Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2018 7:26:09 PM EDT
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/22/shot-2018-iwi-tavor-7-israeli-308-bullpup/

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/iwi-tavor-7-bullpup-rifle/

https://iwi.net/tavor/tavor-7/

.308 version of the Tavor.  It was introduced last fall and this is the 1st I've heard about it.  MSRP of $2200 they said.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks nice. As a Tavor owner I'm not sure if I see the benefits to a 308 bullpen.  It doesn't seem like a great long range platform. If I want a short range/compact weapon I think I'd just stick with the 5.56 or 9mm versions.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in, weighting to see one in person.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of info posted a few topics down: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Tavor-7-at-shot/43-485827/
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:13:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks nice. As a Tavor owner I'm not sure if I see the benefits to a 308 bullpen.  It doesn't seem like a great long range platform. If I want a short range/compact weapon I think I'd just stick with the 5.56 or 9mm versions.
View Quote
Well, if IWI has trigger & accuracy sorted, then you could be getting.30 cal precision in a handy bullpup.  I particularly like that it works with a suppressor & has a user level bbl removal feature.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone confirm it is actually free floated yet?  Rep said yes, then no, then silence.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone confirm it is actually free floated yet?  Rep said yes, then no, then silence.
View Quote
Yes,  the IWI reps at SHOT show informed me that the barrel is free floated as well. It has a pretty decent trigger by the way. Plus it states that the barrel is free floated on the Tavor7 IWI website, 5th bullet down.
Hammer-forged, chrome-lined, free-floating barrel, for enhanced accuracy & life cycle

https://iwi.net/tavor/tavor-7/
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool features. Will have one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Very cool features. Will have one.
View Quote
I'm sure others will disagree, but after handling the T7 at GAOS last week, I would urge you to handle one first before you buy.  To me, it felt awkward when shouldered; the buttplate had some light texturing that did nothing to keep it from sliding around on my shoulder (was wearing a nylon shelled fleece lined jacket), the buttplate was pretty much vertical with no rake, and the whole thing made me feel like I was shouldering a 2x6 plank.  The trigger was decent, though the plastic felt odd; not the feel of the AUG or the MDR that I've handled in the past, and certainly not like the polymer used on AR furniture.

Again, this is subjective and opinions will vary, but I still urge you to handle one before buying.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone know if they'll end up making a free float 5.56 version?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
One can only hope.  For a long time now I've imagined a Tavor w/ free-floated, heavier-profiled but fluted barrel, field adjustable gas block w/ an "off" setting, charging handle and mag release from X95, and slightly raised OEM 1913 rail so that AR mounts will be perfect height.  If it was a 223 Wylde chamber that would be even better.  Cram all of that into a single gun, knock a pound off the SAR's weight, and call it the Tavor DMR, X95 DMR, or something like that.  I don't care about being able to switch right to left hand.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One can only hope.  For a long time now I've imagined a Tavor w/ free-floated, heavier-profiled but fluted barrel, field adjustable gas block w/ an "off" setting, charging handle and mag release from X95, and slightly raised OEM 1913 rail so that AR mounts will be perfect height.  If it was a 223 Wylde chamber that would be even better.  Cram all of that into a single gun, knock a pound off the SAR's weight, and call it the Tavor DMR, X95 DMR, or something like that.  I don't care about being able to switch right to left hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would be down for an 18" Wylde version! I think we should start a petition and send it off to IWI.. would probably get a lot of folks from the Tavor Bullpup Forum to sign off on it as well!
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
More accurate rifles are always a good thing, but I have to think IWI feels like the Tavor fills its niche well enough that the redesigns necessary aren’t cost effective for the money they’d make. I know they can make an accurate rifle, but would be surprised if we saw a Tavor redesign that wasn’t began as a military request.

