Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2022 11:44:14 AM EDT
I'm in the market for my first suppressor and from my "research" (Google sleuthing) have narrowed down the parameters that I consider important in my use case. I'm looking for something on the lighter side, decent flash suppression, and has less blowback/back pressure. I'm less concerned about DB/sound reduction than the other metrics. With QD capability would be ideal, but I'm considering this for my 13.7" which limits my potential mounting options unless I also go with the SBR route or pistol configuration. So far, I'm most intrigued by the OSS design mainly because the Haley Strategic D5 course I took over the summer I saw lots of malfunctions from people who had suppressors, but the dude with an OSS's rifle performed flawlessly. I understand that whatever can I get I'll likely need to do some tuning/messing with my buffer set up (A5H2 currently). What suppressors would yinz recommend aside from the OSS, or would you second that as the choice? Price range is ideally under $1,000 but with all of the quad pay/pay over time options I'd be willing to go above that as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
OSS makes great cans. Only used one briefly but I liked it. Only can I have a lot of experience with is a Sandman S and I feel like back pressure isn't an issue for me. I'm sure it also has to do with gas system and buffer so I wouldn't put all that on the can.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Less blowback could mean more flash if the design is over-bored. Open tine FH front caps will help to reduce residual flash that gets through the can.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Shot my buddy’s OSS, and it was amazing.  Surefire is another brand to look at for low back pressure, the RC2 is an excellent performer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm in the market for my first suppressor and from my "research" (Google sleuthing) have narrowed down the parameters that I consider important in my use case. I'm looking for something on the lighter side, decent flash suppression, and has less blowback/back pressure. I'm less concerned about DB/sound reduction than the other metrics.
View Quote
Smart!  You have done your research. Most potential new suppressor buyers don't get this.

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Less blowback could mean more flash if the design is over-bored. Open tine FH front caps will help to reduce residual flash that gets through the can.
View Quote
How about the CGS Helios QD?

CGS says: "The generous .36 bore significantly reduces back pressure and muzzle flash while also allowing the suppressor to be used with multiple calibers."

https://cgsgroup.com/product/helios-qd/
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

CGS says: "The generous .36 bore significantly reduces back pressure and muzzle flash while also allowing the suppressor to be used with multiple calibers."

View Quote

Hadn't heard of this one yet, thanks for the suggestion seems worth considering.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I am an FFL/SOT and have shot everything you can imagine. I only use OSS now. I have the 556 full size and the K can.

I also have Surefires in the full size and mini, and I only use them to demonstrate how terrible every other kind of baffle type suppressor is and why they need to get an OSS. Surefire is supposed to have the least blow back of any baffle design, and they still suck really bad.

OSS just needs to make a short .30 can that is around 6.5" long and I will be set. Everyone contact them and request this.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am an FFL/SOT and have shot everything you can imagine. I only use OSS now. I have the 556 full size and the K can.

I also have Surefires in the full size and mini, and I only use them to demonstrate how terrible every other kind of baffle type suppressor is and why they need to get an OSS. Surefire is supposed to have the least blow back of any baffle design, and they still suck really bad.

OSS just needs to make a short .30 can that is around 6.5" long and I will be set. Everyone contact them and request this.
View Quote

If OSS would join the growing club of mfrs that utilize 1.375x24 rear threads for mount modularity, they'd see a lot more sales. And if their cans weren't so (relatively) heavy. The 556-K can is 15.3oz, the full size 556 can is 17.5oz. Even their Ti cans are heavy with the 556-Ti at 13.1oz and the 762-Ti is 14.5oz. For comparison, a Nomad-Ti is only 0.7" shorter (while having a larger diameter) and only weighs 9.8oz
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If OSS would join the growing club of mfrs that utilize 1.375x24 rear threads for mount modularity, they'd see a lot more sales. And if their cans weren't so (relatively) heavy. The 556-K can is 15.3oz, the full size 556 can is 17.5oz. Even their Ti cans are heavy with the 556-Ti at 13.1oz and the 762-Ti is 14.5oz. For comparison, a Nomad-Ti is only 0.7" shorter (while having a larger diameter) and only weighs 9.8oz
View Quote

Yes. They have no excuse for not offering 1.375x24 rear threads.

However, I think the weight penalty is due to their complicated baffle-less flow design. It's a trade-off.

https://osssuppressors.com/about/

Edit: Though come to think of it, their muzzle device might be proprietary for flow reasons as well. I don't think they do direct thread either, do they?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes. They have no excuse for not offering 1.375x24 rear threads.

However, I think the weight penalty is due to their complicated baffle-less flow design. It's a trade-off.

https://osssuppressors.com/about/
View Quote

I can mitigate backpressure/blowback by regulating gas (whether it be by AGB, BRT tube, etc). I can't do anything about weight.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I can mitigate backpressure/blowback by regulating gas (whether it be by AGB, BRT tube, etc). I can't do anything about weight.
View Quote
Sure. there's more that one way to accomplish that goal.

