Posted: 11/29/2023 8:04:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 9:56:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R2point0] [#1]
Nevermind - bad advice deleted.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R2point0:
FFL03 expired? Chuck your bound book, apply for the license as new, not a renewal. Start new bound book.
View Quote
ATF will call and ask for the bound book to be turned in.  Don't fuck around with this.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 11:16:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R2point0] [#3]
Originally Posted By wildearp:

ATF will call and ask for the bound book to be turned in.  Don't fuck around with this.
View Quote
I thought that was only for FFL01's?
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MRW:
I just realized that my 03 FFL expired October 1.  The ATF sent no renewal notice or communication of any kind.

Is this how they purge us?
View Quote
In my opinion yes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wildearp:

Nope.

But just like the check, it's in the mail.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Nope.

View Quote
Huh, learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

By hoping you don't see the printed expiration date on your FFL? Seems like a bold plan...
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
You are absolutely NOT required to turn in your bound book when you surrender your C&R FFL.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-licensed-collectors-required-turn-their-ad-records-atf-if-they-discontinue-their

Are licensed collectors required to turn in their A&D records to ATF if they discontinue their collecting activity?

No. Licensed collectors are not required to submit their acquisition and disposition (A&D) records to ATF upon discontinuance of their collecting activity.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't assign malice to what can be explained by typical government incompetence. They probably just forgot to notify you or the mailman ate it or something. As a 03 Curio and Relic FFL you aren't required to send your bound book to the BATFE, you can retain it for your own records or destroy it. If you reapply for a 03 FFL you will be issued a new FFL number and will need to start a new bound book.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I just realized that my 03 FFL expired October 1.  The ATF sent no renewal notice or communication of any kind.
View Quote

Cool. Maybe you can apply for a new license and burn your old log book.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NAM:
You are absolutely NOT required to turn in your bound book when you surrender your C&R FFL.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-licensed-collectors-required-turn-their-ad-records-atf-if-they-discontinue-their

Are licensed collectors required to turn in their A&D records to ATF if they discontinue their collecting activity?

No. Licensed collectors are not required to submit their acquisition and disposition (A&D) records to ATF upon discontinuance of their collecting activity.
View Quote
Huh. Guess I was wrong.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:

By hoping you don't see the printed expiration date on your FFL? Seems like a bold plan...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:

You sir...............  I salute you.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I got my renewal notice around May for late July expiration (this year).  Renewal took just a couple of weeks, same as before.

Rob
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#14]
In the OP’s case, if he were to reapply and get a new FFL, could he just rip out the pages from his book and log them into the same book but have the receipt name be his old FFL number or simply their name and address?

I’m really asking here, if you acquire firearms with one 03, it expires, you get a new 03, and the same firearms are still in your collection, do those firearms sit in a limbo state gone from record keeping or do they need to be logged into your new 03?
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Mitchman705:
In the OP’s case, if he were to reapply and get a new FFL, could he just rip out the pages from his book and log them into the same book but have the receipt name be his old FFL number or simply their name and address?

I’m really asking here, if you acquire firearms with one 03, it expires, you get a new 03, and the same firearms are still in your collection, do those firearms sit in a limbo state gone from record keeping or do they need to be logged into your new 03?
View Quote

You only log stuff in you acquired under a particular license. You would not have to log in firearms you acquired under a previous license (other than a license renewel). The exception is if you sell an item that was previously acquired. In that case you log it into your bound book from yourself and then out to the purchaser. Yes it is a work around if you worry about the ATF knowing what you have but I would not recommend abusing this.  I have had different C&R FFLs over time but there was a break of 4-5 years between them. If you are picked for a C&R audit, all they want to see is the activity that occurred under your current license.

Link Posted: 12/1/2023 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I think the key words are “collection activity”. If you don’t renew, they want your bound book. I just got a letter this summer stating if I didn’t renew my 03 FFL, they wanted all my records. At least that’s how I read the letter. So, I just sent them a check for $30.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:22:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#17]
Originally Posted By Shadyman:

I think the key words are “collection activity”. If you don’t renew, they want your bound book. I just got a letter this summer stating if I didn’t renew my 03 FFL, they wanted all my records. At least that’s how I read the letter. So, I just sent them a check for $30.
View Quote

Mind posting a redacted copy of that letter? I believe it to be incorrect, erroneous, or improperly interpreted.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

This. You do not send in you book.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Mind posting a redacted copy of that letter? I believe it to be incorrect, erroneous, or improperly interpreted.
View Quote

Would like to see this letter as well. It even says on the renewal form that if you are not renewing you are NOT required to submit your book.

Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:52:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#20]
I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th license. There's been a few years gap on all of them.  Never have gotten a "we want your bound book" letter
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:40:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#22]
It just comes down to jurisdictions and proper training.  There are some noobs or poorly trained agents that simply don't know the difference between an 01 and 03 license requirements.  Not a problem in every state.

As for the mail issue, I had a license never make it to my mailbox.  I called ATF and they e-mailed me one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Nope.

View Quote

@JAG2955

03 FFL holders DO NOT turn in their A&D books when they cease using their C&R license.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Tazaroo:

@JAG2955

03 FFL holders DO NOT turn in their A&D books when they cease using their C&R license.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tazaroo:
Nope.

@JAG2955

Yep, I was already corrected.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep, I was already corrected.
View Quote

sorry…..I should have kept scrolling
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Shadyman:

View Quote

I am sure they do "want" you records.  Too bad they don't have any right to get them after you don't renew.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:06:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#27]
Keep your expired license or at least a copy of it; when you apply for a new FFL ATF will ask if you had an FFL previously and what the number was.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I think there is some confusion on C&R bound book records needing to be turned in due to that being part of the proposed "Frame-Receiver" rule changes.  I don't know if that part made it into the final ruling, or if it even matters now that the ruling had been struck down (last I knew).  That ruling changed the 20 destruction period for FFLs to a permanent retention and turn-in when giving up the license.  Including C&R type 03 licenses.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:15:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I just got my renewal packet last week.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By kbailey3:
I think there is some confusion on C&R bound book records needing to be turned in due to that being part of the proposed "Frame-Receiver" rule changes.  I don't know if that part made it into the final ruling, or if it even matters now that the ruling had been struck down (last I knew).  That ruling changed the 20 destruction period for FFLs to a permanent retention and turn-in when giving up the license.  Including C&R type 03 licenses.
View Quote

I just got my 03 renewal packet.  It still specifically states on the renewal form that if you elect not to renew and let it expire, 03 C&R FFLs aren't required to send in their bound books.

See the middle "Not Renewing" section on the below example of the form.  Underneath the bound book turn-in mailing address, it states: Collectors of Curios and Relics are NOT required to send their firearms records to the ATF

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top