Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2017 8:12:41 AM EDT
Have a new Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor. My preference is to rebarrel this in 260 Remington...mostly for convenience as I have other rifles in 260 and am set up to reload the 260. Anyway, has anyone got the threading specs for the T/C? Before I pull it apart i would like to prep the new barrel.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not know the TC thread.  sorry.

Question:  Why not remove the existing barrel, drop a reamer in, and rechamber the same barrel to 260?  A lot less work....

Fro
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless the barrel is free...

It's a $250 rifle.. and the 6.5 is hot right now...

I'm sure you can sell it and purchase a new one
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do not know the TC thread.  sorry.

Question:  Why not remove the existing barrel, drop a reamer in, and rechamber the same barrel to 260?  A lot less work....

Fro
View Quote
@Frozenny

Here you go:

Sub MOA rifle for less than $200: T/C Compass

One of the new owners (MattR) of a Compass rifle decided to paint the stock; here is how it came out:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe the OP is on the FB group I'm in as this same question was asked and I said the same thing you said.  It's more cost effective to buy the rifle you want as the TC rifle is their budget line.  Not sure why some folks want to try to reinvent the whee.

You buy a budget rifle for just that budget purposes.  If you want a DIY rifle...you get a Savage it's as simple as that.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless the barrel is free...

It's a $250 rifle.. and the 6.5 is hot right now...

I'm sure you can sell it and purchase a new one
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#6]
RE: reaming the barrel on a Compass:

- I believe it is a melonited / tennifer / nitrided steel barrel - like those used on all Glocks and most budget ARs these days (like the S&W ARs).

That technology obviously WORKS and works very well.  However, the nitriding process does not go 100% through the steel.  Therefore, if you try to re-chamber a Compass, you risk reaming right through the nitrided surface.

For OP's purposes, I suggest buying a Savage and re-barreling that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top