Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2020 1:20:41 AM EDT
PCCs seem to be on the pricey side, unless you go with a HiPoint carbine. Any good .45 PCCs for under $1k? Only ones I can think of are Auto-Ordnance's Thompsons, which seem to have an iffy reputation. Kriss is several hundred over that, though maybe used ones are in my price range. My carry gun is a .45, so I'm more inclined to get a gun in that so I only have to shell out money for the gun and mags.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]
For any kind of PCC competition be it USPSA, Steel Challenge, ect, you are going to want a gun that is light, reliable, has good trigger, and uses standard, reliable mags.
That being said, most of the good options will be above a grand in price.

I struggled for a while in choosing a PCC in 45ACP.  I ended up getting a CMMG which uses Glock mags.
The selling point for me was the radial delayed blowback operating system which allows for a much lighter bolt, with less recoiling mass.
2 years and thousands of rounds later, I have no regrets.

If I were to recommend a different .45ACP PCC other than the CMMG, it would be the Quarter Circle 10 Big Tex, as it has a side charging handle, although the price point is over $2K
I did not go with the KRISS because of the bad trigger, and unwieldy ergonomics.  I think you will find the same issue with the Thompson.  The Thompson having the additional downfall of being slow to reload under the clock.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:32:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For any kind of PCC competition be it USPSA, Steel Challenge, ect, you are going to want a gun that is light, reliable, has good trigger, and uses standard, reliable mags.
That being said, most of the good options will be above a grand in price.

I struggled for a while in choosing a PCC in 45ACP.  I ended up getting a CMMG which uses Glock mags.
The selling point for me was the radial delayed blowback operating system which allows for a much lighter bolt, with less recoiling mass.
2 years and thousands of rounds later, I have no regrets.

If I were to recommend a different .45ACP PCC other than the CMMG, it would be the Quarter Circle 10 Big Tex, as it has a side charging handle, although the price point is over $2K
I did not go with the KRISS because of the bad trigger, and unwieldy ergonomics.  I think you will find the same issue with the Thompson.  The Thompson having the additional downfall of being slow to reload under the clock.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/25694/CMMG_and_GLOCK-310886_jpg-1251662.JPG
View Quote
I've heard many good things about the CMMG guns - looks like some places do have them available around my price point.
The Thompson, while I like the look of the thing, is by all accounts a heavy beast - the lightest model is the same weight as my AR10 with a scope, the heaviest one is around 13lbs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:02:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've heard many good things about the CMMG guns - looks like some places do have them available around my price point.
The Thompson, while I like the look of the thing, is by all accounts a heavy beast - the lightest model is the same weight as my AR10 with a scope, the heaviest one is around 13lbs.
View Quote
CMMG makes good shit although you will have to pay for it. I bought one of their uppers in 9mm with the RDB and EndoMags. It just works with out issues and with a Law Tactical folder on it. And works good with my Obsidian 45 can on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#4]
FM / Foxtrot Mike recently released their Pistol caliber guns in 45 and they should be coming in under a grand. I would look there. Why 45 though?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
FM / Foxtrot Mike recently released their Pistol caliber guns in 45 and they should be coming in under a grand. I would look there. Why 45 though?
View Quote
Why 45 ACP?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are looking for a DI pcc in 45acp I suggest looking to RMWXTREME.COM Ron builds great guns and being DI will be the softest recoil compared to a blowback or radial blowback  (although I haven't shot a radial blowback gun I hear/have seen posts that you still need heavier springs and buffers???)
Ron can use Glock lower, Greasegun lower or his hybrid lower that takes both standard 223 mags and greasegun mags and still meet your $ I have shot several of his guns FA and they are a hoot shooting FA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have shot many PCC's and will attest the felt recoil impulse of the Radial Delayed Blowback of the CMMG feels less than that of the numerous 9mm PCC's I have shot.

Felt recoil should not be the only consideration.  Ergonomics such as reliability, Controls, trigger, accuracy, and features such as the shape of the mag well, which translates into ease of reloading,  and last round bolt hold open.

Personally, if you plan on shooting cast bullets out of your PCC, I would stay away from a gas operated system, for obvious reasons.