I like my rifles lightweight, short, reliable, and accurate. One day a bullpup will excel at all, but for now I’ll stick to my precision SBRs and get those traits at the cost of some range (not a big deal when hunting in Oklahoma).
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:18:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That’s pretty close to my ideal rifle. A 12” SBR bullpup with a precision >1MOA barrel, with an AR height rail, X95 controls, G trigger, and 1-2lb lighter than stock SAR? Maybe tool-less return-to-zero barrels like the ARX100 to allow for quick caliber and length changes?  Whooooo be still my beating heart. One day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:52:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
More accurate rifles are always a good thing, but I have to think IWI feels like the Tavor fills its niche well enough that the redesigns necessary aren't cost effective for the money they'd make. I know they can make an accurate rifle, but would be surprised if we saw a Tavor redesign that wasn't began as a military request.

I like my rifles lightweight, short, reliable, and accurate. One day a bullpup will excel at all, but for now I'll stick to my precision SBRs and get those traits at the cost of some range (not a big deal when hunting in Oklahoma).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More accurate rifles are always a good thing, but I have to think IWI feels like the Tavor fills its niche well enough that the redesigns necessary aren't cost effective for the money they'd make. I know they can make an accurate rifle, but would be surprised if we saw a Tavor redesign that wasn't began as a military request.

I like my rifles lightweight, short, reliable, and accurate. One day a bullpup will excel at all, but for now I'll stick to my precision SBRs and get those traits at the cost of some range (not a big deal when hunting in Oklahoma).
True, but IWI seems to be willing to take risk especially when you consider their entry into the shotgun market this year and well, just the Tavor 7 itself. If they can make an accurate bullpup, it will be just salt into the wounds of Desert Tech! Considering how much R&D they've spent on the Tavor 7, I think it wouldn't cost much to get a 5.56 version going. Could potentially benefit the IDF as well..
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
308 doesn't always mean distant, think of a good pig gun where the 5.56 is some what lacking.  Being able to get in and out of vehicles with a 308 that I will be shooting 100 to maybe 200 yards with the power of a 308 sounds pretty sweet to me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#17]
The 7 is bulky and heavy for what it is...it's' nothing like the Tavor in 556 beside similar looks.

I'd say half of the people posting in this thread haven't even handled one and are making these comments.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:01:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The 7 is bulky and heavy for what it is...it's' nothing like the Tavor in 556 beside similar looks.

I'd say half of the people posting in this thread haven't even handled one and are making these comments.
View Quote
Half is pretty optimistic, considering it's not even released to market.  If it were built like a 5.56, I wouldn't buy it, let alone shoot it - that'd be suicide.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#19]
They’re up for preorder on Quantico Tactical for LE/MIL for $1681. That’s only $100 more than the X95 lists at. I’m not LE/MIL anymore, but either way that’s a very good sign pricewise.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They’re up for preorder on Quantico Tactical for LE/MIL for $1681. That’s only $100 more than the X95 lists at. I’m not LE/MIL anymore, but either way that’s a very good sign pricewise.
View Quote
There is a serious internal struggle to sell my DD5v1 before end of March in preparation for this.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There is a serious internal struggle to sell my DD5v1 before end of March in preparation for this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve always been a cheap bitch about buying these things, waiting for a deal on the EE. Pending reviews, this is one of the first big ticket rifles I’m about to just YOLO purchase at first opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone know what the latest news is on a release date for the Tavor 7?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pushed to May/June as per their FB a few days ago.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I see no one offering the 20" version, including IWI, as the 16" is the only version listed. I hope they didn't kill the longer barreled option.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I see no one offering the 20" version, including IWI, as the 16" is the only version listed. I hope they didn't kill the longer barreled option.
View Quote
If I had to guess I’d say they are offering what they think will be the most popular one first for the initial “gotta have it!” Crowd then when the assembly line is a polished machine and not brand new and looking for potential kinks then start putting out shipments of the less popular offerings periodically.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 3:32:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
.308 version of the Tavor.  It was introduced last fall and this is the 1st I've heard about it.  MSRP of $2200 they said.
View Quote
Which rock did you just crawl out from under?
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 4:05:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm sure others will disagree, but after handling the T7 at GAOS last week, I would urge you to handle one first before you buy.  To me, it felt awkward when shouldered; the buttplate had some light texturing that did nothing to keep it from sliding around on my shoulder (was wearing a nylon shelled fleece lined jacket), the buttplate was pretty much vertical with no rake, and the whole thing made me feel like I was shouldering a 2x6 plank.  The trigger was decent, though the plastic felt odd; not the feel of the AUG or the MDR that I've handled in the past, and certainly not like the polymer used on AR furniture.

