Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 1:47:34 AM EDT
Hello,

The bead sight on my shotgun blew off while shooting. The hole does not appear threaded. I would like to thread the barrel for a replacement bead sight.

Does anyone have any tips for threading the hole without screwing it up? The barrel is for an older Wingmaster.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe Brownells has a complete kit for a reinstallation.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe Brownells has a complete kit for a reinstallation.
View Quote
The tap is either #3-56 or #4-48.  I still have the drill and tap somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The hole for the bead runs all the way through to the barrel, no rib. It's a mid 1960s Wingmaster that was a police trade in. The bead appeared to be press fit. I'm surprised the bead blew out. It was just installed at the factory.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Everything is easier to keep aligned etc if you have a mill to hold all the bits in the correct orientation.

However a tap will more or less go straight down an existing hole and in this case it is not overly important just how straight the threading is because the replacement bead sight will partially align itself with the exterior surface of the barrel.

You will need a replacement sight and the corresponding tap for the sight threads.  A proper tap wrench is also an invaluable tool for this.  The only thing I'd check on is to make sure the existing hole diameter is correct for the sight threads.  It is quite easy to look up a tap-drill size chart on the internets.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all for your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top