Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2023 7:21:26 PM EDT
I have a Traditions Kentucky Rifle kit, but I don't like the 2-piece stock.  How difficult would it be to use a different stock from a black powder supplier?

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Get one that’s very close and still look forward to a whole lot of hand fitting
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It would probably just be easier to sell or trade for what you want. Unless your willing to do a lot of fitting and in letting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:47:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
You can make the two piece stock into a one piece. Ream out the ram rod hole at the juncture to fit a brass 1/2 x 1/2 PEX connector.  Rough up the connector pins. Epoxy it all together.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Traditions kit stocks are pretty bulky. You can slim the fore end down a lot.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice Jobe there Uplander!
View Quote

X2 that looks great.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It would probably just be easier to sell or trade for what you want. Unless your willing to do a lot of fitting and in letting.
View Quote

I don’t mind the fitting. The rifle was a gift, so I don’t want to sell it, and a have woodworking skills.

I’m finding stocks online, but nothing that explicitly says “Kentucky Rifle,” so I don’t know what to get.

For example, here.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can make the two piece stock into a one piece. Ream out the ram rod hole at the juncture to fit a brass 1/2 x 1/2 PEX connector.  Rough up the connector pins. Epoxy it all together.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/114193/IMG_0801_jpg-2738222.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/114193/IMG_0208_jpg-2738224.JPG
View Quote
Do this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, I was planning to get the kit and glue it together like that, but wavered once I found a nicely-done factory finished rifle (p/n R2020) for practically the same price and I really didn't want to mess with it after I got it. After I started shooting it and cleaning it I realized that it's a pretty good setup. For cleaning, I remove the lock, remove the tang screw, and remove the barrel from the buttstock section leaving the pinned forearm on there. Then I can stick the breech in a bucket of hot soapy water and suction/pump clean it with the ramrod just like a hooked-breech rifle. Not trying to sway you, just my 2 cents, I don't like the look of it either, but it sure is handy.

ETA: gotta admit @Uplander that's a sweet job you did on your rifle.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP, I was planning to get the kit and glue it together like that, but wavered once I found a nicely-done factory finished rifle (p/n R2020) for practically the same price and I really didn't want to mess with it after I got it. After I started shooting it and cleaning it I realized that it's a pretty good setup. For cleaning, I remove the lock, remove the tang screw, and remove the barrel from the buttstock section leaving the pinned forearm on there. Then I can stick the breech in a bucket of hot soapy water and suction/pump clean it with the ramrod just like a hooked-breech rifle. Not trying to sway you, just my 2 cents, I don't like the look of it either, but it sure is handy.

ETA: gotta admit @Uplander that's a sweet job you did on your rifle.
View Quote

I appreciate the suggestion, but as I said in a later post, it's a gift from my wife.  I still want a one piece stock, but may try the epoxy method as Uplander suggested, especially if the resulting grain pattern isn't horrible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top