I think OSS is kind of going with a turnkey solution that avoids the need for gun mods.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]
After reading and watching reviews I ordered the OSS 7.62. I don't have it yet and the weight was my only concern, but since most shooting is done from a bench I decided it didn't matter and why I didn't pony up for the slightly lighter Ti version. I guess we'll see. However, It's not much heavier than lots of other options and I have a Nomad Ti for lightweight needs/uses.

I agree that it would be great if OSS would adopt a common standard for mounting, but at least they have a good mount. If I can't use a Xeno mount on the OSS, however, it would be nice if I could use an OSS mount on the Nomad. To my knowledge, this isn't available yet. However, for the most part, these are for different rifles so not really an issue and why I was okay with the OSS mount for the rifles that will use it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#13]
AGB did the job for me
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t have one but I suspect the annular flow areas in the Helios help with flash. Regardless a FH front cap is useful if flash suppression is an important criteria. Not sure if CGS has released a FH front cap, but with thread in front caps it could be a future option.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an oss hxqd 762ti on a 7.62x39 16” cmmg I use for hunting and it works really well...OSS just changed their name to HUXWRX which is interesting...
I feel like oss had the market beat for a while but now most manufacturers are gonna beat them at their flow thru game with 3D printing crazy designs like cgs and sig.
I have another oss and nomad lt in jail (free stamps) and a Helios on back order...I think I’m going to return the oss and lt back to silencershop and get a second helios...
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Luny421

That 9.8oz weight.... is that including a mount of some kind?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I really like OSS Ti cans for 556 & 762 gas rifles. No increased back pressure, less port pop, and cleaner action.

For bolt guns and pistol calibers, I prefer CGS and Dead Air all day long. The only other brand that intrigues me is GSL, but I havn't jumped down that rabbit hole yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There are a few light 5.56 cans now.  The Explorr G2 224 at 9 ounces in 17-4.  There is an Energetic ARX around 9 also without using titanium.

The Explorr is also lower in muzzle and at ear noise than the HXQD.

With titanium you get a lighter duty schedule and sparking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Luny421

That 9.8oz weight.... is that including a mount of some kind?

There are a few light 5.56 cans now.  The Explorr G2 224 at 9 ounces in 17-4.  There is an Energetic ARX around 9 also without using titanium.

The Explorr is also lower in muzzle and at ear noise than the HXQD.

With titanium you get a lighter duty schedule and sparking.

Nice, quote the dude's question, but don't answer it and throw in a product placement of your own, sooo slick.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Surefire will be quieter to bystanders and have less flash than comparable OSS cans.

The OSS cans will have less backpressure and less noise to the shooter.  

KAC is a step up from surefire and CGS seems to be as well.  But they are even pricier.

https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I’ve never seen it quantified in any way, but I’ve always wondered how much blowback is coming through the gas tube vs how much is coming back down the bore? Most of the available gas management options only address flow through the gas system. Seems like a flow-through suppressor would help with both.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#23]
My LaRue Tranquilo has the least amount of blowback of any can that I own.  Yeah, it’s a heavy bitch but we are talking about gas in the face, right?
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My LaRue Tranquilo has the least amount of blowback of any can that I own.  Yeah, it’s a heavy bitch but we are talking about gas in the face, right?
View Quote

This.

The SURG submission video with the back pressure testing jig that inflates the balloon with excess gas from back pressure tells an interesting story. Night and day difference between LTs submission and the Surefire. I'd like to see that testing rig become an industry standard. The balloon can be replaced with a few sensors to get scientific numbers for detailed comparison.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've never seen it quantified in any way, but I've always wondered how much blowback is coming through the gas tube vs how much is coming back down the bore? Most of the available gas management options only address flow through the gas system. Seems like a flow-through suppressor would help with both.
View Quote
This is a point that is often ignored. Reduced back pressure is the better solution to the problem as you are getting closer to unsuppressed in functionality, but that generally has tradeoffs in suppressor weight and less sound mitigation.  

The gas back pressure down the bore can be somewhat mitigated with additional buffer weight and/or by a bolt carrier than has a different cam profile such as LMT Enhanced carrier or Surefire's similar product. These delay bolt unlocking and allow more time for pressure to exit through the suppressor.

A longer gas system length and a lower dwell time can also have an effect (A short carbine gas system opens the bolt sooner than a rifle gas system). I'm building an 11.5" AR with a Midlength gas system and LMT Enhanced carrier to test this with a YHM Turbo K.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A longer gas system length and a lower dwell time can also have an effect (A short carbine gas system opens the bolt sooner than a rifle gas system). I'm building an 11.5" AR with a Midlength gas system and LMT Enhanced carrier to test this with a YHM Turbo K.
View Quote
That should be nice assuming your 11.5" barrel is ported right or you are going to adjust it somehow.

