Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2022 10:00:50 AM EDT
I've heard some pros and cons of suppressor covers, what say you all?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven’t found one that actually stays put. Some are surprisingly heavy for what they are.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Voted yay, but really depends on the suppressor, optic, shooter, style of shooting, etc.  

For a SBR, high volume shooting with optics?   Yes
For a hunting rifle where one or two shots is all you’ll get?  Probably not
For a handgun that may go against my leg when holstered and be hot? Yes
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Voted yay, but really depends on the suppressor, optic, shooter, style of shooting, etc.  

For a SBR, high volume shooting with optics?   Yes
For a hunting rifle where one or two shots is all you’ll get?  Probably not
View Quote

Good points, I never considered one on a handgun
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I like my BPG cover because when I’m done at the range I can put my rifle in the truck without worrying about it burning my seats or floor mats
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I use them to keep mirage out of my magnified optics, and on SBRs to avoid burning my legs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Magnified optics? Yes, mirage is a thing.

Otherwise, not really. It's added weight and it holds heat in the can as long as it's attached. Some are easier to install/remove than others so you can put it on when shooting, then remove it to allow the can to cool. But the ones that are quicker/easier to remove tend not to stay put when in use. I've got a handful of covers and they rarely get used anymore.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#8]
only for short term mirage mitigation on long range runs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, because I prefer not to melt my pants to my leg when I sling the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of Tom Bowers "Griptastic" silicone cover.
View Quote

I wanted to try a couple but they've been out of stock for a long time. I had the page bookmarked and one day it started getting the 404 error. Then searching the Bowers home page for griptastic or cover doesn't find them. Looks like they're discontinued.

ETA: Just sent them an email to ask.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#12]
No. Weight, aesthetics, cooling mitigation all reasons against
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#13]
In a class all day or any high volume shooting? Yeppers. Beats getting burned.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Will suppressor height sights actually clear a suppressor cover on a pistol?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of Tom Bowers "Griptastic" silicone cover.
View Quote

Me too.  

Doesn't look as tacticool, but it does keep one from getting burned.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I wanted to try a couple but they've been out of stock for a long time. I had the page bookmarked and one day it started getting the 404 error. Then searching the Bowers home page for griptastic or cover doesn't find them. Looks like they're discontinued.

ETA: Just sent them an email to ask.

View Quote

I think I got mine a couple years ago.  But I just, you know, picked up the phone and called them.  

Sort of a 80's or 90's moment, but the cover came to my house with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Can I select "Maybe?" as an answer?

Since Covid my training has changed pretty significantly.  I used to attend at least one rifle class a year and I used to shoot at least 500 rounds of rifle ammo a month.  The vast majority of the drills that I was running were between 3 and 100 yards with a large percentage of those being closer rather than farther.  The guns would get hot, really hot and I would have to be very careful of where the suppressor was landing during training.  I invested in a burn proof cover which was absolute garbage.  That thing would not stay put despite literally almost wrapping it around the entire damned ends of the can.  I also didn't like that it was on there permanently so If i wanted to remove it, it was an ordeal.

I don't shoot with any magnified optics besides a 3X magnifier so mirage for me was never a concern.

Since Covid, the guns simply dont get as hot and I haven't really found a need for them.

Yay:

High volume training
Precision rifle mirage reduction
Duty use where IF you burn your pants, getting a replacement takes an act of congress (retarded reasoning but its the truth)

Nay:

Basically any other use.  Rifles are getting pretty heavy with MFAL's, lights and other shit.  Adding ounces to the muzzle end of the gun beyond what the suppressor is already adding is not something I want to be doing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Bowers Griptastic suppressor covers are discontinued.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The covers unfortunately add weight to the end of the gun where it is least acceptable, and they insulate the can that needs to cool.  
View Quote
These two issues alone make them a big Nope for me.

But I rarely use magnified optics.

I do use a suppressor bag but not for shooting, only for transport.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I haven’t found one that actually stays put. Some are surprisingly heavy for what they are.
View Quote

I started tying the wrap to the handguard.  Looks a bit goofy, but it keeps it in place.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Mirage shows up pretty quick when I'm shooting groups with the 556 bolt gun, so yay for me.  In that instance at least.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Libertys Defense are the shizz
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Libertys Defense are the shizz
View Quote

Wow, those are pricey!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No. Weight, aesthetics, cooling mitigation all reasons against
View Quote
These for me, plus lack of staying put are enough. Plus, I rarely shoot 5.56 any more.

