Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2020 8:29:06 AM EDT
I've been having the itch for a new lever gun and always liked the looks of the Winchester 1895. I've found a new made Miroku in 30-06 for a fair price, but I'm concerned about the loading of it. I've watched a few youtube videos and it appears that it's fairly slow to reload... I know that for rimmed cartridges like the 30-40 or the 405 have to be pushed straight down on their casehead and then slid under feed lips and then pushed down into the mag.

Does anyone know if the 30-06 variants can just be pushed down like a bolt action box mag or does the same, somewhat clumsy dance described above have to be done with rimless cartridges?

Also, if y'all have any experiences with the 1895 one way or the other, I'd love to hear them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#1]

I've got a little experience with the later runs of Winchester/Miroku 1895's. They are easy to load, as fast as any bling magazine bolt gun and much faster than a tube fed levergun. Its awkward when you read about or or watch a video but very easy in practice. Yes you can push the rounds straight down on a .30-06 bit I dont to be easier on the magazine. And once one round is loaded in the mag it's easier to load the magazine "corectly" rather than try to shove a .30-06 round straight down into a single stack mag while trying to keep the round balanced on the previously loaded round.

Confused yet?

I love the new 1895's I just wish they'd do more SRC versions. The .30-06 should come with a 1:10 twist barrel. Mine shoots 180 and 220 grain round nose bullets very well. The action is big but it feels like a bank vault locking up when the bolt closes. All of mine have been very smooth right out of the box.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.

Do you have experience shooting them with the basic buckhorn sights? I see your rifles have the ladder sights on them.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a fairly new 1895 rifle version in .30-06. It was made in 1984 by Browning. Smoothest cycling rifle I have. The down side is the steel butt plate. Kicks like a mule. And the thin forend is held on with one screw, which for me sits right in the palm of the hand and transmits heat from the barrel very quickly. So gloves and a thick jacket for shooting.

You asked if it is slow to reload. Guess you could say it is, but after rapidly shooting four or five shots you would want to give your shoulder a rest anyway. Would like to fit a tang site to it one day.

Never see selling it as it is one of the lever guns models that I always wanted, just not an original production run model.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.

Do you have experience shooting them with the basic buckhorn sights? I see your rifles have the ladder sights on them.

View Quote

All my 1895's are the carbines so they all came with ladder sights. I have a couple reproduction Lyman 21 sights but havent gotten around to mounting any of them yet.
With factory Herters 180 grin RN or Rem 220 grain CoreLokt my .30-06 is a sub 2MOA gun. Its shown improvement with handloads but I havent fiddled with it enough to be satisfied yet. Both my .30-40's seem to have definite preferences to hmdloading.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The older (original Winchester) ones in 30US and 30-03/06, and the 7.62x54r were all intended to be loaded with stripper clips.... fast it is, so long as you shoot 'till empty.  

There is so much leverage in the action that it's quite possible to chamber (and fire) an 8mm Mauser in the 30-06.... older gunsmith friend of mine saw this several times in his career, and usually the only damage was a slight springing of the receiver, which was very fixable.... testament to the strength of the action.

Play Teddy Roosevelt and get one in " big medicine" 405!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The older (original Winchester) ones in 30US and 30-03/06, and the 7.62x54r were all intended to be loaded with stripper clips.... fast it is, so long as you shoot 'till empty.  
View Quote

The only 1895's set up for stripper clips from the factory were Russin contract 7.62x54R though some guns came back and were converted or sporterized. There is a noticable cut on both sides of the reciever (externally) for the stripper clip guides.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Browning 1895 in .30-06, it is not hard to load.  As cited above the steel but plate is obnoxious.  I had a Pachmyr decellerator butt pad installed and kept the LOP the same, had a Williams peep sight drilled and tapped into the receiver, which necessitated a taller front sight to get it to zero without being at the limit.  With all that done I really like this rifle.  I have not been able to get 220gr bullets to group well but 150 and 180 work great.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I’d love one in 7.62x54
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The only 1895's set up for stripper clips from the factory were Russin contract 7.62x54R though some guns came back and were converted or sporterized. There is a noticable cut on both sides of the reciever (externally) for the stripper clip guides.
View Quote

My recent find, a .30-Gov't-06 takedown made in 1924. Only had to replace the broken hammer spring:

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#10]
You could become an ARFcom legend and buy this one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871384844
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top