Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2023 12:40:49 PM EDT
I watched this, these are sales samples. Hopefully they can get them out on the market.
EXP went thru an ownership change already, but there has got to be many millions tied up in this just getting this far.

Finally! NEW PRIMER COMPANY Shows Proof Of Life! We've got Em! Small Pistol Primers from EXPANSION

https://www.expansion-ammunition.com/
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I am currently doing NATO drop testing on these. Have been through a few lots so far.

So can confirm they are real.

ETA: the OEM Primers are just that... For OEM Loading, I don't know EXP plans for retail, but I believe the majority of EXP stock will be going to loading at other companies first.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am currently doing NATO drop testing on these. Have been through a few lots so far.

ETA: the OEM Primers are just that... For OEM Loading, I don't know EXP plans for retail, but I believe the majority of EXP stock will be going to loading at other companies first.
View Quote

Excellent.   I think EXP has their own ammo line too.  I would expect most primers will go to ammo manufacturers first, reloaders second.  We are always second.  
Still, more primers is a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Any additional supply helps. Primers really are a strategic resource so multiple supply points aren’t just an economic or general consumer concern.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#4]
You may see some new primer competition in the market pop up here in Idaho in the next year or so.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You may see some new primer competition in the market pop up here in Idaho in the next year or so.
View Quote

Always welcome news.  Who is that?
As expensive as a primer facility may be to get up and running, it still seems like a good bet.  Until the market gets flooded, again.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
A ray of light in the darkness, a beacon of hope in our despair.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Well
Nammo is building a primer plant in Finland.
First Breach in Maryland is supposed to be shipping primers in the next quarter.
Fiocchi supposedly is building a primer facility in the USA
Beretta is going to be build a plant TN.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As expensive as a primer facility may be to get up and running, it still seems like a good bet.  Until the market gets flooded, again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will hold off saying just yet, still lots to sort out. But it's coming up fast along with some ammunition manufacturing as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Expansion does not have a price point yet....ufda!
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well
Nammo is building a primer plant in Finland.
First Breach in Maryland is supposed to be shipping primers in the next quarter.
Fiocchi supposedly is building a primer facility in the USA
Beretta is going to be build a plant TN.
View Quote

All good news.  When they come back at a reasonable price, I will never worry about primers again.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
What I am curious about is the primer price point necessary to continue project justification.   Are they all being funded based on a 5 cent/primer return, or were the investments considered justified at lower, like 3 cents?  

If they all are expecting 100% sales at 7 cents, they may be in for some dissapointment, and some of these might end up scrapped.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Powder Valley was offering primers at $71/1k (7 cents each).  I did not consider buying at that price.

I have a decent supply available to me, however, that kind of elevated pricing will pushes me away from buying primers and from shooting as a "sport".  Over the long haul, that is bad for their business.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:12:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Are you sure these are just not reboxed Win primers put in different sleeves and sent out to say "SEE!!!!! We are real!"???????

Wouldn't be the first time someone has done something like this to show investors that they are not getting hosed.

Is anyone actually from the area to confirm this place is up and running? The guy that started this is supposed to be a crook in the lowest order. Hired his whole family as board of directors then had to do a go fund me campaign to pay his people that were not actually his family. There is a lot of BS going on with this.

Whoever the person that does have some of these post some pics of the actual primers, trays. Pics of the inside of the primer to see the anvil and foil. That may show something that they or someone else actually made these. I HOPE they are real and not reboxed. It will help us all as the commercial loaders will take the strain off the everyday guys sources.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are you sure these are just not reboxed Win primers put in different sleeves and sent out to say "SEE!!!!! We are real!"???????

Wouldn't be the first time someone has done something like this to show investors that they are not getting hosed.

Is anyone actually from the area to confirm this place is up and running? The guy that started this is supposed to be a crook in the lowest order. Hired his whole family as board of directors then had to do a go fund me campaign to pay his people that were not actually his family. There is a lot of BS going on with this.

Whoever the person that does have some of these post some pics of the actual primers, trays. Pics of the inside of the primer to see the anvil and foil. That may show something that they or someone else actually made these. I HOPE they are real and not reboxed. It will help us all as the commercial loaders will take the strain off the everyday guys sources.
View Quote

I'd call you paranoid.  But... I'm not sure you are.  These are solid legit questions in any setting.  With the track record of the nearly smoke and mirrors level show this ride has been, its a legit question.  For the record, I do assume they are legit.  But thats a due-dillegence I'd insist on, if I had skin in the game.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:02:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  

The guy that started this is supposed to be a crook in the lowest order. Hired his whole family as board of directors then had to do a go fund me campaign to pay his people that were not actually his family. There is a lot of BS going on with this.
View Quote

Wow, that is quite a bit to take in, and it's only three sentences.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like somebody has seen them in the wild.
I don’t know anything about the rumors EXP is a scam, but I did see just that on Reddit.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#17]
The retail price of EXP primers as seen on the only seller who was set to sell then had them priced at $80/K that's not including shipping/Hazmat/sales tax.