Below is my favorite 556 shorty setup.
12.5" Midlength MicroMOA barrel with a MicroMOA baby Govnah ported at .067 for dedicated suppressed usage with the Brevis Ultra II suppressor (weighs only 5.8oz).  Don't even notice the weight.
Surefire OBC,
556 Tubb flat spring
A5 buffer tube
Since using the A5, I'm not using the proprietary Surefire buffer but instead using the Kynshot hydraulic RB5005 (carbine length) and a small spacer to prevent overtravel.
Nice full auto cyclic rate of 589 RPM.  Very uncommon to see a shorty M16 shoot that slow.  Easily pull singles in full auto with the Geissele SSF...or double or triples at will.

Probably the smoothest and most pleasant 556 upper I've fired in full auto is pictured below.  Same lower configuration as above as well (Surefire OBC also).
16" rifle length gas but with a custom fat gas tube for increased volume.
There is zero gas to the face.  Even enjoyable for one of my friends that is a lefty.  Super nice and slow full auto cyclic rate of 576 RPM as well.

I think the Surefire OBC is nice but I think the majority of the smoothness comes from the tuned gas system, Tubb flat spring and hydraulic buffer.  If I wasn't running the Surefire OBC, I would just use the RB5007 with the A5 tube instead and it is very close.  The Surefire brings the cyclic rate down a little which I like.  One concern I have is the long term affect the additional stroke length is going to have on the lower receiver since it has more distance to travel it has more inertia to slam into the BHO on the last round.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Probably the smoothest and most pleasant 556 upper I've fired in full auto is pictured below.  Same lower configuration as above as well (Surefire OBC also).
16" rifle length gas but with a custom fat gas tube for increased volume.

View Quote

Man you have the coolest stuff! That gas tube is crazy. I've been wondering about 16" rifle length gas, who makes that bbl? Or are they all custom cut downs? If anyone has a list of who makes 16" rifle length gas bbls please post em up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Man you have the coolest stuff! That gas tube is crazy. I've been wondering about 16" rifle length gas, who makes that bbl? Or are they all custom cut downs? If anyone has a list of who makes 16" rifle length gas bbls please post em up.
View Quote
Thanks!
I am the inventor of the MicroMOA Govnah gas blocks and back when I was in business my business partner was making these barrels as well as the gas blocks.  I still have a few new ones left over.  PM me if you are interested.

I have friends heavy into 3 gun competitions and they really wanted them for just that as they were really soft shooting.  It wasn't until recently that I played with them suppressed.  I have shot it side by side a friends Colt LMG upper and it is very similar to shooting the LMG but even slower cyclic rate and much quieter.

I think people forget that the Colt LMG's gas tube has more volume (larger internal diameter) than a standard rifle length gas tube which along with its hydraulic buffer, heavy barrel all contribute to it's legendary smoothness in full auto but IMHO, looks ugly to me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Vudoo / Adams Arms use to make a 16.5" barrel with a rifle length gas system. They quit making them several years ago.

Rainier Arms does an intermediate on their Ultra Match 16" barrel.  It's longer than a mid length but shorter than a rifle.

Stainless Nitride
https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatch-mod2-223-wylde-barrel-16-nitride/

Polished or Blasted Stainless
https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatch-mod2-223-wylde-int-barrel-16/
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Vudoo / Adams Arms use to make a 16.5" barrel with a rifle length gas system. They quit making them several years ago.
View Quote
My partner made them for Adams Arms as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That is cool- Rifle length fat gas tube.  PRI makes the carbine length one (their "Fat Boy" tube), I have a pair of those.
View Quote
Yep.  I use the PRI also...I wish they would do a mid and rifle length.

Here is also a blast from the past below:
I've only done limited testing with it.
LaFrance twin gas tube.   Very nice cyclic rate with the same buffer tube / buffer and spring configuration I mentioned above and the Surefire OBC.
Problem is it doesn't work with all the trendy rails you see these days.  Instructions also say to increase your port size and I really didn't want to do that.
The barrel in the picture I had ported already at .073 so I used that one for testing.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My partner made them for Adams Arms as well.
View Quote

I still have it in the parts bin. I grabbed it once they had already been discontinued. Found it online at a Gear Fire distributor.

I am going to do a Dissipator build with a JP adjustable front sight base.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Rainier Arms does an intermediate on their Ultra Match 16" barrel.  It's longer than a mid length but shorter than a rifle.

Stainless Nitride
https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatch-mod2-223-wylde-barrel-16-nitride/

Polished or Blasted Stainless
https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatch-mod2-223-wylde-int-barrel-16/
View Quote

Thank you! And thank you amphibian, you da man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top