Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2018 8:37:51 PM EDT
I recently got a Tac-14 20 gauge from PSA.  The only other shotgun I have is a full length 870 in 12 gauge so I didn't know much about these.  The gun looks similar to the 12 gauge Tac-14 and comes with the exact same bird's head grip and Magpul for-end.  Since the 20 gauge receiver is smaller they ship the gun with metal plate adapter that allows the 12 gauge "stock" to fit into the smaller receiver.  I believe it is the one from Mesa Tactical.

The magazine tube is also a smaller diameter than what the Magpul for-end was designed for so they put a plastic tube around it to increase the outer diameter.

I bought a 12 gauge ribbed wooden fore-end from Boyd's and fit it to my gun.  Out of the box it did not fit properly (the fore-end would slide off past the locking nut).  It took some length trimming of the plastic tube that increases the magazine diameter and I also had to use some 1" internal locking rings with the lugs cut off to allow the fore-end nut to have adequate purchase on the wood.

For the grip I used the supplied bird's head grip as a template and cut down a wood 870 stock:

I used hand rasps and files to shape the contour to approximately what the supplied grip has.  The end that fits into the stock adapter needed a small radius as well.

Here it is after sanding and staining.  Still need to apply some BLO and I might increase the radius on the back to match the polymer grip but this feels pretty comfortable as is:

Sadly it is only a 4+1 capacity and I can't find any +1 magazine extensions for 20 gauge even though numerous options exist for 12 gauge.  Anyone know of a +1 20 gauge extension?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it. You need to rough up the forearm.  It's to shiny compared to the grip.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like it. You need to rough up the forearm.  It's to shiny compared to the grip.
View Quote
I put some BLO on the grip since taking the pics and it will hopefully give a bit of luster to it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:28:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice.

Now for your next trick, hang cut some checkering in there!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty cool.  Just curious though, wouldn't it have been easier to just buy a 20ga stock and forend?  Then you wouldn't have to monkey around with the forend sleeve, and you could leave off the Lucy adapter for the stock.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pretty cool.  Just curious though, wouldn't it have been easier to just buy a 20ga stock and forend?  Then you wouldn't have to monkey around with the forend sleeve, and you could leave off the Lucy adapter for the stock.
View Quote
Tag for info on this question.

Not that there's anything wrong with the Lucy, mind you, but starting with a 20 ga. stock would be .... well, prettier.  

Had a 12 ga. set laying around, maybe?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Tag for info on this question.

Not that there's anything wrong with the Lucy, mind you, but starting with a 20 ga. stock would be .... well, prettier.  

Had a 12 ga. set laying around, maybe?
View Quote
Yeah I had a spare 12 ga stock and I couldn't find a 20 ga for-end in the style I wanted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top