Of course they've yet to receive any.

https://southerndefense.com/copy-of-expansion-ballistics-small-pistol-primers-7-brass/

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  

The guy that started this is supposed to be a crook in the lowest order. Hired his whole family as board of directors then had to do a go fund me campaign to pay his people that were not actually his family. There is a lot of BS going on with this.

The people who started EXP had a previous business in VA where they supposedly accepted GoFundMe payments for the development of bulk rifle powder. It was a bust and don't know if anyone got their money back.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don’t know anything about the rumors EXP is a scam, but I did see just that on Reddit.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

They saw packaged primers in EXP marked cardboard.  What hasn't been verified is if those are simply repackaged 3rd party primers.

Normally I'd call this a bit paranoid to question.  And hopefully is....  hopefully.  

Frankly,  they didn't pass my sniff test, with far more focus on getting headlines and news articles and raising capital, than actually making primers.  Hopefully they finally are.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The people who started EXP had a previous business in VA where they supposedly accepted GoFundMe payments for the development of bulk rifle powder. It was a bust and don't know if anyone got their money back.

View Quote

VA Expansion Industries screwed a lot of people with prepay so you can fund us bringing in more powder from Maxxam.  I was lucky, and they had stock on the CSB1 that they labeled as ETR-7 instead of prepay.  It was good powder.  

They also screwed a bunch of customers on their reloaded ammo that never shipped.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can tell you they are not reboxed from what I have in hand as far as I can tell. I wont say if that is good or bad yet. ha
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm skeptical, but I hope this pans out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Powder Valley was offering primers at $71/1k (7 cents each).  I did not consider buying at that price.

I have a decent supply available to me, however, that kind of elevated pricing will pushes me away from buying primers and from shooting as a "sport".  Over the long haul, that is bad for their business.
View Quote

I'm not sure that I agree. Of course all price increases put some suppressing pressure on purchases, no matter what we're talking about - just basic economics - but primer cost isn't going to harm participation.

Primers jumping from $.03 in the recent good days to $.07 lately raises the price of ammo by four cents per round.

Reluctance to buy primers at $70/K is more psychological than rational economics.

Is reloading bulk rifle ammo at $.30 per round instead of $.26 a hobby killer?

Is match rifle ammo at $.65 per round instead of $.61 a competition killer?

No, of course not.

The issue is availability. I spent months and months searching for more fed gold medal large pistol primers to feed my bullseye pistols. When I found some, the 1K purchase limit was a bigger problem than the extra $50/K compared to 2018 prices.

(Foolish me, while I stacked 150K+ primers when they were cheap, I neglected the match large pistol bin and only had a few K of those ...)

I haven't bought any other primers since 2018ish, but if I had needed them to shoot, I would've. Five cents per round, in the context of multi-thousand dollar guns, range fees, gas to get there, the new optic that's going to magically fix bad marksmanship fundamentals, the gotta have cerakote dress-up games, labradar chronographs, $100 premium 9mm dies when a $30 Lee will (mostly) do the same ...

Anyway. Primer prices will come down when inventory sits unsold, and not before. Buy 'em if you need' em now, otherwise just wait.

I think participation amongst reloaders has been harmed far more significantly by supply and purchase limits, as opposed to cost.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I can tell you they are not reboxed from what I have in hand as far as I can tell. I wont say if that is good or bad yet. ha
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Neat.  Why do you say that?  Are they stamped EXP on the cups?   Is their a unique anvil construction or color nuance?
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm feeling very negative about the current situation, so bear with me.

It is not just the cost of primers, powder and bullet prices have increased, too.  

I have seen common powders selling for as much as $80/pound, bullets doubled and primers were at $120/1k.  

Overlaid on the pricing increases were significant shortages.

Your mentioning of quantity limits reminded me that HAZMAT charges on a pound of powder and a thousand primers is the same as for bulk buys, raising the unit cost of powder and primer price yet again.

If I "broad brush" it, the cost of reloaded ammo has doubled, well beyond the primer price increase, alone.

It seems gasdoc09 and many others are buffered from the short-term price hikes but will still have to deal with replacement costs.

I remain skeptical of the long-term outcome of all this.  As I said, my fear is it will become "the sport of kings" (the only ones who can afford it).

Currently, the current situation shows some improvement but remains very negative.  However, I remain hopeful the situation will turn around.

I should stay away from this thread.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm feeling very negative about the current situation, so bear with me.

It is not just the cost of primers, powder and bullet prices have increased, too.  

I have seen common powders selling for as much as $80/pound, bullets doubled and primers were at $120/1k.  

Overlaid on the pricing increases were significant shortages.

