Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2018 5:05:31 PM EDT
Finally after years of searching and surfing........
The elusive 44 Winchester 73' Prototype Milbank Primed Cartridge.

This photograph of the cartridge and the x-ray of the cartridge answered so many questions but leads to several more. It used the extremely short lived Milbank primer and a shorter cartridge case than we use now. The length was 1.177" rather than today's 1.300". The bullet only seats about .21" into the case.

I am only limited to 2,000 words so I had to delete most of my text.   For more information, please visit the 44 Winchester Center Fire Cartridge

Was fun stepping back into history handloading this vintage design...other than a milbank primer. An inferior design for sure, but fun nonetheless. Can't wait to shoot them in my 73'.

Lyman's 427098 Bullet...slightly different from Winchester's original

Images from the Winchester's 1875 Catalog
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks.  The link was very informative.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool. That is a great link!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top