Again, this is subjective and opinions will vary, but I still urge you to handle one before buying.
View Quote
You make comparisons to the AUG, MDR, and AR. How would you say the 7 compares with the other Tavor offerings, like the SAR or X95?

Either way, this is very sound advice. I, for one, have become infatuated with the idea of the TS12. However, I am not going to buy one without being able to feel it out. I almost made that mistake with the FN "tactical tuna". Thankfully, I found someone local that had one. After handling it, I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped to be.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 4:15:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

More accurate rifles are always a good thing, but I have to think IWI feels like the Tavor fills its niche well enough that the redesigns necessary aren’t cost effective for the money they’d make. I know they can make an accurate rifle, but would be surprised if we saw a Tavor redesign that wasn’t began as a military request.
View Quote
I don't think there was any military requests for the .308 or 12ga Tavors. The original TAR, the X95, and the 9mm versions were all military weapons first. Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of either the T7 or the TS12 having been a large enough military or other government agency request to justify the R&D expense. AFAIK both were pure customer request. The .300 BO kits have never been a military request, either. That was purely a move to capture market share with a popular trendy cartridge in the civilian market.

I'm sure, they weren't as simple as responses to customer requests. IWI more than likely looked into the sales records of things like the KSG, bullpup conversion kits for other shotguns before deciding to go ahead with the TS12. Likewise, in the case of the T7, they probably looked at the history of items like the RFB and conversion kits for the M14.

We aren't talking about H&K, here. IWI is a new player (relatively speaking) in the U.S. market. They put a factory in PA for the sole purpose of taking their share of the U.S. civilian firearms market in the biggest chunks that they possibly can. They are being aggressive about getting their share of that civilian market, as well. So far, they have been very different from a majority of the other foreign based companies who used U.S. subsidiaries as a way to satisfy domestic manufacturing requirements for government contracts and look at civilian sales as nothing more than a way to keep the lights on once those contracts dry up.

EDIT: The only question that remains, is how long before they announce a rimfire Tavor?
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You make comparisons to the AUG, MDR, and AR. How would you say the 7 compares with the other Tavor offerings, like the SAR or X95?

Either way, this is very sound advice. I, for one, have become infatuated with the idea of the TS12. However, I am not going to buy one without being able to feel it out. I almost made that mistake with the FN "tactical tuna". Thankfully, I found someone local that had one. After handling it, I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compared to the SAR and X95, it definitely felt larger and didn't seem as balanced.  I though the length of pull felt longer, but that could be because it was wider and my arm had to extend a little more around it to get a good grip.  You're making a good decision to handle the TS12 before buying.  It seemed ok, and the weight was less than you'd expect for something with that amount of volume.  That said, I can't see it being much more than a game gun and it certainly wouldn't be something I would use in a defensive situation *unless* it was the only shotgun I had and I had a lot of training time behind it - the manual of arms is just too different.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't think there was any military requests for the .308 or 12ga Tavors. The original TAR, the X95, and the 9mm versions were all military weapons first. Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of either the T7 or the TS12 having been a large enough military or other government agency request to justify the R&D expense. AFAIK both were pure customer request. The .300 BO kits have never been a military request, either. That was purely a move to capture market share with a popular trendy cartridge in the civilian market.

I'm sure, they weren't as simple as responses to customer requests. IWI more than likely looked into the sales records of things like the KSG, bullpup conversion kits for other shotguns before deciding to go ahead with the TS12. Likewise, in the case of the T7, they probably looked at the history of items like the RFB and conversion kits for the M14.

