Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2018 10:39:10 AM EDT
Hi all,

I have a Dead Air Sandman S for my KAC SR15 and Bowers Vers 9s for my CZ Scorpion but both are in jail still (check cashed 1/10/18) so still a long way to go. I chose the Sandman S for the KAC as I wanted low back pressure to match the intermediate gas system, great tone, warranty, and minimal gas to the face.

As such, I have decided to purchase a suppressor for each of my other firearms and keep them on 100% of the time. I won’t be running and gunning, hunting or entering PRS competitions. I will shoot primarily from a bench or prone and mostly stay stationary.

I do plan on mag dumps to have fun so getting a full titanium can for the AR15s is somewhat scary. I will always be wearing ear pro (actually ear plugs and over the ear muffs).

My priorities are: at the ear numbers, tone, minimal gas to the face, low back pressure, and warranty. Weight isn’t an issue since the guns will be stationary.

Here are my hosts and current considerations:

•6.5 Creedmoor bolt action – TBAC Ultra 9 6.5 CB, Dead Air Sandman L, Q Thunder Chicken, Sig SRD 762 QD TI
•223 Wylde 20” Bartlein AR15 with an SLR AGB – Dead Air Sandman S, Sig SRD 556 QD, Q Trash Panda
•224 Valkyrie 20” Rock Creek AR15 with an SLR AGB – Dead Air Sandman S, Sig SRD 556 QD, Q Trash Panda

For the 6.5 Creedmoor, the TBAC Ultra 9 speaks for itself: precise, minimal POI/POA shift, great sound and suppression, and phenomenal CS. The Sandman L is much heavier but not sure that matters on a bolt gun. It sounds like the Thunder Chicken and Sig SRD 762 QD TI are solid choices, but I’d like to continue to read more.

For the AR15s, I could keep consistent and use a Sandman S across the board. With the Q Trash Panda, I am also not sure how it would hold up to 2-3 continuous mag dumps on the AR-15s. As for considering the Sig SRD 556 QD, it sounds like a great suppressor for 223/556: low back pressure, not much gas to the face, good tone, a few ounces lighter than the Sandman S, and a bit more internal volume. And getting two of them vs two Sandman S saves about $400 bucks which is a good amount of ammo.

Thanks again for your help.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the SRD 556Ti QD, but I don’t do mag dumps with it, just aimed fire.  It metered at 132DB on an 11.5” SBR.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The sig is the quietest 556 can I have shot and their mounting system is awesome.

Full auto on an 11.5 and I dont even wear hearing protection. Nothing else can do that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally I went with a Sandman K for my AR rifles.  It doesn't add much length to 18" SPR type guns or SBRs.  The Sandman S is a good longer/quieter option as well.

I also just bought a Q Full Nelson that will live on a bolt gun that will be based on a Bighorn action.  It'll probably be in 6.5 Creedmoor, but I'm still undecided on that.  I wanted max suppression and minimum added weight, so the Full Nelson seemed like a perfect fit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The sig is the quietest 556 can I have shot and their mounting system is awesome.

Full auto on an 11.5 and I dont even wear hearing protection. Nothing else can do that.
View Quote
Do you have the steel or the titanium version?  The steel version looks like a great value.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, everyone. I decided to get two Sig SRD 556 QDs for the 223 Wylde and 224 Valkyrie. So many positive comments and since they will live on 223 rifles, I can't go wrong.

I decided to go with the Sandman L vs TBAC or Q as I heard my friends on his 308 bolt gun and it was perfect. He then proceeded to throw it on his PWS MK216 308 and mag dump away. It was long but sounded great. No gas in the face and can take a beating. Now I want a 308 to have fun with.

One day I will get a TBAC when Silencershop has them in stock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
How's the tone, blowback and gas in the face?

I plan on using either a PRI Gasbuster or Radian SD in conjunction with the SLR AGB.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Where are you located?  I am in VA if you want to try my Sig.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Dang, thanks for the offer. I am about as far away as possible: Washington State.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I plan on using either a PRI Gasbuster or Radian SD in conjunction with the SLR AGB.
View Quote
I have a srd556tiqd on a 10.5 ar 5.56. It has very little blowback or gas to the face.

I don’t do mag dump after mag dump but I don’t baby it either. When I bought it from the Sig shop I was told it would handle a 10.5 no problem so that’s how I use it. So far, no problem. Around 750 non babied but not beaten rounds.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:05:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you have the steel or the titanium version?  The steel version looks like a great value.
View Quote
I have both. They are the same essentially... weight difference is not worth the extra money imo. TI is one? Baffle longer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:08:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Very dull its nice. I use a Geissele charging handle blowback almost non existent. Not sure how they designed it to stay so quiet and have very low blowback. There are a TON of baffles. It might have something to do with all the holes cut into the baffles when you look down into it you can see them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to be a party pooper but did you check to see if the Sig is rated for the Valkyrie?

Just because it's the same caliber doesn't necessarily mean it's gtg
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not to be a party pooper but did you check to see if the Sig is rated for the Valkyrie?

View Quote
The Sig website just states 223/5.56, so I would definitely ask Sig directly.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Great reminder. Will call them tomorrow. If they say no, I will look at the 762 QD or another Sandman S to be safe. I will verify with DA as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The TBAC 223 Ultra 7 might be the ticket. Rated for .223 WSSM (minimum 18" barrel).
View Quote
I was defintely looking at the TBAC for 223 but after reading the mag dump warning on TBAC's site, I am nervous.

However, you are the only dealer with a TBAC 6.5 Ultra 9 in stock ;). I may need to get this specifically for the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I should have clarified:

- 223 Ultra 7 for the 224 Valkyrie
- Ultra 9-6.5 for the Creedmoor
- Sandman-S, Energetic Vox, Rugged Razor, YHM Turbo, YHM Resonator or SilencerCo Chimera for 5.56mm.
View Quote
Thanks, sir. Great advice.

FYI...I spoke with Sig and they recommend the Sig 762QD for the 224V to error on the side of caution.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

FYI...I spoke with Sig and they recommend the Sig 762QD for the 224V to error on the side of caution.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should have clarified:

- 223 Ultra 7 for the 224 Valkyrie
- Ultra 9-6.5 for the Creedmoor
- Sandman-S, Energetic Vox, Rugged Razor, YHM Turbo, YHM Resonator or SilencerCo Chimera for 5.56mm.

I kind of figured that's what they would say due to my last conversation regarding the 556ti-qd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top