Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2019 11:15:33 PM EDT
My buddy sent me this monocular to try and fix, evidently someone left the alkaline batteries in it over a long period of time and they puked all in the battery compartment, which also by poor design contained the circuit board. When I opened it up to check the tube I found this I`ve never seen one with this designation (XX1613/P04) and I can`t find out anything online about it, even on Photonis` website. What I can tell by looking at it is that it`s a fat ANVIS tube with flying leads and a fiber-optic input, and it appears to be a white phosphor tube from the look of the output window. (blue tint). More pics:
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 2:15:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Photonis uses a unique fiber coupler that appears more milky or otherwise distinctive from fiber couplers on US tubes. Green and white phosphors look identical under ambient lighting. That being said, a P4 phosphor is white (same formulation as used on old black and white TV CRTs). Wonder if the P04 after the tube number alludes to that?
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
the white phosphor tubes i have seen from photonis have been xw    instead of xx
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
So I checked the tube by piercing the power supply wires with a pair of sewing needles (didn`t want to cut the wires yet) and It`s a green phosphor tube, looks like P22. txdx was right, the output end looks identical to a Photonis WP tube I have (johnelot is correct too). I found out the housing is a Swarovski NC2 with a SuperGen tube, which was designed to mount behind their spotting scopes marketed for birding. I think they used this tube format because they had an earlier version of the same housing, (NC1) that probably used MX9916 tubes.

My buddy doesn`t want the unit because the tube wont fit in a modern monocular housing, so he offered to sell it to me for double what he paid for it, $300.00! not only that, it came with a Navitron 25mm f0.95 c-mount lens.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I checked the tube by piercing the power supply wires with a pair of sewing needles (didn`t want to cut the wires yet) and It`s a green phosphor tube, looks like P22. txdx was right, the output end looks identical to a Photonis WP tube I have (johnelot is correct too). I found out the housing is a Swarovski NC2 with a SuperGen tube, which was designed to mount behind their spotting scopes marketed for birding. I think they used this tube format because they had an earlier version of the same housing, (NC1) that probably used MX9916 tubes.

My buddy doesn`t want the unit because the tube wont fit in a modern monocular housing, so he offered to sell it to me for double what he paid for it, $300.00! not only that, it came with a Navitron 25mm f0.95 c-mount lens.
View Quote
Not a bad deal! Those fast 25mm lenses are nice. Let me know if you ever decide to part with it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgive my dumbness. What is that?
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Forgive my dumbness. What is that?
View Quote
The Navitar lens? It`s a very high performance c-mount objective lens, the lower (faster) the f #  the more light it lets in. a PVS-14 lens is f1.2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top