Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2021 11:28:46 AM EDT
Guys what synthetic stock should I get for my M14? I am looking for one in O.D. Green but no luck. Should I get a USGI stock or a stock from Springfield Armory?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#1]
USGI stock is the only way to fly (short of dishing out the $$$ for a McMillan).  USGI Fiberglass is STIFF & Weather Resistant.  Good for Accuracy.

The Springfield stock is a cheap PLASTIC that you can twist with your bare hands - a cheap flexible plastic stock is NOT a benefit to Accuracy.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#3]
A USGI fiberglass stock also puts the correct amount of pressure on the front ferrule too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I am curious.  When did Springfield stop using the painted USGI fiberglass stock?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#5]
They probably ran out out of their source for them, remember these stocks haven’t been made for decades. It boggles  my mind why SAI or Bula hasn’t made an effort to copy the USGI synthetic stock. It really, really boggles my mind why no one has made one with an adjustable cheek piece. I know, I know McM but I’m talking about an improvement to the USGI stock not a full blown heavy match stock.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They probably ran out out of their source for them, remember these stocks haven’t been made for decades. It boggles  my mind why SAI or Bula hasn’t made an effort to copy the USGI synthetic stock. It really, really boggles my mind why no one has made one with an adjustable cheek piece. I know, I know McM but I’m talking about an improvement to the USGI stock not a full blown heavy match stock.
View Quote

If I remember correctly the original fiberglass stocks cost Uncle Sam a fortune to develop and manufacture. They were made by General Tire and Rubber.  McMillan currently makes upgraded stocks including the USMC M14 DMR M2A stocks which have both a pistol grip and an adjustable cheek riser.

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why? With the advancements with polymers, why go back to fiberglass? Those aftermarket carbon fiber stocks were, IMO, the best ever produced for a standard M14 type stock. Sadly, the company didn't make them for very long.

As far as the USGI fiberglass stocks. I guess I never owned a good one. Some were warped, the checkering damaged, Etc. I've owned McMillians.. Heavy.

I don't understand why the polymer Springfield synthetic stock gets a bad rap. Once it's corked, there is very little forearm movement, unless slung up tight, and by corking, you get excellent draw pressure.

I've messed with these stocks for a long time. Walnut/ or the SAI polymer for me. Perhaps' someday the CF stocks will make a comeback.

AG Composites Carbon Fiber M1A stock (Durability Test)
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why? With the advancements with polymers, why go back to fiberglass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8StdVwDVQ
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? With the advancements with polymers, why go back to fiberglass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8StdVwDVQ

Because the synthetic stocks that SAI ships with their rifles are flimsy and are shit. Maybe they shouldn’t go back to fiberglass but the USGI synthetic stock is stiffer than then stocks SAI ships now. Surely an improvement can be made that doesn’t cost $800....
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I may have a fiberglass stock laying around if you want me to check. I sold my LRB a few years ago.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I am good on a stock. Bigger_hammer took care of me. Thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top