Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2020 8:10:13 PM EDT
I am L/E and recently started working with the Marshals Violent Fugitive TF. I'm setting up a battle belt to use and am looking for a small, indestructible utility knife.

90% of use will be for cutting small, random things like 550 cord, zip ties, etc. 10% used for prying and other things to gain access.
<1% use for survival purposes during woodland manhunts.

And even less likely use for bladed combat.

Talk me out of this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZX2F2L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cvIgFbCDENDE0

(It's a Cold Steel Drop Forged Hunter)

Also considered the Cold Steel SRK-C but I'm leaning more towards the drop forged.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had good luck with Cold Steel knives, but haven't owned this one.

Looks like it might do what you want it to, and the price is certainly acceptable.

I can't think of a single reason why you shouldn't try it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing wrong with either choice for what you outlined as the limited purpose.

I would prefer a traditional handle like the SRK-C over a hollowed grip.  That's
my only criticism and two cents.

Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I say get the SRK-C the drop forge series is heavy for their sizes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
33 bucks, get it. You can always throw it away.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd probably 550 cord the handle.
Not a fan of a freezing cold or burning hot handle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#6]
In my past I did autobody and construction. Metal handle knives are a disaster in the heat and the elements. Nothing like picking up your knife to find the "handles" are now 130° after sitting in the sun for 10 minutes. Nothing like trying to cut a wire under a dash when your hands are sweaty enough to put out a fire. Nothing like trying to cut a zip tie when it's -5° out and the blade is so cold you can feel it through two pairs of gloves.

I would advise that even with gloves, any knife with a metal handle be avoided.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my past I did autobody and construction. Metal handle knives are a disaster in the heat and the elements. Nothing like picking up your knife to find the "handles" are now 130° after sitting in the sun for 10 minutes. Nothing like trying to cut a wire under a dash when your hands are sweaty enough to put out a fire. Nothing like trying to cut a zip tie when it's -5° out and the blade is so cold you can feel it through two pairs of gloves.

I would advise that even with gloves, any knife with a metal handle be avoided.
View Quote

Won't a decent 550 wrap job mitigate this?
Perhaps a rubber under coat topped with 550 cord?
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I've have good service out of Gerger fixed blades, it's more money but I like this one: Gerber StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife with Fine Edge
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd probably 550 cord the handle.
Not a fan of a freezing cold or burning hot handle.
View Quote
I looked into these knives a couple months ago.  The only complaint I could find was about the all steel handles.  But, for the most part, people said it could be easily fixed with paracord etc.

I'm trying to not buy the CS DF Survivalist.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Grip looks way too slippery to me.   I could see my hands sliding up that handle and coming into contact with the blade.  I will also say that picking up a hot weapon in the sun is not any fun.  

I think that there are better choices out there.  I had the original SRK and I was a fan so the SRK-C could be a contender.  

Seriously, the uses you described are the things that made the KA-BAR famous.    It is an excellent general purpose knife and was used constantly by the men that fielded it.   It is also cheap enough to not cry over it if you have to replace it.  

Let us know what you decide to do.

2HUT8
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Do yourself a favor and get the handspear from Brian Hoffner. You can literally hammer it thru a door jam snd pry a door open if needed.  My dad and I both carry Hoffner knives (both retired/former LE), him a folder, me the Hand Spear. There's a few guys working Texas Military Forces branch of TXDPS (Border areas) that carry them also.  Not expensive at all and the kydex sheath is great. They are cheaper on Amazon.  I have the older model but he's made improvements such as removing scale material from the pommel and adding lanyard hole, so the price has gone up ($99 on Amazon, $139 direct) but you might want options you can only get direct.  

http://www.hoffners.com/knives/165-hoffner-hand

Mine:

Attachment Attached File

If you really wanna get crazy, try the "Beast":

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I would prefer more of a guard so my hand can't slip onto the blade, but I sure like the price, and Cold Steel is known for making quality products at reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]
ESEE will offer you a great discount, so peruse their catalog.  Tough knives and great warranty.  

They used to offer engraving for $5 extra when you ordered direct, suspect they still do, if you want to have your badge number put on.

https://www.eseeknives.com/
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#15]
The answer you seek Becker BK16

Or

Even more capabilities than required.
CRKT Rune
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#16]
For your line of work, you need something more like this:Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#17]
52100 drop forged is gonna be hard to beat especially if it’s got a differential temper.  Custom knife maker Ed Fowler has been forging blades out of 52100 for decades and makes some of the toughest working blades out there.

https://www.edfowler.com/index.php/the-steel
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#18]
If you really want something that your hand wont slip on... I've been using one of these for a while for utility/camping. Handle is very aggressive and i sanded it and dipped it in plasti-dip  to moderate it a bit. Molle sheath witha pouch that fits my gerber multi-tool. 2125kv, i think there are two sizes.

Attachment Attached File

Mine looks like crap bc i beat the hell out of it. Just stoned a chip out of the edge. Considering what i did that caused the chip, I'd say the steel is good.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Are you dead set on a fixed blade?
There are some nice folders out there that have built in belt cutters and glass breakers, plus if you will be cutting cordage, serrations are handy.
Kershaw barricade
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and get the handspear from Brian Hoffner. You can literally hammer it thru a door jam snd pry a door open if needed.  My dad and I both carry Hoffner knives (both retired/former LE), him a folder, me the Hand Spear. There's a few guys working Texas Military Forces branch of TXDPS (Border areas) that carry them also.  Not expensive at all and the kydex sheath is great. They are cheaper on Amazon.  I have the older model but he's made improvements such as removing scale material from the pommel and adding lanyard hole, so the price has gone up ($99 on Amazon, $139 direct) but you might want options you can only get direct.  

http://www.hoffners.com/knives/165-hoffner-hand

Mine:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300247/20200708_101324_jpg-1518670.JPG

If you really wanna get crazy, try the "Beast":

https://www.hoffners.com/3209/163.jpg
View Quote

That hand spear reminds me of an old Camillus Cuda Fixed Blade.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am L/E and recently started working with the Marshals Violent Fugitive TF. I'm setting up a battle belt to use and am looking for a small, indestructible utility knife.

90% of use will be for cutting small, random things like 550 cord, zip ties, etc. 10% used for prying and other things to gain access.
<1% use for survival purposes during woodland manhunts.

And even less likely use for bladed combat.

Talk me out of this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZX2F2L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cvIgFbCDENDE0

(It's a Cold Steel Drop Forged Hunter)

Also considered the Cold Steel SRK-C but I'm leaning more towards the drop forged.

Thanks.
View Quote
So OP, it's been a month or so:  What did you decide, what did you get?

And, of course:

Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Why would we do something silly like that?  

buy it
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
52100 drop forged is gonna be hard to beat especially if it’s got a differential temper.  Custom knife maker Ed Fowler has been forging blades out of 52100 for decades and makes some of the toughest working blades out there.

https://www.edfowler.com/index.php/the-steel
View Quote

Oh great. We got another one....
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So OP, it's been a month or so:  What did you decide, what did you get?

And, of course:

View Quote

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top