Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2017 7:29:03 PM EDT
Are they a seal eater?

I’m on my third set of breech seals and third piston seal in leads than 1500 rounds. I put a Maccari tune kit in it and I noticed the seal seemed very worn. So I ordered an oversized seal and it seems to fit well. I haven’t put it through the chrono yet but my velocity was down to around 500fps with a 14.3gr pellet.  When the seals were new I was getting 625fps with the same pellet. I think that was anemic too. So the larger seal hopefully solves the issue. As far as eating breech  seals I take that with the mechanics of the gun.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What ftp are you shooting at ? Before the seals went.

It might pay to join a airgun forum where they will be more specific.

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/ is proberbly the best one in england.( theres a couple of mericans on it aswel )

Atb
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What ftp are you shooting at ? Before the seals went.

It might pay to join a airgun forum where they will be more specific.

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/ is proberbly the best one in england.( theres a couple of mericans on it aswel )

Atb
View Quote
I was getting around 625fps. I thought that wa soretty crappy too. Even when new it was shooting that with factory guts. Everything I’ve read shows that most get around 700ish with a factory gun and these pellets. I think the gun was slow from the start. Maybe a bad cylinder? Who knows but I will see how it shoots and go from there. I will say it is superbly accurate though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#3]
All I know about them is from reading and youtube videos. They do appear to be extremely accurate, which seems to go hand in hand with lower powered springers.
There's lots of hard to shoot powerful springers, so it seems to be a trade off. For instance, I have a Walther Parrus .22. It can shoot small groups but it's up to the shooter to do everything right and the same every time, which is difficult.
In return for that it sends 14.3 grain pellets out at 865 fps, which is a bit of smackdown. Headshots on birds at 25+ yards would be iffy, body shots no problem. IMO, its got enough oompf to do plenty of damage for those.
Oh, its freaking heavy to start, with a scope it's almost ridiculous, but I don't regret buying it, it's a thumper.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 2:32:16 AM EDT
[#4]
There’s some issue with the cocking shoes in these guns having a little too much slip which allows for a loose lock up on the breech seals and when the gun is fired the piston slams the cylinder forward just enough to smash the seals up.

There’s after market cocking shoes or I can shim this one. Looking back at my log books and I was getting 700 from this gun when I first installed the tune kit. Anyway it has a new set of seals and I’m sure it will be fine for another couple thousand rounds. Maybe the oversized piston seal is the ticket. I have read there are some larger cylinder guns out there and a little bigger seal has made a out of difference. The loose fitting seals let hot air back past and eat them up and the one I took out this evening looked a little rough around the edges compared to the new and it seemed very loose in the cylinder too.

I know that 500fps is really low in this gun for a 14gr pellet. I don’t want a powerhouse and I know it’s abtrade off but 675-700 is not out of the range of reality for this gun.  Like i said it was shooting 700s when the guts were new.

It will take quite a few rounds to get settled in again so hopefully I get the time to work through it. It’s a fabulous gun and incredibly accurate.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 2:50:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Those are expensive guns, is there a warranty or service center that can fix these issues? For what they cost I'd almost expect perfection and long trouble free life.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Those are expensive guns, is there a warranty or service center that can fix these issues? For what they cost I'd almost expect perfection and long trouble free life.
View Quote
True. The design of the cocking mechanism is inherently flawed and leaves the opportunity to eat up breech seals. Even thought they are expensive, they are still mass produced products so manufacturers tolerances are not exactly down to the .0001”.  It usually takes a little tinkering to get the most from any factory spring gun.

It shoots well but for whatever reason I ate up the piston and breech seals pretty quick.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
That still sounds very premature for a seal failure on a TX200.

It sounds like you have no choice but to start debugging the rig yet again.

This time, if you don't see any obvious reasons for that rapid failure, I would consider letting an experienced air-gunsmith take a look at it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That still sounds very premature for a seal failure on a TX200.

It sounds like you have no choice but to start debugging the rig yet again.

This time, if you don't see any obvious reasons for that rapid failure, I would consider letting an experienced air-gunsmith take a look at it.
View Quote
Yeah definitely.  My breech seals were mashed to bits. Literally they were flattened.  I plan on getting some chrono numbers soon.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:37:24 AM EDT
[#9]
What part of the country you live in determines if you are looking at a drive or mail in proposition.

I’m lucky enough to live near some very talented air gun guys and I also travel enough for work to get near the others if needed.

I had Tim at Mac-1 upgrade my HW97 last time and couldn’t be happier.

I’m going to have him rebuild my TX200 SR the next time it needs work, which will take a long time if it is like any other TX.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Got some through the chrono today. Average is 576 with FTS gold pellets 14.7gr. and I’m at 2100’ AGL so I gained quite a bit and I probably will be in the high 600 or low 700s at sea level and a few hundred rounds to break in the seals. Was at sea level shooting 500-510fps.

If I eat these up I’ll send it out to have the cylinder honed and new  delrin guides.

Sure is accurate. I can stack pellets at 20yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top