Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2018 12:34:24 PM EDT
Took a rifle in trade that has this issue, using brand new bench rest CCI primers it will deeply dent the primer, but the round will not ignite. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries before it may go off. Could this be an issue with the striker velocity as in the striker spring is worn and weak?

Read the solution down the page, the misfires are not caused by primer seating or bad primers.  AeroE
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Took a rifle in trade that has this issue, using brand new bench rest CCI primers it will deeply dent the primer, but the round will not ignite. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries before it may go off. Could this be an issue with the striker velocity as in the striker spring is worn and weak?
View Quote
Primer not fully seated?

And sometimes the primer pellet splits and may not ever ignite.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Bad primer(s).
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Primer not fully seated?

View Quote
Primer fully seated flush with the case. Virgin Lapua brass.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Could be a bad primer. I've had a few. What rifle?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Chamber headspace is too deep.

You need to create a false shoulder on the brass with an expander mandrel, then neck it back down to 6mm, leaving a small section with a larger diameter.

Then you can fire form your brass to that gun and only bump the shoulder back .001-.002" for the next firing.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#7]
What type/model of rifle is this?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What type/model of rifle is this?
View Quote
A custom bolt gun on a Stiller action in 6mm Norma BR.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Primer not fully seated?

The problem is that even flush can still be not at the bottom of the primer pocket.

Most primer pockets are slightly deeper (by a few thousandths of an inch) than the height of the primer.

The primer should be very slightly BELOW the case head.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Headspace
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Where did OP go?

@P08
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm here, just have not had time to mess with it. I spoke with a gunsmith and he thinks trying a striker spring would be a first step. So gonna give that a try.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:08:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a thousand primer box about 4 weeks ago and was getting no fire on the majority of them, like 9 out of 10 would not fire.  The manufacture sent me an overnight tag to return to the factory and they did some testing and the majority of a 1000 primer pack was no good.  They send me two 1000 round packs to replace them and have had no problem since, but they had a batch of bad primers.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, finally had time to mess with it again. It is a Shilen DGA action and I discovered through an internet search that it has a firing pin that screws into the cocking piece. It was not lock tighted and the pin apparently had backed off just enough that it would not fire. So now I need to find the correct firing pin protrusion depth set it and lock tight the pin.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ok, finally had time to mess with it again. It is a Shilen DGA action and I discovered through an internet search that it has a firing pin that screws into the cocking piece. It was not lock tighted and the pin apparently had backed off just enough that it would not fire. So now I need to find the correct firing pin protrusion depth set it and lock tight the pin.
View Quote
That will do it. I did that to my Mark V once.

Should be about .055-.060" protrusion.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That will do it. I did that to my Mark V once.

Should be about .055-.060" protrusion.
View Quote
Set the protrusion to about .60 and locked it down. The primer that it only dented before now fired.
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Chamber headspace is too deep.

You need to create a false shoulder on the brass with an expander mandrel, then neck it back down to 6mm, leaving a small section with a larger diameter.

Then you can fire form your brass to that gun and only bump the shoulder back .001-.002" for the next firing.
View Quote
At first I considered the same thing but this would result in light primer strikes, not deep strikes.

I'm at a bit of a loss to explain how the firing pin could cause a deep hit on a primer without setting it off.  Doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
At first I considered the same thing but this would result in light primer strikes, not deep strikes.

I'm at a bit of a loss to explain how the firing pin could cause a deep hit on a primer without setting it off.  Doesn't make sense.
View Quote
If it is not seated to the bottom of the primer pocket it will be deep because it is higher than normal and NOT go off because the energy is wasted pushing it into the pocket.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If it is not seated to the bottom of the primer pocket it will be deep because it is higher than normal and NOT go off because the energy is wasted pushing it into the pocket.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Primers were seated in fully. I can only think that there was enough inertia to dent the primer, but not enough pin protrusion to actually hit the anvil?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top