Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2020 9:41:53 PM EDT
I just moved my Gear Head Works charging from the left side to the right. After installing the bolt assy the bolt assy will not seat against the barrel trunion there's approx a 1/4" gap, looking into the breach I can see the charging rod blocking the bolt assy from moving forward, but if I push the bolt assy forward the bolt will close. When I try to cycle the handle the bolt gets stuck about 1/2 of the way going forward. The charging handle also binds. The only way to free it up is to remove the bolt assy. I completely disassembled the Tavor with no help. The top cover is installed properly, nothing is over torqued, the op rod is seated flush against the barrel. The charging handle assy works perfectly on the left side before I switched sides. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Tried everything with the barrel removed and still no help I switched the CH back to the left side everything worked normally and Im thinking WTF. Examined the BCG assy and noticed a roll pin on the right side where the CH op rod sits and the left side was not installed. I removed the roll pin since it did not retain anything and assumed it was to block the CH op rod if the opposite side was selected. I did not see this published in the manual and it's possible I have an early model? Apparently with the roll pin installed on the right side and when I moved the CH/op rod was moved the roll pin would cause the bolt to bind 1/2 way through a cycle. After all of this I didn't like the CH on the right side and ended reinstalling the CH on the left side since manipulating it was easier "Go figure ". One interesting thing I found is looking at the CH it looks like it's possible to install a secondary CH to have the option to use either one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I think your correct.  I think I read is was possible to have a charging handle on both sides of the Tavor SAR at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you remember to flip the dust shield?
View Quote
I did. I emailed GHW and they said the problem was the "General Pin" aka the roll pin that is inserted in the BCG assy on the opposite side of the op rod rides on. He said it's basically for armors so they don't install a right hand BCG assy in a left hand charging handle weapon. It makes more sense to not have the pin in at all and make the BCG assy universal so it works in either configuration. I guess it makes perfect sense to somebody in Israel.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#5]
It keeps the troops from swapping a LH BCG into a RH configured rifle.

There's another roll pin that keeps the wrong handed bolt from being installed in an opposite configured BCG.

Swapping the pin sides is in the armorer's manual when changing handedness of the rifle.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 4:48:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It makes more sense to not have the pin in at all and make the BCG assy universal so it works in either configuration. I guess it makes perfect sense to somebody in Israel.
View Quote

It likely makes even more sense to an American company, whose lawyers have cautioned them to walk on pins and needles out of fear of liability lawsuits. Compared to the legal expenses of a liability hearing, how much do you think, say, a quarter of a million pins cost? Half a million pins? How many guns would they have to sell, before the savings of one pin would make up for the cost of just a single lawsuit? Now make it a class action suit. I'm not even talking about settlement payouts, but simply the legal expenses of fighting the good fight.

We live in a country in which the number of lawyers more than doubled over the span of a decade, and you can't watch a single hour of home entertainment without hearing about one lawsuit or another telling you "you may be entitled to compensation".

This world that we live in, literally requires you to protect consumers from their own stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I had dual CH on my X95 before I got rid of it. Bullpup Armory makes a retaining plate that had both CH rod holes. Never t RF IED it on my SAR as I have a cable going into the right side CH slot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I tired putting a charging handle of both sides of my Tavor SAR. It would not work. No enough room up front for both rods at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It likely makes even more sense to an American company, whose lawyers have cautioned them to walk on pins and needles out of fear of liability lawsuits. Compared to the legal expenses of a liability hearing, how much do you think, say, a quarter of a million pins cost? Half a million pins? How many guns would they have to sell, before the savings of one pin would make up for the cost of just a single lawsuit? Now make it a class action suit. I'm not even talking about settlement payouts, but simply the legal expenses of fighting the good fight.

We live in a country in which the number of lawyers more than doubled over the span of a decade, and you can't watch a single hour of home entertainment without hearing about one lawsuit or another telling you "you may be entitled to compensation".

This world that we live in, literally requires you to protect consumers from their own stupidity.
View Quote

OoooooKay, but if you were to swap the CH to the opposite side it will not fit through the dust cover. Even if you forgot to mount the dust cover the CH rod would be at an angle and not charge the weapon, so I don't know what someone could sue for?
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 3:18:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
so I don't know what someone could sue for?
View Quote

Then, you obviously have common sense and are not a money grabbing lawyer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top