But, I do kinda see a value as I do like the not burning me or my truck if slung or leaned up against though.

My 556 Can heats up enough to where I can cook on it.  My .22, 9mm, .45 and .300 Blk cans not so much to worry about.  They don't get that hot and cool off really fast.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60042/20200716_164058-1506695.jpg

Me too.  

View Quote
You order that from "As Seen On TV" or The Kitchen Store????

J/p... Doesn't really look bad.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Yay, but the particular cover does matter.

Having a destructive, 3rd-degree-burn risk waving around on the end of a barrel is just not something I want to deal with. Jack Leuba (of KAC) posted a bit on TOS about covers. We all understand the theory of trapping the heat in, but his post about KAC's testing alleviated much of that concern for me. Suppressors also tend to glow brightly under night vision after relatively small strings of fire.

I have a Burn Proof Gear heavy version that wraps around both ends of a Sandman K. I chose it because of that wrapping feature, and because it was designed for semi-auto carbine things, not precision shooting things. It has been great and saved a pair of pants at least once so far. I don't know why the other poster had issues with it moving. Mine will spin, but I can hold the whole weapon by the suppressor/cover and yank on it without it sliding off. I have personally seen, and heard more of, Cole-Tac's traditional covers sliding off after very tame use. I agree that the end of the barrel/suppressor is the worst place for weight, but I've found the BPG cover to be negligible in adding weight. The BPG does wrap over my Key-Mo mount, so it does have to be "unlaced" to take the cover on and off, but I just keep it on and have no need to attach/detach quickly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60042/20200716_164058-1506695.jpg

Me too.  

Lol.  It is exactly like the silicon kitchen stuff.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I have them in my rifle suppressors, but that's it. My pistol suppressors don't get dangerously hot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What does TOS stand for?  We never tested silencer covers except to know that they work fine for practical shooting and precision shooting.  We never torture tested the suppressors with the covers because that would seem obvious to result in silencers that cannot cool efficiently.  Insulation is how they prevent burns.
View Quote

TOS = The Other Site, aka em-four-carbine-dot-net.

I wouldn't be confident recommending a cloth-based cover for full-auto or massive amounts of rapid-fire. Of course I'm not going to test the limits with my own equipment either.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yay, but the particular cover does matter.

Having a destructive, 3rd-degree-burn risk waving around on the end of a barrel is just not something I want to deal with. Jack Leuba (of KAC) posted a bit on TOS about covers. We all understand the theory of trapping the heat in, but his post about KAC's testing alleviated much of that concern for me. Suppressors also tend to glow brightly under night vision after relatively small strings of fire.

I have a Burn Proof Gear heavy version that wraps around both ends of a Sandman K. I chose it because of that wrapping feature, and because it was designed for semi-auto carbine things, not precision shooting things. It has been great and saved a pair of pants at least once so far. I don't know why the other poster had issues with it moving. Mine will spin, but I can hold the whole weapon by the suppressor/cover and yank on it without it sliding off. I have personally seen, and heard more of, Cole-Tac's traditional covers sliding off after very tame use. I agree that the end of the barrel/suppressor is the worst place for weight, but I've found the BPG cover to be negligible in adding weight. The BPG does wrap over my Key-Mo mount, so it does have to be "unlaced" to take the cover on and off, but I just keep it on and have no need to attach/detach quickly.
View Quote

I will second this.
I also run a Burn Proof Gear cover. Mine is on a G5-T and I subject it to regular FA use.
It was a learning experience for me but after a few trips, I managed to get it fitted to where it won't slip. The only real issue I had with it was the elastic tie it was supplied with. I got it hot enough that it lost it's elasticity and I decided to replace it with nomex, flame resistant, kevlar core shoe laces. These stand up to the heat much better than the elastic did and I have not had to replace or tighten them.
And under most conditions, I don't need to use a oven mitt to remove it, the cover provides enough protection from the heat that I can remove it wearing just my normal shooting gloves.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#35]
I have the Bowers cut to size and slip on covers on all my rifle cans.

As other's have said, it's too hazardous for me to have a 600 F or higher suppressor on the end of a rifle, for me.  I've seen (nasty!) pictures of burns from cans, and that plus the danger of instinctive jumping around after a burn (with a gun in your hands) is worth having to push the cover back down after 40 - 50 rounds, which happens sometimes, not always.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top