AR_or_no_.html&page=6
steel cased standard ammo that he pulls the bullets from uses the same powder but less and presses in a 203 grain bullet I think he is doing it for about 40 cents or so a round and having extra powder and the pulled bullets
something to try for u maybe
I am running a 10.5 barreled ar-15 chambered in 7.62x39 barrel isn't an issue usually

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/456293_Reloading_7_62x39_for_subsonic.html
video
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

Yeah, waiting is part of the game. His lead time has increased exponentially since my first order. I just got an order that was quoted 8-10, took 16wks. Not complaining and put in another order the day I received this order. Remember, no time line on building. Only thing I'm beating is 41p.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 120
Top Top