I watched both of the RMW extreme video of their DI pistol, and noted the last round bolt hold open did not work, or does not exist.  I'm not sure which one.

hope this helps.
Danomite
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
macon armory .45 cal DI upper

site supporter

https://maconarmory.com/products/11-upper-receiver-group-direct-impingement
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have shot many PCC's and will attest the felt recoil impulse of the Radial Delayed Blowback of the CMMG feels less than that of the numerous 9mm PCC's I have shot.

Felt recoil should not be the only consideration.  Ergonomics such as reliability, Controls, trigger, accuracy, and features such as the shape of the mag well, which translates into ease of reloading,  and last round bolt hold open.

Personally, if you plan on shooting cast bullets out of your PCC, I would stay away from a gas operated system, for obvious reasons.

I watched both of the RMW extreme video of their DI pistol, and noted the last round bolt hold open did not work, or does not exist.  I'm not sure which one.

hope this helps.
Danomite
View Quote
As stated I have no experience with the radial blowback so I can only speak to what I have seen many members here that do build them say and suggest, they are an option but the OP asked for sub 1K PCC complete gun and I am not sure a CMMG RDB complete gun sells under 1K? I could be wrong.
As far as recoil and ergonomics that is a personal preference and can be changed to meet what someone wants/likes. The same with LRBHO, some people can't live without it and others like me don't care, I can take it or not. The MP5 and variants don't have LRBHO and are still popular and selling. RMW's hybrid lower has the standard bolt hold open and works but since the greasegun mags don't have any provisions for it the LRBHO doesn't work. Same with dedicated gg mag lowers I have seen. There have been several mfgs that have done Glock lowers and attempted to build a LRBHO and it seems work or not.
I have shot thousands of cast bullets in my DI pcc guns and are no worse then shooting plated bullets and I have shot some plated bullets with a thin jacket that caused more trash in the gas system then cast (I pc/Hitek coat my cast bullets so no wax based lube). Cast has to be sized correctly and of proper hardness and does have limitations but can be shot with minimal issues. Is running cast bullets in a DI AR for everyone NOPE but it can be done and be just as accurate and reliable as jacketed rounds.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I think Beretta made their Storm carbine in .45, for a while at least.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#11]
See if any of the stores you are buying from offer a layaway. I've sold a lot of guns through layaway programs.

The CMMG 45 is gonna be hard to beat. Definitely don't get a Kriss. I did not like mine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock 45 with a Flux heavy kit on it. You're into it for the price of a Glock (like 500 with blue label) and then maybe $300 for the brace. I have $650 into my 17 set up between blue label and buying the flux used. It fits for all the stuff I could possibly see needing a PCC. I like it so much I may build another to be a HD gun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Just Right Carbine or TNW ASR are available in .45 around $600.
I had a JRC in .45 and while it was accurate, had issues getting it to run reliably.
Sold it for an ASRin 10mm, ran great right out of the box. Much lighted &smaller but a poor trigger and not AR compatible like JRC.

PSA was making some nice .45 blowback ARs but they’ve been OOS for a long time, although they claim they’re not out of production.

Storm in .45 is a good option if you can find one, but they only take Cougar mags. Never understood why they didn’t do a PX4 magwell adaptor.

Extar is supposed to be coming out with a .45 if a braced pistol is acceptable.

Is there a large frame Flux out? Their site only shows the medium frame Glocks listed, not the large frame 20/21/40/41s.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
DI Upper from Macon Armory.  As mentioned above.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an MPA10 that takes grease gun mags, has a gen 2 tailhook and a red dot, extremely reliable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:09:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Glock 45 with a Flux heavy kit on it. You're into it for the price of a Glock (like 500 with blue label) and then maybe $300 for the brace. I have $650 into my 17 set up between blue label and buying the flux used. It fits for all the stuff I could possibly see needing a PCC. I like it so much I may build another to be a HD gun.
https://i.imgur.com/Vaymy8p.jpg
View Quote
Damn, Flux makes some very cool stuff. I'd almost buy a 320 just to use the M17 brace they have.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Stern defense makes a kit for M&P in 45.  Unsure if you can put it all together for under a grand.  I like 45 PCC, if limited to semi auto, think you have a harder hitting package inside of 50 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top