Your mentioning of quantity limits reminded me that HAZMAT charges on a pound of powder and a thousand primers is the same as for bulk buys, raising the unit cost of powder and primer price yet again.

If I "broad brush" it, the cost of reloaded ammo has doubled, well beyond the primer price increase, alone.

It seems gasdoc09 and many others are buffered from the short-term price hikes but will still have to deal with replacement costs.

I remain skeptical of the long-term outcome of all this.  As I said, my fear is it will become "the sport of kings" (the only ones who can afford it).

Currently, the current situation shows some improvement but remains very negative.  However, I remain hopeful the situation will turn around.

I should stay away from this thread.
View Quote

I've never seen 9mm FMJ bullets cheaper in my entire reloading career.  

Not inflation adjusted, but actual absolute price.  I'm buying 115 gr reloading FMJ bullets cheaper than I was bulk-buying pulls 20 years ago, right now, and cheaper than I've ever bought plated.  If you're not grabbing bullet deals right now, you're not "buying cheap, stack it deep" right now.  I just paid 3.7 cents per bullet, and bought 4000 of them.  Good bullets that shoot well.  I take them out to 200 yards in a 9mm.    The primer CURRENTLY is twice the price, at 7 cents delivered, if bought in bulk on sale.  That number will continue to fall with time.  As primer prices fall, those bullet prices are going to jump, as the only reason they are so cheap, is nobody is reloading 9mm right now, due to high primer prices.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Trollslayer you just have to look hard.  I would gag at 80/lb powder.

There is some good pull down pistol powder, CFE, 25/lb delivered.
Pretty sure I linked it in the where to find thread.

Primers continue to be a tight spot.  I have no doubt we will see the cycle come back to overstock and prices will fall.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've never seen 9mm FMJ bullets cheaper in my entire reloading career.  

Not inflation adjusted, but actual absolute price.  I'm buying 115 gr reloading FMJ bullets cheaper than I was bulk-buying pulls 20 years ago, right now, and cheaper than I've ever bought plated.  If you're not grabbing bullet deals right now, you're not "buying cheap, stack it deep" right now.  I just paid 3.7 cents per bullet, and bought 4000 of them.  Good bullets that shoot well.  I take them out to 200 yards in a 9mm.    The primer CURRENTLY is twice the price, at 7 cents delivered, if bought in bulk on sale.  That number will continue to fall with time.  As primer prices fall, those bullet prices are going to jump, as the only reason they are so cheap, is nobody is reloading 9mm right now, due to high primer prices.  
View Quote

Really a good point.  I need to lay in a lot of bullets.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't shoot much 9mm, barely at all.

I shoot centerfire rifle and rimfire.

Have we talked about rimfire ammo costs & availability recently?    

No, no,... I need to get out of this thread.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I just paid 3.7 cents per bullet, and bought 4000 of them.
View Quote

Care to share?  Where?
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Care to share?  Where?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Care to share?  Where?

Must be a typo.  Right?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:14:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Must be a typo.  Right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to share?  Where?

Must be a typo.  Right?

American Reloading.  $52 / 1000 delivered FMJ 115gr.  30% PROMO code (Projos)
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:56:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are a good source for sure.  I don’t like dealing with those mixed lot pulls, OOS anyway now.  They do have deals on others that gets it down to 71/k.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They are a good source for sure.  I don’t like dealing with those mixed lot pulls, OOS anyway now.  They do have deals on others that gets it down to 71/k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They weren't even pulls.  Not that I can tell anyway, no markings and consistent diameters.

Watch, they keep coming back.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#35]
The 115s I got were not pulls, and not mixed.  I need to stay off their site.  I've spent way too much recently.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#36]
FWIW, I just got an email from sentry ammo (can't vouch for their legitimacy) showing .205/rd for expansion industries 9mm ammo.

I have no idea if it's loaded with their components yet, they were selling ammo before any primers were known to exist, but perhaps coupled with folks starting to get their hands on primers, this is an indicator they are indeed coming through on this...
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Provided these are priced right, I’ll try ‘‘em and perhaps purchase a good number of them. Hopefully they will start with Large Rifle primers as that’s currently where the shortage is.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

VA Expansion Industries screwed a lot of people with prepay so you can fund us bringing in more powder from Maxxam.  I was lucky, and they had stock on the CSB1 that they labeled as ETR-7 instead of prepay.  It was good powder.  

They also screwed a bunch of customers on their reloaded ammo that never shipped.
View Quote

I've still got a 4 pound jug of ETR-7 left over.  I've loaded a ton of 9mm in 124 and 147 grain with it.  Works well and similar load data as Titegroup.  I agree, it's a good powder, especially for bulk reloading if you shoot competition or train a lot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good to hear.  There is a huge knowledge and experience base in Lewiston.  Probably some used equipment available as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Big Picture Look @ things

Hodgon now distributes
Hodgdon Brand Ball powders are made in FL and extruded in Australia
Winchester Brand powders are made in FL
IMR Brand are mostly made in Canada and couple in Australia
Ramshot Brand most made in FL and the rest in FL
Accurate Brand in FL and Europe

Hodgdon supposedly discontinued the IMR Enduron line, and then now changed course calling it a suspension of production.

