Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2022 12:37:54 AM EDT
I’ve had this custom m1a since the late 2000’s. The stock on it is a JAE-100 and the optic is a 6.5-20 Leupold mk4. The rifle as it sits shoots amazing and has been rock solid. I had a spot super close to my house where I could shoot 300m but the property was sold. Now my new spot is 50m. I enjoy the rifle but it’s not getting used. My thought is to sell off the stock and scope and go with a wood stock and red dot. I’ll get more use out of the rifle in the new configuration but I’ll be giving up my only long(ish) range rifle.  I’m leaning towards selling my stock and optic but the nagging voice in my head is saying leave well enough alone.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:49:47 AM EDT
[#1]
What the hell good is it if you're never gonna shoot it?

Better to wear out than rust out -- plus you practice with it.

Keep as-is if you're planning on moving somewhere with wide open spaces and ranges.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]
we have more than 50m indoors here in CA. step up your training area.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:22:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I literally made this same choice about a year ago and do not regret it. I wanted to go back to basics with the rifle, but was worried I'd miss the stock. I don't.

Sold the JAE for $950ish and put the scope on a AR. I bought a Fulton Armory set, Tru Oiled the stock, and have stuck with irons since then. Maybe someday I go to a red dot, but I like it as a basic rifle.

Just fyi, it looks like MDT might be picking up the JAE line, so now's a good time before the market gets flooded.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#4]
FO!  There are two schools of thought.. never sell anything, or reduce and replace.  I like the latter.  Go buy a SCAR.  They are choice.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I literally made this same choice about a year ago and do not regret it. I wanted to go back to basics with the rifle, but was worried I'd miss the stock. I don't.

Sold the JAE for $950ish and put the scope on a AR. I bought a Fulton Armory set, Tru Oiled the stock, and have stuck with irons since then. Maybe someday I go to a red dot, but I like it as a basic rifle.

Just fyi, it looks like MDT might be picking up the JAE line, so now's a good time before the market gets flooded.
View Quote
I put a scope on mine and ended up taking it off. I shoot well with the irons, and I don't know, putting an optic on it changes the classic lines of the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
FPNI

Do you have anything else that can be a long range rifle? Does it fill a possible need?

If its not the primary long range stick change it and shoot the heck out of it! I always liked shooting without a scope with the M1A, faster and fun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I put a scope on mine and ended up taking it off. I shoot well with the irons, and I don't know, putting an optic on it changes the classic lines of the rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a QD suppressor mount with mine. Being a beautiful wood stock with classic M14 features, and then a can hanging off the end really throws people for a loop.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m inclined to say sell the stock move the scope to a bolt action. The red dot on an M1a is a valid choice .  Aimpoint 9000L  Zero at 200 yds.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Jesus, $950.
Lol, if I was on the fence that pushed me off of it.  Stocks in very good shape and I think I still have the box for it. Y’all think $600 would be fair?

It is the only LR rifle I have now but I am working on a bolt gun. So something will be there to fill that role.

I got very spoiled with the range across the road, lol. There are public range options in my area but I prefer private land.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Jesus, $950.
Lol, if I was on the fence that pushed me off of it.  Stocks in very good shape and I think I still have the box for it. Y’all think $600 would be fair?

It is the only LR rifle I have now but I am working on a bolt gun. So something will be there to fill that role.

I got very spoiled with the range across the road, lol. There are public range options in my area but I prefer private land.
View Quote

600 is a steal and resell price.

If it's in that great shape and it's not either wacky colors or personalized, 900+ is the norm.

Edit, mine was a G2. No info on the G1, but the G3s sell a little better. I'd say put it up on GB for 800+ starting 1000 BIN and see where it goes. Might take a few weeks since it's a niche crowd looking for them, but someone will come around.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Red dot on an M14/M1A is

Go for that or iron sights and be happy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

600 is a steal and resell price.

If it's in that great shape and it's not either wacky colors or personalized, 900+ is the norm.

Edit, mine was a G2. No info on the G1, but the G3s sell a little better. I'd say put it up on GB for 800+ starting 1000 BIN and see where it goes. Might take a few weeks since it's a niche crowd looking for them, but someone will come around.
View Quote

Appreciate the advice.

Aimpoint here I come!
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:50:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a 2X Aimpoint on one, hated it.  Went with a 2-7x scout scope and liked it more.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I am all for the iron sight and wood/steel combo. Call me old school, but it's fun to get back to the basic. M1A/M14 shooting iron sight @ 300m or yds. are very doable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#15]
That JAE will move no matter what. 750-900 for sure. They're unicorns especially for guys wanting a chassis without going to a sage or blackfeather where you need to swap ORGs. I LOVE my socom/red dot combo. Get an ultimak or m14.CA scout hand guard, aimpoint mounted as low as you can and enjoy the piss out of it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#16]
You may not give up any precision when you swap into a wood stock. Could be pleasantly surprised.

I've got a medium weight NM barreled M14 in a plain USGI walnut stock and it does .75 MOA with reloads, about 1 MOA with 168gr FGMM.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought an M1A standard with a JAE stock on it.

It made a small difference in accuracy, but not as much as you’d think.  

I put a wood stock on it as I prefer the looks and the feel of it.  An M1A with a M14 style wood stock points extremely well.

I’ll most likely sell the JAE stock.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I prefer wooden stocks, and have grown fond of the original T44 stocks that use the Garand buttplate.  Rather than the "flapper" buttplate of the M14.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#19]
But "the shoulder thing that goes up" triggers the haters.

That's a nice stock set! Did you slot that wood handguard yourself? Never seen one like that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
But "the shoulder thing that goes up" triggers the haters.

That's a nice stock set! Did you slot that wood handguard yourself? Never seen one like that.
View Quote

Yes.  Did the slotting myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top