f[/img]
View Quote
Actually the Government of India is looking at both the Tavor 7 & the ACE for a 7.62 weapon system. They will also be building the SAR & X95 under license soon. Like many other military's that have been using the Tavor for a number of years now,  I fully expect many of these countries to start looking at the 7 as an upgrade in being able to get a bit more reach out & touch over the current 5.56 rifles in service.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Actually the Government of India is looking at both the Tavor 7 & the ACE for a 7.62 weapon system. They will also be building the SAR & X95 under license soon. Like many other military's that have been using the Tavor for a number of years now,  I fully expect many of these countries to start looking at the 7 as an upgrade in being able to get a bit more reach out & touch over the current 5.56 rifles in service.
View Quote
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a news source for the above claims?  I'd love to read more about the dysfunctional Indian small arms procurement; last I heard they're going to license produce an AR, possibly the AK century series, and maybe the Beretta ARX's.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a news source for the above claims?  I'd love to read more about the dysfunctional Indian small arms procurement; last I heard they're going to license produce an AR, possibly the AK century series, and maybe the Beretta ARX's.
View Quote
I read something about the ACE and Tavor being on the new candidate list in Janes a couple months back I believe.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#34]
WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN?!?!?!?!?!  IIRC the P-51 went from a napkin drawing to first flight in 3 months, why does it take a company so long to get a gun out?  It's not like they haven't done this before!  
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN?!?!?!?!?!  IIRC the P-51 went from a napkin drawing to first flight in 3 months, why does it take a company so long to get a gun out?  It's not like they haven't done this before!  
View Quote
The initial p51 was a lackluster plane until latter versions swapped the engine. Plus lets see civilian project where a private company needs to make a profit in a niche market versus a global war for survival where the government poured massive amounts of other peoples money into a project to get it done asap so it could be produced in bulk to serve around the world. Hmm I wonder what the difference could be .
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because there is a fraction of the number of engineers working on the Atrax as opposed to the P-51 and probably more important, we don't have two empires bent on our destruction knocking on our borders.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Because the government cleared the way for the production of the P-51 to get it into the battlefield ASAP, whereas with the Tavor 7 you are at the mercy of importation approvals of the United States Government in peacetime.

With foreign guns it is almost never the production, but rather the importation paperwork that causes the delays.  As I recall Michael Kassnar told me it took almost 2 years to get the original Tavor SAR cleared for import on the first batches, and even then the government has a tendency to create more red tape in the process.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
Shoulda known it is the damn Liberals again!  
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The initial p51 was a lackluster plane until latter versions swapped the engine. Plus lets see civilian project where a private company needs to make a profit in a niche market versus a global war for survival where the government poured massive amounts of other peoples money into a project to get it done asap so it could be produced in bulk to serve around the world. Hmm I wonder what the difference could be .
View Quote
Can't an angry old man yell at some clouds without getting lectured????

I think Sven might have a good point - they are probably ready to go but the feds are holding it back.  I don't know about you but in my bidness when someone calls me up with money in their hands I get it done ASAP so I can get paid so not sure why any other company would be different unless they are failing at the project and have nothing to ship like the MDR.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I will sell my LMT MWS to get a Tavor...pending it functions reliably...the MDR 308 craziness has me cautious to switch to a 308 bully...
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#41]
The K&M in 308 is here now. I will have one to match my 223 one day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I will sell my LMT MWS to get a Tavor...pending it functions reliably...the MDR 308 craziness has me cautious to switch to a 308 bully...
View Quote
Curious why you would do that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Good to see that they’re holding steady for July. Bummed that I’ll have to wait as I’m going to try to hold out for an FDE. That’ll give time for reviews to trickle in. I don’t expect a precision rifle, but I’m curious as to how accurate it is.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#45]
A little off topic but whats the masada pistol?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Double tap oops.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It’s their double stack polymer striker pistol, it’s very similar to the 19X/FN509/P320 Carry/etc. 4”ish barrel w/ 17+1 capacity. A lot of people seem to be getting really excited about it, but I guess I’m missing something because I don’t get what it offers over a litany of preexisting competitors.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It’s their double stack polymer striker pistol, it’s very similar to the 19X/FN509/P320 Carry/etc. 4”ish barrel w/ 17+1 capacity. A lot of people seem to be getting really excited about it, but I guess I’m missing something because I don’t get what it offers over a litany of preexisting competitors.
View Quote
Ah ok. For some reason for a split second I thought it might be somehow related to the old magpul concept that turned into the ACR. I agree on another glockish pistol not being too interesting unless it ends up being pretty cheap while good or something.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top