Then we have Vista Outdoor and their Alliant Powder some of which are made in Virginia and the rest in Europe.

Then we have VV made in Finland

And, if Hodgdon is sticking it to their distributors they have no way to avoid increasing their price point.  
There are so many posters that are posting low prices they pay that are full of beans.  Unless they have verifiable proof...which they do not have they are
trolls!

Next look at companies that ARE not traditional sources of primers Like Outdoor Unlimited or Target Sports USA.  They have been getting primers from Winchester and Vista.
Places like Grafs or Black Hills have not.  
Look @ Target sports they were charging $120 K in 5K lots while they have dropped their prices to 80ish per k.  Where as the traditional sources do not have primers.
jjj

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What I am curious about is the primer price point necessary to continue project justification.   Are they all being funded based on a 5 cent/primer return, or were the investments considered justified at lower, like 3 cents?  

If they all are expecting 100% sales at 7 cents, they may be in for some dissapointment, and some of these might end up scrapped.
View Quote

This is all that matters.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Big Picture Look @ things

Hodgon now distributes
Hodgdon Brand Ball powders are made in FL and extruded in Australia
Winchester Brand powders are made in FL
IMR Brand are mostly made in Canada and couple in Australia
Ramshot Brand most made in FL and the rest in FL
Accurate Brand in FL and Europe

Hodgdon supposedly discontinued the IMR Enduron line, and then now changed course calling it a suspension of production.

Then we have Vista Outdoor and their Alliant Powder some of which are made in Virginia and the rest in Europe.

Then we have VV made in Finland

And, if Hodgdon is sticking it to their distributors they have no way to avoid increasing their price point.  
There are so many posters that are posting low prices they pay that are full of beans.  Unless they have verifiable proof...which they do not have they are
trolls!

Next look at companies that ARE not traditional sources of primers Like Outdoor Unlimited or Target Sports USA.  They have been getting primers from Winchester and Vista.
Places like Grafs or Black Hills have not.  
Look @ Target sports they were charging $120 K in 5K lots while they have dropped their prices to 80ish per k.  Where as the traditional sources do not have primers.
jjj

View Quote

Hodgdon now owns almost all of those.  I don't see them leading the race back to 2019 prices
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They weren't even pulls.  Not that I can tell anyway, no markings and consistent diameters.

Watch, they keep coming back.
View Quote

Yep, I snagged 1K to try out…out of the 300 I’ve loaded up so far I’ve found maybe a dozen with pull marks.

I did the math the other day and even using the $90 brick of Federal small pistol primers I’m loading this 1K of 9MM for $150 all in. Most places online are $250-$270 per case plus tax and/or shipping for 115 grain 9MM.

Next time those come back in stock I’m going to order 5K.

Now match grade components are spendy, what you pay to reload 100 rounds of match grade ammo today is likely what it cost to buy factory match ammo a couple years ago.

Realistically ammo and reloading components are still a shit show, but pockets of the market are improving.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Neat.  Why do you say that?  Are they stamped EXP on the cups?   Is their a unique anvil construction or color nuance?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am going mostly off the sealant application and color, but nothing is stamped on the cups.

I was able to finish the sensitivity drop testing on these (NATO AEP-97) and they passed for what it's worth. Will be interesting to see how EXP continues forward. Hopefully in a good way!
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Show a pic of the primer with the anvil up. I want to see the foil.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:11:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am going mostly off the sealant application and color, but nothing is stamped on the cups.

I was able to finish the sensitivity drop testing on these (NATO AEP-97) and they passed for what it's worth. Will be interesting to see how EXP continues forward. Hopefully in a good way!
View Quote

You should check with your employer BEFORE you make any public disclosures about their work.  The information may be covered by a non-disclosure agreement, no matter whether favorable or unfavorable.

I say this not to hide information and not as a precaution for them but to protect YOU.  People have been fired for less.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You should check with your employer BEFORE you make any public disclosures about their work.  The information may be covered by a non-disclosure agreement, no matter whether favorable or unfavorable.

I say this not to hide information and not as a precaution for them but to protect YOU.  People have been fired for less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that, yes. This is standard testing for all primers during manufacturing, so just a re-creation of standards. The testing procedure is public information as well.

But your comment still rings true. you wont be seeing any charts on these things.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Troll:
FWIW
The employee/contractor would be aware of any NDA's that the Company (EXP in this case) would have in place............ because they would have to sign it.  
So TZL would be aware of it.
Top Top