Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2020 10:03:12 AM EDT
Seriously considering one of these, but a little confused about the color schemes on the available rifles.  On the IWI site, the FDE shown is "all" FDE.  But on Gunbroker, for any dealer not using the original stock IWI photo, the FDE model seems combined with the black grip and fore-end to create a 2-tone look.  Is the FDE available exactly as shown on the IWI site?  Also thinking the OD green seems to be much darker in other photos besides the original IWI pic.  Pics below:

Original IWI photo:

What seems to be available:
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Every one I’ve seen has had the black forearm. It’s not a big deal, but I’d rather it all be the same color. I’d assume IWI will change it in the future, but that’s just an assumption.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, this was a silly decision on the part of IWI. As you stated, their website shows solid colors for FDE and ODG, but ships 2-tone models to distributors. I waited 6 months after initial release to order an ODG model, wanting it a fully ODG. Upon arriving at my FFL, it was 2-tone. At first I was a little pissed, but it actually grew on me. However, in seeing the FDE variant in 2-tone, I would probably prefer it be solid FDE. I'm still shocked IWI would do this. If they decided to produce 2-tone models, all they had to do was show them on their website. It's not that complicated.

Regardless, some ODG Magpul BUIS and Ladder Rail Covers balanced out the colors nicely. I'm sure the same in FDE would do the same for the FDE T7.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every one I’ve seen has had the black forearm. It’s not a big deal, but I’d rather it all be the same color. I’d assume IWI will change it in the future, but that’s just an assumption.
View Quote

Ordinarily I'd agree with you on this, but for a $2k rifle, for me it's a dealbreaker.  The black grip on the FDE rifle looks like something made by Talon grips or even skateboard tape and ruins the look of the rifle for me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ordinarily I'd agree with you on this, but for a $2k rifle, for me it's a dealbreaker.  The black grip on the FDE rifle looks like something made by Talon grips or even skateboard tape and ruins the look of the rifle for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t disagree, it’s a big enough deal that I’ve been holding off as well. I want one, and will definitely get one. I even have an FDE Elcan DR waiting patiently reserved for it. But I’m in no hurry, and it does look weird. I can only assume they were all ready to ship the other colors except that handguard and just shipped what they had. I’m hedging my bets on this being a rolling change as they cycle through the handguards. Until then, I guess I’ll just have to make due with my FN SPR, 17, MWS, OBR, and two M1A’s.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The two tone looks better to me...
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
They screwed up by showing what’s available & not providing it.
First the unsatisfactory accuracy that caused a production delay - that went unsolved other than the delay.  And now it looks like the company is trying to save a buck during production.
Was looking forward to a fde 7 too at first.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, it sounds totally petty, but I agree, I don’t want a two-tone gun.  I’m not some warfighter using what I’m issued, this is functionally a toy and if I want it to be all FDE for my $2000, that’s up to me.

If it was an option to get solid or two-tone, that’d be different, but it doesn’t seem to be.  Until I can get an all-FDE one, I’m not interested at full price.

I’ve been accumulating mags and a couple different optics, so I’ll just keep on accumulating.

ETA - and I’ve got the hots for one of those new DSA FALO rifles, so they better not take too long.

ETA2 - I emailed IWI about it. We’ll see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I emailed IWI about it. We’ll see what they have to say.
View Quote

If they answer you at all, I hope it's a non-BS answer.
My gut tells me they probably just had a parts supply delay on the front ends and used Black ones they had on hand. I notice the IWI website is selling the front ends in Black only.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ETA2 - I emailed IWI about it. We’ll see what they have to say.
View Quote

Appreciate that - standing by to hear what they come up with.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a reply from IWI's customer service:

Hi (Findsman's Real Name),

Unfortunately, as of now I don't believe the T7 will be offered in anything other than the two tone. This could change in the future, but I am not sure when that may be. Thank you.
View Quote

So looks like it's just going to be the two-tone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#11]

You got something against all black? :)
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#12]
The two-tone ODG looks a lot nicer than the two-time FDE. The FDE looks kinda janky, to me at least, but for whatever reason I kinda dig it in ODG.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
The two-tone ODG looks a lot nicer than the two-time FDE. The FDE looks kinda janky, to me at least, but for whatever reason I kinda dig it in ODG.
View Quote

I agree.  I bought one in fde but after I bought it the dealer got the next one in od green.  I wish I would have waited.  I didnt even know they made then in green.  Actually I like the black as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Findsman:
Got a reply from IWI's customer service:

So looks like it's just going to be the two-tone. 
View Quote

I was hoping they would give you an answer as to why they show solid colors on their website and ship 2-tone models to distributors, but that's wishful thinking I guess. What's done is done.

As some above have opined, I agree that the all ODG 2-tone model looks good, but the 2-tone FDE does not work for me. It definitely should be solid FDE. If they ever do a solid FDE with 18.5" barrel, I may be interested.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#15]
That is definitely not cool that they showed it as solid color, and shipped it in two-tone.

I like the two tone look. However, at $2k I would expect them to deliver the product they advertised.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for a green TS12 ... and a lefty bolt.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:03:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Just an FYI, and general gee whiz of things to keep in mind about IWI/US. While it is IWI/US, they most likely have no control over the US website photos or it’s content, or what items get sent here. It’s controlled be IWI/IS. Unfortunately it is still the same factory, mentality and type relationship that was IMI/Action Arms Philadelphia back in the 1980’s. Which means that IWI/IS does what they want, when they want, however they want. And while the Civilian or commercial US market is pretty good sized, their primary markets are the IDF military demands, foreign military contracts, foreign police sales. Even parts that are in the US will get sent back and used to fill military orders. The x95 bolt was upgraded to a 2-pin ejector due to an IDF upgrade. And the non-articulated charging handle that was not the original IDF design has been replaced with the articulated one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#18]
The Director of Sales and Marketing at IWI-USA, Jeremy Gresham, was asked why the IWI website shows the Tavor 7 in solid FDE and OD Green, while they ship out 2-tone colors. He stated, "The T7 was launched before I got here, but had yet to ship. The picture on the website is computer generated photo. Every T7 I have seen in person besides one each has been two-tone. I also think it looks better."
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#19]
If anyone cares, IWI is offering 15% off today, and they have spare Tavor 7 foregrips for $38, regularly $45.  Painting a cheap part to match probably going to make me a buyer for one sooner now.

Excellent opportunity to buy one to paint to match your non-black Tavor 7 without worrying about screwing up the one it came with.  Reading the manual, it's a super easy part to swap out.

Krylon's Camo Fusion in OD Green is a great match to Magpul's OD Green, which is pretty close to IWI's OD Green.  Supposedly their "Khaki" color is pretty close to FDE, haven't tested that one myself.  That Alumahyde II is pretty damn good too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:25:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Ironically enough I just picked up an FDE T7 because I like the two tone.
Owning a SCAR broke my need for matching colors years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top